Thread: 1985 GS700es

1985 GS700es

Who knows anything about these? It looks very cool, inline 4cyl, neeked, 80hp and $600!

I don't think that's the actual photo cause every picture of the gs I pull up is that one.
    2003 YamahaV-Star XVS650 White Goose....SOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by ncgal_in_mo View Post
    Srsly...a gal just can't be mad for long at a guy whose name is SUPERWOODY!
    1992 Vulcan 500 SOLD! ........ sniff, sniff)

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Repeater's Avatar
    80HP is waaaaay optimistic. You're talking 55-60HP at the rear wheel, 60 as an absolute tops.

That being said, it's a GS. It's simple, it's stone-axe reliable, and it's just a damned cool bike to begin with. It's standard late UJM-era stuff, really. The single rear shock (rather than the earlier outboard dual shocks) is a boon to handling. The frame/swingarm are less flexy than the earlier GSes, as well. Dual front discs FTW, much better than the earlier single-discs...

I personally like the ES model GSes a whole lot. If I'd have looked for longer, I'd have waited for a mid '80s GS550ES rather than my older E model. I like the seating position better, and the look of them makes me grin.

$600? If it runs fairly well and is in presentable cosmetic shape, it's a fair price. A fellow on the GS Resources board has a restoration thread going of his - it's looking beautiful so far!

I say you should probably buy it. Just 'cause.

ETA : Restoration thread!
    Dude, I loved your band's cover of "Straight Edge Revenge". I would've sang along but I was at the back buying beers. - Scott Vogel

2005 Kawasaki Z750S (Ayako) - for sale
    2008 Yamaha WR250X (Damselfly) - for sale

BBO Communications Liaison 5000 Posts! RockyMtnRoadRash's Avatar
    Snag that sucker. A running GS for 600 is a deal. My '81 L was 600 bucks and I sold it for 700.
    -RMRR
    "This guarantee does not cover sharkbite, bear attack, or children under 5." - Pelican case lifetime guarantee

It's vitally important to know the correct name for all parts of a vehicle so that you can curse them accurately when they break.

Давай детка, будь моей обезьянкой

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    80HP is waaaaay optimistic. You're talking 55-60HP at the rear wheel, 60 as an absolute tops.

That being said, it's a GS. It's simple, it's stone-axe reliable, and it's just a damned cool bike to begin with. It's standard late UJM-era stuff, really. The single rear shock (rather than the earlier outboard dual shocks) is a boon to handling. The frame/swingarm are less flexy than the earlier GSes, as well. Dual front discs FTW, much better than the earlier single-discs...

I personally like the ES model GSes a whole lot. If I'd have looked for longer, I'd have waited for a mid '80s GS550ES rather than my older E model. I like the seating position better, and the look of them makes me grin.

$600? If it runs fairly well and is in presentable cosmetic shape, it's a fair price. A fellow on the GS Resources board has a restoration thread going of his - it's looking beautiful so far!

I say you should probably buy it. Just 'cause.

ETA : Restoration thread!

I figured that number was a farce, I just quoted this site

Like I said I really don't know what it looks like because they obviously used a generic photo but I may inquire just for the HOI !
    2003 YamahaV-Star XVS650 White Goose....SOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by ncgal_in_mo View Post
    Srsly...a gal just can't be mad for long at a guy whose name is SUPERWOODY!
    1992 Vulcan 500 SOLD! ........ sniff, sniff)