Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a "long oval" fitting helment.

looking for a "long oval" fitting helment.

I need a new helmet and I apparently have a "long oval" head shape ( long front to back but narrow side to side ). Most helmets I've tried just won't fit correctly. I normally have to go one size larger to get the correct fit front to back and then have wobble in the sides.

The Aria Profile, made spec. for my head shape is awsome but also has an awsome price. Is there anyone out there that has a "long oval" head and has found a model that fits their head.

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! atonic's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Try on an HJC.
    The cost of a motorcycle is merely a down payment on farkles.

I have a similar head. I found HJC helmets to be very very similar in shape. I ended up buying one instead of the Arai. I've also heard rumor that HJC manufacture's the Icon helmet shell but I have no idea as to the validity of that (nor have I tried on an Icon to compare).

Quote Originally Posted by midlifeninja View Post
    The Aria Profile, made spec. for my head shape is awsome but also has an awsome price. Is there anyone out there that has a "long oval" head and has found a model that fits their head.
    Sadly, I have an Arai Profile 'cos I have a long oval head.

It's super comfy.

It has a Union Jack on.

It was super expensive. But I am cursed with an Arai head and haven't found anything else as comfy.
    --
    M.I.T.G.C #11

Current bike: '11 Ducati MTS1200S, '08 WR250X
    Bikes I have owned: '06 Sprint ST, '06 KTM 950 SM, '03 KLR 650

I too have a long oval...Arai Profile fits me best.

Flirting With The Redline 5000 Posts! crankshaft's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by midlifeninja View Post
    The Aria Profile, made spec. for my head shape is awsome but also has an awsome price.
    Isn't your head worth it??
    '07 FJR 1300
    '05 VTX 1300
    '02 ACE 750 - Sold
    Home of the Bug Bash
    15 Years!
    August 3 - August 5 2018

Contributor We've stopped counting... Overcaffeinated's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have the long oval Arai as well.

It's like this: The HJC won't hurt you. It's close enough. IIRC, there's a thread on here somewhere about customizing the inside of your helmet to alleviate a pressure point, and it involves those little foam sanding blocks you buy in the paint section at Home Depot.

But don't even dare stick your head in something you think will fit you perfectly, because that's going to make it really really hard to go back to your sort-of-good-enough helmet.

That's what happened to me.

I figured I'd just try one on...
    My two wheels:
    1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.
    2015 Schacht Reeves, 30", double drive, single treadle, high speed kit, ash.

The Arai Quantum fits me perfectly, I thought that one was a long oval shape but maybe I was wrong about that. Scorpion seems to fit me almost as well. I haven't found any other bargain helmets that fit nearly as well.

Contributor We've stopped counting... Overcaffeinated's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    According to their website, the Quantum is the roundest of the round.
    My two wheels:
    1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.
    2015 Schacht Reeves, 30", double drive, single treadle, high speed kit, ash.

I learned something new today. I still have the discontinued Quantum /f but I can't imagine that they changed the shape when they went to the Quantum 2.

Still, try on a Scorpion. They make a good helmet, it's DOT & Snell certified and you can get at 3 or 4 of them for the price of one Arai. You shouldn't have a problem finding them in your local shops. Take a book or a magazine & wear the helmet long enough to really get an idea if it it right for you.