Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycle World magazine recommends "best first bikes"

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! prester_john's Avatar

Cycle World magazine recommends "best first bikes"

In the current issue on newsstands and here:

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.as...article_id=810

It's a split personality article with a lot of fuel economy talk as well. They measured mileage on a "real world test loop" and some of the machines were quite parsimonious.

They discuss the:
    Aprilia SportCity 250
    Harley-Davidson Sportster 883
    Honda CRF230L
    Honda Nighthawk 250 (Is this the first time this old tech, relatively expensive bike has ever been featured in a Moto rag?)
    Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    Suzuki GSX650F (A great first bike? Like, they'd start their own flesh-and-blood 16y.o. kid on one?)
    Suzuki SV650 (Many say this is a great first bike. IMO it's as good a first bike as an H-D Fatboy.)
    Yamaha XT250
    Yamaha WR250X (Moto-jewelry, and priced accordingly.)

Replace the Sportster with HDI's Blast and the two Suzukis with the GS500F and S40 and it's not a bad list.

Great sidebar of newbie tips here, though.

Tom
    Doolittle: Polly, I want you to teach me all the animal languages you know. We'll start tomorrow morning at eight o'clock.

Polly: But Doctor, it took me two hundred years to learn those languages!

Doolittle: All right. We'll start at seven.

Flirting With The Redline 5000 Posts! TJinPgh's Avatar
    Pretty good bunch of tips. Although, I still don't have any issues with work boots or hikers.

Their point about the laces is well taken. But, one can just as easily tuck them inside the boot.

I recently got a set of real motorcycle boots after having ridden in work boots for two years. They are definitely different - the motorcycle boots appear to be designed to protect against a twisted ankle and have little toe protection, while work boots are designed to protect you from getting your feet run over by a forklift or having sections of I-beam fall on your toes. I still wouldn't say riding in work boots is a bad thing though.
    Matt - '05 Suzuki GS500F
    Motorcycle 4 A Month
    http://madscientistmatt.blogspot.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by LoDownSinner View Post
    Respect doesn't control the motorcycle, skills do.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! Afflo's Avatar
    Why are the acceleration figures for the 250r so different than just about every other source out there?

Best Beginner Motorcycles

KawasakiMotorcycle.org

Improved performance following break-in?
    0-60 figures based on speedo reading rather than more reliable measurement?

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! lledier's Avatar
    1: Wits against the World. You never see a cat catch a squirrel because those little gray guys are super-vigilant.
    Bad analogy...I have a cat, that while I did not witness her catching a squirrel, the evidence of it was plain to see...she ate everything but the tail...and she played with that tail for weeks...
    Quote Originally Posted by MsPotatoPotatoHead View Post
    Besides, the big Vee goes wiki-wiki-wiki-GRRRRRRAAAAAA

My bikes:

None yet, BRC postponed due to injury

My cage:
    1999 Chevy Suburban

Flirting With The Redline We've stopped counting... weaver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lledier View Post
    Bad analogy...I have a cat, that while I did not witness her catching a squirrel, the evidence of it was plain to see...she ate everything but the tail...and she played with that tail for weeks...
    My springer spaniel caught one, too...

As far as the list goes, I am confused as to why the GSX650F is on there rather than the GS500F.
    '05 Blue Kawi EX250 - RIP 6/17/10
    Still in the market. Free is good.
    motorcycle4amonth.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Afflo View Post
    Why are the acceleration figures for the 250r so different than just about every other source out there?

Best Beginner Motorcycles

KawasakiMotorcycle.org

Improved performance following break-in?
    0-60 figures based on speedo reading rather than more reliable measurement?
    Looks like the non-Cycle World reviews are of the pre-'08 bikes; Kawasaki did some pretty extensive reworking of the 250 (heavier, bigger wheels, engine tuned to be less peaky & more torquey) for '08. Also, magazine stats tend to vary quite a bit even with the same bike based on the size of the rider, how aggressively they ride, where they're riding, etc.
    The fleet:

'05 Vulcan 500
    '06 TW200
    and...2 of Lil_bear's finest doo rags!

Quote Originally Posted by weaver View Post
    As far as the list goes, I am confused as to why the GSX650F is on there rather than the GS500F.
    Good question. I haven't ridden one (yet) but the stats pretty clearly put it well out of the beginner bike category (507 lbs. dry, 73.6 HP, seat height 30.3 inches) - maybe Suzuki slipped 'em a little extra green to write nice things about it?
    My one & only test-sit on one (done when Stoorat wasn't taking clandestine pictures of me) makes it out to be a comfy sport-standard, but it's pretty obviously a chunk. Get it much off the vertical and it tells you that it's a big bike.
    The fleet:

'05 Vulcan 500
    '06 TW200
    and...2 of Lil_bear's finest doo rags!

Flirting With The Redline 5000 Posts! TJinPgh's Avatar
    I think their fuel economy expectations are a wee bit high, as well.

While some people in the Nighthawk Yahoo group HAVE achieved 90 mpg, it's under near perfect (level) conditions in areas where stop signs don't exist. Mos won't get that much.

Although, I did measure mine at 70 mpg with ALL in town driving on my last tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2BMild View Post
    Maybe Suzuki slipped 'em a little extra green to write nice things about it?
    I'm pretty sure Suzuki has a full page ad in every issue, if not a two page ad. Wouldn't be the first time a writer has been a little too mindful of who's paying the bills.
    Matt - '05 Suzuki GS500F
    Motorcycle 4 A Month
    http://madscientistmatt.blogspot.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by LoDownSinner View Post
    Respect doesn't control the motorcycle, skills do.