Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle, Pickup, and ramps?

Motorcycle, Pickup, and ramps?

The bike I am buying this week runs, but is not registered currently, not to mention that I am not confident enough to ride it the 40 miles from where it is to my apartment. I am likely going to grab a rental pickup truck and load the bike in the back..... that is.... if somone can help me figure out how I can get it into the back.... and then strap it down!

Obviously I don't have any experience with this. How can I get the bike onto the truck other than using a nearby hill (not an option). Is it really possible to use wooden planks and something such as this to hold up a 1991 ex500:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10101

I read the reviews on this, but I am realitively skeptical. I know there are plenty of motorcycle specific ramps out there, but I am working on a rather tight budget after paying for the bike and gear.

Next, once I get the bike into the bed of the truck, is there a specific way to strap it down to the bed? I'll likely be doing this on friday, so I appreciate any quick responses

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! A_Pmech's Avatar
    How I did it:

Buy a "Ramp Kit" like what you link to.

You'll also need:

Qty: 2 2x12x10'
    Qty: 2 2x4x8'
    Qty: 2 rolls anti-skid tape
    Qty: 1 box 3-1/2" deck screws

Instructions:

1) Install ramp kit on 2x12's

2) Designate one board the "motorcycle" board, and one the "people" board.

3) On the "motorcycle" board, attach the two 2x4's to the underside of the 2x12, with the wide section of the 2x4 perpendicular to the wide axis of the 2x12 as a beam. Space one on either side of the 2x12, in the center of the span. Use deck screws every 4"

4) Apply anti-skid to both boards.

5) Go load your bike. Place the "motorcycle" ramp in the center of the tailgate, and the "people" board on the far left of the tailgate. One guy steers while the other guy pushes. The steering guy walks up the "people" board.

(By screwing the 2x4's to the underside of the 2x12 as beams, you make the 2x12 stiffer. While a 2x12 flat and without bridging will probably support 350lbs on two points 5' apart, I won't be trying it. Bendy ramps are also very difficult to load with. With bridging, the ramp does not bend appreciably.)

Once in the truck, you'll need four ratcheting tie-down straps at least 2" wide. Two under the bottom triples in the front to the front stake pockets, and two off the subframe around the passenger pegs to the back stake pockets. Ratchet the front down until the forks compress about 1" to 1.5". Ratchet the rear down snug. The motorcycle should be VERTICAL in the bed, not on the sidestand or centerstand.

Edit:

Here's a photo of how I tie my bikes down in the back of commercial trucks and trailers:

Substitute the eye bolts in the floor for the stake pockets on your pickup.

CHECK YOUR STRAPS after the first 5 miles, again at 50 miles, and every 250 miles after that. Synthetic straps strain in the first few hundred miles before settling in at a constant tension.
    Last edited by A_Pmech; 12-01-2008 at 08:37 PM.
    Every zero you add to the tolerance adds a zero to the price.

Time to spare? Travel by air!

Red '96 GS500, slightly modified.
    Black '03 SV650, heavily modified.

BTW, you can also rent a U-haul motorcycle trailer like this one, one-way only, for ~$20 a day:

Do you have pics to better explain this? I appreciate the write up, but I'm kinda confused. I know about the Uhaul bike trailers, I'm just trying to save as much as I can. I'm trying to avoid paying $150+ just to get the bike home

[edit]

Nice SV btw! Thats my dream bike

$150? The U-haul trailer rents for $20-something a day and a hitch ball is about $10 at Wal Mart if you don't have one on your bumper.

No problem, what's confusing you? I'll take some pics of the ramps if it's helpful...

Thanks. Most people don't recognize it as an SV. I get stopped almost every time I get gas. It's the perfect all-around motorcycle as far as I'm concerned. Although, the clipons had to go. Its currently sporting a naked upper triple clamp with high and wide dirtbike bars. Hard mounts for Pelican cases are on the drawing board (literally).

Sounds like it's cheaper to rent the trailer (it was $15 a day for me) than it is to build the ramp!

Just make sure the truck you rent is ready for towing.

I just had another thought... maybe you could get one of the uhaul moving trucks (are they still $20 a day for local rental?) Those box vans have ramps already built in!

As a scientist, Throckmorton knew that if he were ever to break wind in the echochamber, he'd never hear the end of it.
    2001 Suzuki SV650 - Red
    2008 Buell Blast - sold

Contributor 2000 Posts! Diane_N's Avatar
    Between the Catskill and Adirondack Mountains, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Exaran View Post

I just had another thought... maybe you could get one of the uhaul moving trucks (are they still $20 a day for local rental?) Those box vans have ramps already built in!
    That's what I was going to suggest, if not the trailer. I think that you can also rent a tow bar and hitch for the trailer if your vehicle doesn't have one. Most vehicles can handle a motorcycle trailer for a 40 mile trip...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/bikinbiddy/dsc01293-1.jpg

Ohhh... I see.... I didn't realize he had to rent a pickup truck.... My bad!

In that case, yeah, check out renting the smallest U-haul box truck. They're cheaper than renting a pickup truck. (The age limitation is lower as well, if that is an issue for you.)

They also have a built-in aluminum loading ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Pmech View Post
    $150? The U-haul trailer rents for $20-something a day and a hitch ball is about $10 at Wal Mart if you don't have one on your bumper.:
    There-in lies the problem. I don't own a cage. If I just get a pickup truck from U-haul + mileage it's the same price as getting one from enterprise for the day

No problem, what's confusing you? I'll take some pics of the ramps if it's helpful...
    Please do, if you don't mind

Thanks. Most people don't recognize it as an SV. I get stopped almost every time I get gas. It's the perfect all-around motorcycle as far as I'm concerned. Although, the clipons had to go. Its currently sporting a naked upper triple clamp with high and wide dirtbike bars. Hard mounts for Pelican cases are on the drawing board (literally).
    This website is probably the only reason I didn't opt for 2g SV650 as a starter. V-twin all the way!

Here's my "motorcycle" ramp from the underside. "people" ramp is the same, without the 2x4's attached underneath. The point closest to the camera is what attaches to the pickup truck with the ramp kit bracket:

Here's the top surface of the same ramp:

Hopefully, these photos help explain what I was talking about. Reinforcement of the second ramp is optional. But it helps for lawnmowers and four-wheelers...