Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand guards on a street bike?

Hand guards on a street bike?

I was reading More Proficient Motorcycling and in the part about visibility he thinks that anything you can do to make your bike appear wider would make it easier for other drivers to judge your speed and distance (mentions a Goldwing with marker lights on the mirror fairings)

I don't have mirror fairings on my Blast, but I was thinking (especially since people keep asking if it's a dual sport anyway) maybe I could add some body-colored hand guards with marker lights

Anybody know if the average aftermarket dualsport handguards should fit on my Blast?

(PS: I was looking for ones with built in lights, but both the ones I found look kinda ghetto, so I'll probably just add my own lights)

As a scientist, Throckmorton knew that if he were ever to break wind in the echochamber, he'd never hear the end of it.
    2001 Suzuki SV650 - Red
    2008 Buell Blast - sold

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Exaran View Post
    I was reading More Proficient Motorcycling and in the part about visibility he thinks that anything you can do to make your bike appear wider would make it easier for other drivers to judge your speed and distance (mentions a Goldwing with marker lights on the mirror fairings)

I don't have mirror fairings on my Blast, but I was thinking (especially since people keep asking if it's a dual sport anyway) maybe I could add some body-colored hand guards with marker lights

Anybody know if the average aftermarket dualsport handguards should fit on my Blast?

(PS: I was looking for ones with built in lights, but both the ones I found look kinda ghetto, so I'll probably just add my own lights)
    You should be able to find some, I know a few riders who put them on for deflecting winter's cold. Best to paint them some high viz color like white, yellow, orange, neon etc.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... LoDownSinner's Avatar
    You should be able to make a set of Acerbis fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    put the whiffer in the dilly

Quote Originally Posted by Exaran View Post

When I had a blast, I put the Uly handguards on it. Took all of 15mins. at most to install and the local harley/buell dealer has all the parts.The ones with the
    "ghetto" lights are probably going to be a bit more on the engineering side. Also, be really careful what kind of extra lighting you put on that bike. There really isn't much if anything left for that bike to put out voltage wise. I think you only have 50watts to play with. That means one fog lights worth, and sometimes not even that considering most fog lights are 55 anymore.
    08 Matte Black Strom RIP 3/08 - valentines day 09 3/09-Current - Drk Silver 07 weeStrom Loaded,
    2004 Triumph America 2004 (sold), 2001 Buell Blast (sold), 1997 Honda ST1100 (sold), 1997 Honda Nighthawk 750 (sold)

I've been lurking on the GZ 250 sight & there's a guy who put these on:

Rox/PowerMadd Handguard Kits

I'm thinking about it... they are saying as well, that the grips do dual duty- fend off the cold & add width.

M

PM me if you want the GZ sight---- the guy put some pretty detailed picts on how he mounted them.
    "Keep fighting for freedom and justice... but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cat, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."

Molly Irvin RIP

Flirting With The Redline Eugene's Avatar
    Just get bar-end mirrors!!! Good idea all around

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Buell City-X has handguards, wonder if those fit the Blast?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! midknyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    probably, and from there keep it simple and just add reflective decals ?
    Objects in mirror are dumber than they appear!

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Yes, the cityx/ulysses handguards will fit the blast... but they're more expensive and black. I'm kinda leaning towards them tho, because they attach in two points (the blast handlebars shake like CRAZY at certain low rpms) and I can always paint them.

As far as the complicated lights go, I'll add those just cause I like doing electrical/lighting mods anyway

As a scientist, Throckmorton knew that if he were ever to break wind in the echochamber, he'd never hear the end of it.
    2001 Suzuki SV650 - Red
    2008 Buell Blast - sold

Flirting With The Redline Eugene's Avatar
    You surely CAN install those guards on blast. I personally, think they ugly and make whole bike look like a dirt-bike, but that is just my opinion.

However, if you decide to install them you can either put some stickers on them, or wire in some small running lights and/or turn signals. If you DO decide and install lights, please share