Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Video from 08.03.08 ride w/ some BBO'rs

Lurking For The Next Bike 10,000 Posts! hqp921's Avatar

Talking Video from 08.03.08 ride w/ some BBO'rs

Here's a video I made from the New England/North East BBO'rs ride just a couple days ago. I'm running a JVC D850U, mounted on a Powerstands Mantis Camera mount. This is the very first time I edited and mixed video on the computer, so be kind.

Tashabear posted a few pictures and a ride report. I did incorporate some of those pics into the video. I just wanted to share my video in the General Forum for those who don't make it around to some of the sub-forums.

Riders in the video include Firtree, Tashabear, and Less. The rider in front of me (in the red jacket) is Firtree. Less and Tashabear were both lead at points... but for the majority of the video, Less is leading.

Music is by a band I went to college with, Revision. The guys are great, and I encourage you to check them out if they ever come around to your area. The two tracks I used are downloadable at their website!

HP

Flirting With The Redline mrb42's Avatar
    Does that mount have a shock absorber or was the road that smooth? My camera makes me sea sick!
    -Mark

Ride SMART!

Quote Originally Posted by prester_john;
    Your first bike is a lot less about boat floating and a lot more about decreasing the odds you'll wind up memorialized with a little roadside flower arrangement.

AWSOME!!! excellent job Hung,, I love the music. I just don't remember it being that curvey, but you really captured the rain and sun combination.

It was a fun day, let's do it again.
    Less
    "Spring will be here soon........"
    2009 FZ6
    2004 Vulcan 800 Classic (sold)
    2002 Savage (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by mrb42 View Post
    Does that mount have a shock absorber or was the road that smooth? My camera makes me sea sick!
    Here are some pics of the mount (from NewEnough)

See that little doodad (technical name ) up front? With the suction cup? Yeah, that thing GREATLY helps the camera from shaking. When I first installed the mount, I left that off, thinking, "Hmm, this is pretty solid." I was wrong. My test video was great as long as the road was smooth, but hit anything and... well, it'd make me sick! Even minor bumps were magnified. Sooo... yes, that little thing helps to keep the image steady, b/c there were some bumps and shakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Less View Post
    AWSOME!!! excellent job Hung,, I love the music. I just don't remember it being that curvey, but you really captured the rain and sun combination.

It was a fun day, let's do it again.
    Thanks! I enjoyed putting it all together. At first I was trying to mix down 50mins worth of film to about 4 minutes... but then I decided I needed to have two songs... and more footage... not knowing what to pick, I decided to pick another song by the same group. Hopefully they won't get upset I used the songs w/o explicit permission - but I don't think so! I sent the video off to the band, so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

I edited it so it would be mostly curves... I have some footage on Route 2... in the rain... but that was just straight and booooring.

HP

Looks like a great time....rain and all.

Someday I hope to join you. I haven't done anything like 200 miles in a day. But those roads were definitely within my skill level. Time.... I just need more time in the saddle.
    Marilyn

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    Looks like a great time....rain and all.

Someday I hope to join you. I haven't done anything like 200 miles in a day. But those roads were definitely within my skill level. Time.... I just need more time in the saddle.
    We'll be here when you're ready.

HP

Oh yeah... make sure you rate the video! And if you have a YouTube account, leave a comment!

Thanks,

HP

Hey....

what a great mount. I've been thinking of how I can do the whole "bike video" thing and always thought I'd need to invest in an expensive smaller helmet cam thing..Never thought about just using the video camera itself up front.

Fantastic!
    "There's such a fine line between clever and stupid"..David St Hubbins.
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    http://www.stoafer.com/blog

Quote Originally Posted by zildjan_man View Post
    Hey....

what a great mount. I've been thinking of how I can do the whole "bike video" thing and always thought I'd need to invest in an expensive smaller helmet cam thing..Never thought about just using the video camera itself up front.

Fantastic!
    Thanks.

Just FYI: The Mantis is a "Universal Fit" product... you're supposed to bolt it to your gas tank. Well.. only 2 of the three bolts fit, because of the shape, but, as you can see, this is more than enough to keep it on.

What I like about it, is if I don't wan to film, I can remove it pretty quickly.

Other options to mount a camera include Ram Mounts and there is one on KneeDraggers.com - I forget who makes 'em, but they are bike specific and mount on your gas tank. I'll need to take a picture, because I got it mounted so I can put my GPS on there as well - although it was just an experiment and I'll need a better way to position it for visibility's sake...

Also -- I am filming through a DARK SMOKE windshield. I was worried about visibility, but as you can see, it works just fine (although I'm sure a clear screen would work even better!).

HP

Contributor We've stopped counting... Overcaffeinated's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Can you get a small tank bag on there too when that thing is installed?

The video looks pretty good. I have to wait 'til I get home from work to watch the whole thing, though.
    My two wheels:
    1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.
    2015 Schacht Reeves, 30", double drive, single treadle, high speed kit, ash.