Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home improvement - hanging pegboard on concrete walls?

Flirting With The Redline keithb's Avatar

Home improvement - hanging pegboard on concrete walls?

Thought I might benefit from the collective knowledge here. I'd like to hang some pegboard in my garage. The garage is under the house, so the walls are concrete, and I'll need to put up some furring to attach the pegboard to.

As I see it, I have two options for adhering the furring to the concrete - rent a hammer drill and use concrete anchors, or use construction adhesive. The drill is more time-consuming, and probably more expensive (not sure), but it might be the stronger connection (again not sure) and I get to play with cool tools The adhesive is faster and simpler.

Any opinions on which option to take? Any other ideas? (don't say 'hang it from the rafters' - since the garage is under living space, the ceiling is plastered, and I'd rather not have to break into that)
    '74 Harley Sportster

I'd use a power-actuated nail gun

Use some Cobra Parawedge concrete anchors (or equivalent) to fasten a couple 2x4 's where you want to put the pegboard, then screw the pegboard to the boards. Just be sure to use enough anchors to rate 4X's the weight of your tools as an industry standard. Each one usually rates for over 4000lbs, so you still wouldn't need very many. The ones in the link are rated for 6200lbs each.
    This will give you plenty of strength for your heavy tools, and minimize the number of holes you have to put in the concrete (which in a basement is often part of the foundation of the house, and the number of holes matter).
    "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." -- Jesus

"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire, once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher." -- Peter Gabriel

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Solid concrete or cinderblock?

Perhaps this is helpful...
    http://www.concretefasteners.com/anchoring/index.aspx

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! A_Pmech's Avatar
    All of my buildings are concrete. I use expanding anchors for most of my stuff, although I sometimes use concrete screws. Both can be found a Lowe's.

Regardless, you'll want to buy or rent a hammer drill to make the holes. Bosch and Dewalt make a few small "homeowner" hammer drills in the $250 range, I think.

Make sure to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and instructions regarding set depth, torque, etc. I have a 700lb rotary phase converter hanging off a wall in my shop, using expanding-type anchors.
    Every zero you add to the tolerance adds a zero to the price.

Time to spare? Travel by air!

Red '96 GS500, slightly modified.
    Black '03 SV650, heavily modified.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! monty's Avatar
    Go to lowes talk to the guy in the blue vest He will put you on the right path but I used a concrete drill bit and anchors.

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    I used a concrete drill bit and anchors.
    That's how I do it. Just my standard multi-use drill with a masonry bit. I just stick a little straw into the hole and blow the dust out before setting the anchors.
    "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." -- Jesus

"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire, once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher." -- Peter Gabriel

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Pmech View Post
    Regardless, you'll want to buy or rent a hammer drill to make the holes.
    +1

and good bits, and bring your patience and let the drill do the work.

Hammer Time!

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Poured walls or concrete block??? If it's poured walls, use Tapcons.....with block, just use the adhesive, and a lot of it.
    Silver '07 Kawi Ninja 250R (sold)
    '09 Kawi Versys

Quote Originally Posted by Overcaffeinated View Post
    Oh, hell, Smurf's right.
    First Missouri, then Minnesota, now Michigan.....it is my goal in life to live in every state that starts with "M" before I die.....

Didn't vote??? Don't whine....

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Paduan's Avatar
    The technology of modern adhesives has pretty much replaced mechnical fastening in building construction.

Easier, quicker, les expensive.

Why not take advantage of it?
    The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time congress meets.

2005 Goldwing GL1800 - Arctic Camo