Thread: 1986 Suzuki Intruder?

1986 Suzuki Intruder?

Hey all, first post here! I am just beginning to ride, I just completed the MSF basic riding course. I feel very confident riding, and now it's time to find me a bike. I came across a 1986 Suzuki Intruder 700, and the guy is asking $1600 for it. I checked it out on kelly blue book and it says retail value is ~1550.

The bike appears to be in good shape, but I have not checked it out in person yet. He says that the bike runs great.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? How much should I offer? Is $1600 too much for this bike?

Thanks all!
    -Josh

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! monty's Avatar
    I can,t say much about the suzuki but first check out n.a.d.a. or go to www.nada.com to see the value. but if you really want the bike I show him $900 in clean crisp 100 bills maybe 1100 remember as a buyer right now the power belongs to you and don,t be afraid to walk away pretty soon there will lots of bikes for rock bottom prices

Flirting With The Redline NursePadawan's Avatar
    I'm with Monty on this one. The bike would have to be pristine with low miles for that kind of price. Is it really the bike you want or do you want it because it's available right now?
    '82 Yamaha XJ750 Maxim

Keep in mind: a 1986 bike is now old enough to vote.
    Could be a lot of parts have changed in that time, making them difficult to find.
    I claim no expertise on 'Zuki mechanicals; maybe it's not an issue at all. Although it was sometimes bothersome with me on a very popular '85 Honda, and has dogged others here with various models of older vintage.
    If it's in great shape (how old the tires? That could be $400 bucks right there if they need replacing) and seems to run well, might be a good first buy for around the $1K range.
    A suggested previously, have the money in hand. Sound confident (but not arrogant) in offering less than he wants. "This is what I'll do right here, right now."
    And don't be scared to walk away. There are other bikes out there, maybe better bargains.

Good luck.
    “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.”
    - William Gibson, 'Neuromancer' author

The bike has 11,209 miles on it. I have not seen detailed pictures of the bike, but he said there is nothing wrong with the bike, no cosmetic damage. He said there is a small scratch on the exhaust the size of a quarter. The eBay auction is at $1200 right now, but he will sell it to me for $1500 now. I know that it is old, and may be hard to find parts for, so I'm not sure if it will be worth it. He said that the tires have about 80% tread left on them.

Would you guys wait a bit for a better deal?

I'm assuming the answer to that would be yes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...=p4506.c0.m245

That's the eBay link to the bike.
    Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by NursePadawan View Post
    I'm with Monty on this one. The bike would have to be pristine with low miles for that kind of price. Is it really the bike you want or do you want it because it's available right now?
    I don't really have a bike that I'm in love with right now. This will be my first bike so I don't know what I would like yet. I want a sport bike more than a cruiser, but a cruiser could be nice.

Short answer (especially if you cannot see it or sit on it before buying): I'd wait.

You ever sit on that model of bike? How you know it fits you?
    Potential trouble spots:

Mileage - not a lot for a bike that old. That can be a trouble sign. Bikes need to run. 486 miles a year? Good chance it sat for a long period of time.

Tires - 80 percent tread means nothing if they're cracked or dry rotted.

Condition - Some people have really odd ideas about what qualifies as good condition. Trust only what you can see in person, and hopefully ride.

But it's your money, your call.
    “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.”
    - William Gibson, 'Neuromancer' author

Quote Originally Posted by mediajackl View Post
    Short answer (especially if you cannot see it or sit on it before buying): I'd wait.

You ever sit on that model of bike? How you know it fits you?
    Potential trouble spots:

Mileage - not a lot for a bike that old. That can be a trouble sign. Bikes need to run. 486 miles a year? Good chance it sat for a long period of time.

Tires - 80 percent tread means nothing if they're cracked or dry rotted.

Condition - Some people have really odd ideas about what qualifies as good condition. Trust only what you can see in person, and hopefully ride.

But it's your money, your call.
    I haven't sat on the bike yet.
    The bike is about a 30 minute drive from my house. I could go check it out tomorrow and if I don't like it, or if something is off I could just walk away.

Yeah, it probably has sat for a long period of time.

Is it possible to tell if the tires are dry rotted just by looking at them?

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Look for cracks in the sidewalls.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.