Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CRG Hindsight Bar End Mirrors installed on 2003 SV650s

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... LoDownSinner's Avatar
    What's the amp rated as far as watts and impedance?

I know a lot of older tube stuff really didn't like two ohm loads. Had a tendency to melt output transformers.
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    put the whiffer in the dilly

Flirting With The Redline Newrider's Avatar
    "Accidents" can occur in anything...are they preventable? Most of the time...Think Hindenberg, Titanic, Edmund Fitzgerald, et al....Could those have been prevented? It can be argued, bottom line they happened, wasn't "on purpose" hence the term accident. I see what you are saying about head turning,etc, and doing one's best to be safe, but you can only prevent so much. If you are sitting at a stop sign and the idiot behind you can't stop in time,and you have nowhere to go, they are still going to hit you. Had this happen in my truck...woman hit me while I was at a standstill...nothing I could have done would have helped that, hence it was an accident...
    2009 Harley Davidson 883 Custom

Lurking For The Next Bike 10,000 Posts! hqp921's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LoDownSinner View Post
    What's the amp rated as far as watts and impedance?

I know a lot of older tube stuff really didn't like two ohm loads. Had a tendency to melt output transformers.
    PM'd.

--

Back on topic (har har har)

How about them sexy bar end mirrors?

HP

Quote Originally Posted by Newrider View Post
    "Accidents" can occur in anything...are they preventable? Most of the time...Think Hindenberg, Titanic, Edmund Fitzgerald, et al....Could those have been prevented? It can be argued, bottom line they happened, wasn't "on purpose" hence the term accident. I see what you are saying about head turning,etc, and doing one's best to be safe, but you can only prevent so much. If you are sitting at a stop sign and the idiot behind you can't stop in time,and you have nowhere to go, they are still going to hit you. Had this happen in my truck...woman hit me while I was at a standstill...nothing I could have done would have helped that, hence it was an accident...
    I think the point is that incidents that occur due to negligence aren't on purpose either, but they're preventable. I'm not pointing my finger at Hung, just clarifying why the term "accident" is avoided by lots of long-term motorcyclists.

Regarding your example--on a bike you have more options. You're supposed to always, always have an escape route. If you get hit from behind at a stop sign, it may not have been your fault, but it would have been avoidable if you'd done two things--left yourself an out (space betweent you and the vehicle in front of you so that you could dodge to the right or left) and watched your mirrors. Your options are more limited in a cage than on a bike, so perhaps your experience wasn't as easily avoided, but a motorcycle can squeeze between a truck and a curb, and you'd better be prepared to do so (or even go up over the curb) because you have much less protection on a bike.

Your example still doesn't illustrate a true "accident." The woman who hit you was careless. While it's possible that, in your truck, you may not have been able to do much to avoid it, she probably could have.
    Stu's Facebook page
    '95 CB750 Nighthawk-Deceased
    '02 CB900F/919

stoorat{at}hotmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by hqp921 View Post
    Back on topic (har har har)

How about them sexy bar end mirrors?
    Quiet, Little One. The grownups are talking.
    Stu's Facebook page
    '02 CB900F/919

Flirting With The Redline Newrider's Avatar
    Hmm, point taken, on a bike there probably are more options...I'll let it die...
    2009 Harley Davidson 883 Custom

Lurking For The Next Bike 10,000 Posts! hqp921's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoorat View Post
    Quiet, Little One. The grownups are talking.
    harumph.

( -_-)

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... LoDownSinner's Avatar
    Hmm, point taken, on a bike there probably are more options...I'll let it die...
    Read 'Proficient Motorcycling.'
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    put the whiffer in the dilly

...I'll let it die...
    No, no! By all means, pursue that line of inquiry, even if it means starting a new thread so that Hung can return to the spotlight here.

Seriously, understanding differences like this between caging and biking are critical to your safety, and they're not always obvious to the new rider...until pointed out by a more experienced one, at which point you'll slap your forehead and go, "Oh, duh! That makes sense!" (At least, that's what I've done several times) So ask away, because folks like OBX, Paduan, Clair, Subvet, LDS, dakrat, Capt. Crash, april, Shadow Shack, spotbeagle, and tons of others have literally millions of miles, collectively, under their belts in both racing and street riding, and many are--or are married to--mechanics who can build a working motorcycle out of twigs and nail clippings. If you have questions or need clarification at all, please don't hold back. This whole community was originally established for the express purpose of supplying those answers.
    Last edited by stoorat; 07-11-2008 at 01:30 PM.
    Stu's Facebook page
    '02 CB900F/919

Flirting With The Redline We've stopped counting... weaver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stoorat View Post
    I think the point is that incidents that occur due to negligence aren't on purpose either, but they're preventable. I'm not pointing my finger at Hung, just clarifying why the term "accident" is avoided by lots of long-term motorcyclists.

Regarding your example--on a bike you have more options. You're supposed to always, always have an escape route. If you get hit from behind at a stop sign, it may not have been your fault, but it would have been avoidable if you'd done two things--left yourself an out (space betweent you and the vehicle in front of you so that you could dodge to the right or left) and watched your mirrors. Your options are more limited in a cage than on a bike, so perhaps your experience wasn't as easily avoided, but a motorcycle can squeeze between a truck and a curb, and you'd better be prepared to do so (or even go up over the curb) because you have much less protection on a bike.

Your example still doesn't illustrate a true "accident." The woman who hit you was careless. While it's possible that, in your truck, you may not have been able to do much to avoid it, she probably could have.
    One of the things my uncle, a long time racer and safety coach, said years ago that's stuck with me: People have trouble realizing that a motorcycle can always jump the curb.

It might not keep you from falling over after that, but you won't get hit.
    '05 Blue Kawi EX250 - RIP 6/17/10
    Still in the market. Free is good.
    motorcycle4amonth.blogspot.com