Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Motorcycle, Pickup, and ramps?

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... twizted1's Avatar
    Dirt bikes are easy (at least the lighter 2 smokers)....pop em up on a wheelie, load the front in the truck, have someone hold front wheel steady & lift swingarm up, push into bed. Unloading, grab swingarm & just below seat, pull backwards let drop and lean against you.
    Rain or Shine 7 - May 22-24, 2015 - Monterey, TN

No matter what goes to hell, always rise from the ashes, stronger.

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... LoDownSinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slacer View Post
    The reason I'm looking into it is because I have a short bed truck which is 5'5" in length - don't really want a bike in the back with the gate down.
    Not a problem, I've hauled a VLX and a Ninja 250 at the same time with the tailgate down.
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    put the whiffer in the dilly

Hey, did this thread ever have an ending?
    Don't leave us hanging!

related:
    Quote Originally Posted by subvetSSN606 View Post
    ... I wouldn't worry about the [truck bed] gate being down. I've hauled bikes hundreds of miles that way with no problems... although the weight was in the bed not on the gate... just couldn't close the gate. The major disadvantage to hauling it in a pick-up is getting it up and down the ramp safely.
    Tom
    I was stunned one day when a guy pulled up next to me in a plaza parking lot with a Harley Fat Boy loaded into the bed of his Ford Ranger (a smallish truck, which also is what I drive). He was from some faraway state, and said he always carries his bike like that, no problem. Has a ramp and rides with the gate down (essential), and says the only issue is finding a spot with a little rise to load/offload more easily.
    I've done the bed-load with my Rebel, no worries; and thought about it with the Sportster. Not so much with the Softail (although the Fat Boy is a heavier model of Softail).
    But it's usually far easier to borrow a trailer.
    “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.”
    - William Gibson, 'Neuromancer' author

Flirting With The Redline slacer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mediajackl View Post
    Hey, did this thread ever have an ending?
    Don't leave us hanging!
    an ending..... I didn't even start it

I'll probably just get a ramp (gonna have to measure first, rather have it straight than diagonal in the bed)) until such time as i'm required to load/unload it on a constant basis, or I get rid of the truck (then it would be a carrier or trailer).
    Last edited by slacer; 12-11-2008 at 06:29 PM.
    '08 Versys - BeeBee
    '09 KLR 650 - BigRed

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnRoadRash
    Until proven otherwise I'll believe that all you enormous guys are actually two stacked midgets in a costume.

I dont worry about putting half of my rear tire on my tailgate. Most of our bikes are less than 500lbs total. Thats like two big dudes. Would you think twice about sitting on your tailgate and having a brew with a bud? or whatever you do sitting on tailgates?

As a scientist, Throckmorton knew that if he were ever to break wind in the echochamber, he'd never hear the end of it.
    2001 Suzuki SV650 - Red
    2008 Buell Blast - sold

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    Who told you my tailgate stories????? Huh? Huh?????
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110