Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CRG Hindsight Bar End Mirrors installed on 2003 SV650s

Lurking For The Next Bike 10,000 Posts! hqp921's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twizted1 View Post
    Alright...we need a good seat view (or at least I do) to see how well these work....

Yus haz projekt...go naow
    Dude... you want a view of my seat?

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... twizted1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twizted1 View Post
    Alright...we need a good from the seat view of the mirrors (or at least I do) to see how well these work....

Yus haz projekt...go naow
    Better now?
    Rain or Shine 8 - May 20-22, 2016 - Monterey, TN

No matter what goes to hell, always rise from the ashes, stronger.

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... LoDownSinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hqp921 View Post
    They are great... you could actually probably get away with using just one on one side and see everything behind you, that's how great they work.
    I've done that on my SV, doesn't work very well at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    put the whiffer in the dilly

Quote Originally Posted by LoDownSinner View Post
    I've done that on my SV, doesn't work very well at all.
    Well, don't listen to me. I got hit by a truck coming up from behind me... so I figure two mirrors were a minimum.

HP

Well, don't listen to me. I got hit by a truck coming up from behind me... so I figure two mirrors were a minimum.
    Correction, you hit the truck.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries

HP
    In that case, moar is better...
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Correction, you hit the truck.
    Why don't you just go out and say you think I'm a big idiot for getting hit by/hitting a truck? I feel like you've insinuated it from day one I posted the accident thread.

I never expected a truck to pass me on the right as I had my blinker on and was making a right hand turn... I know to expect the unexpected. I don't usually do a head check when I'm making a turn onto a side street. Maybe I need to start.

It was an accident. Maybe it could have been prevented if I did a quick head check. Maybe it could have been prevented if the guy in the truck didn't pass on the right. Maybe it could have been prevented if I didn't swing a leg over the bike that day. All I know is I was taking my turn, and before I knew it, I was being pulled along side a pickup truck.

Let's just say this (my accident) serves as a warning to all riders, old and new, to always expect the unexpected, and always be aware of your surroundings. Lets move forward and just be riders, eh?

Oh... riders AND bass players... haha. I had a Q about amp/cab matching. I just picked up a SWR workingman 400 head... and I'm confused about matching a cab. The cab should be a 4ohm/200w cab? Probably needs to be a PM...

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    In that case, moar is better...
    This would be a good way for me to peruse more targets. Excellent.

HP

Flirting With The Redline Newrider's Avatar
    Motorcycle: 2003 SV650s
    Mods: CRG Hindsight LS Mirrors and Fried Designs Mirror Delete Plates

Today, I received the Mirror Delete Plates I ordered from Fried Designs, an aftermarket motorcycle parts company that specializes in bolt-on billet aluminum accessories. I was waiting on these so I could take off my stock mirrors, and mount the CRG Hindsight LS Mirrors. Basically, the Mirror Delete Plates go where the stock mirrors used to be.

So here's the stuff:

All that was needed to do the install was a couple Allen wrenches -- all the other tools you see just happen to be in the tool kit.

First order of business was to take off the bar ends and install the adapter. You can mount the CRG mirrors directly to the bar, but that requires moving your controls inbound. There's not much room on the clip-ons, so I opted for the adapter route:

(Yes, that is a car air freshner hanging from the brake fluid reservoir... and check out the slider install... gotta love having your fairing intentionally 'damaged'... the shop did a great job though)

After attaching the adapters, I put the mirrors on there. Installation of both parts were a cinch!

Here's what the cockpit looks like (with both the stockers and the bar ends). Jeeze, if I had this many mirrors back in May, I might have seen that truck, rather than get hit by it!

With the bar end mirrors in place, the next thing to do was to take off the stock mirrors and install the delete plates. I'm not much into bling, but I guess these are kind of snazzy:

I had trouble finding SV-specific plates... but I think that people have had luck switching stock SV mirrors with GS and GSX mirrors (?). So delete plates for GSX, for which there are plenty, could probably work. I was just looking for delete plates that would fit, not necessarily ones that said "SV" on them, but when I saw these and the price, I said, "What the hell. Why not?"

Before (notice how the bar end has some 'silver'? That's from the accident...):

After:

Before:

After:

With everything installed and adjusted, here's the cockpit view:

So... They look snazzier than stock (or at least I think so, your opinion may vary), but... how well do they work? Every one knows that the rule of mods is you must test it right away (if it's a testable mod...).

Well, they work a heck of a lot better than the stock mirrors. I can see more than just my shoulders. And they've got a good enough range that I can see when I'm sitting up or when I'm laying on the tank. I couldn't really get that with the stock mirrors.

The mirrors themselves are well constructed and very sturdy. What I like about them is that they are modular, meaning every piece can be replaced, rather than having to buy a brand new assembly, and you can switch up the mirrors to be LH or RH. They're like Legos.

I'm enjoying them so far and they worked well on the ride I just came back from. I'll try to report long term how they work out.

HP
    That looks pretty good..you "pimped your own ride"
    2009 Harley Davidson 883 Custom

I abhor the term 'accident.'

I don't think you're an idiot for crashing.

All I'm saying is that a good head turn probably would have helped. Not necessarily a head check, but a head turn.

I think that brushing off responsibility and calling a crash an accident is a poor way to deal with it. It makes people think that safety is a matter of luck, something which couldn't be further from the truth.

Here's an excerpt from Proficient Motorcycling, by David Hough:
    A couple of years ago I was having a discussion with a young rider who was limping around in a cast. He'd been knocked down in a merging lane by a driver who didn't yield the right of way.
    Young Rider: "I can't believe he hit me! He was supposed to yeild!"
    Me: "Did the driver get injured?"
    Young Rider: "Heck no, but I've got a broken leg!"
    Me: "So, why did you let him get you?"
    Young Rider: "He should have stopped. I had the right of way!"
    Me: "Does your leg hurt?"
    Young Rider: "Sure it hurts."
    Me: "So, why did you let him get you?"

I abhor the term 'accident.'

I don't think you're an idiot for crashing.

All I'm saying is that a good head turn probably would have helped. Not necessarily a head check, but a head turn.

I think that brushing off responsibility and calling a crash an accident is a poor way to deal with it. It makes people think that safety is a matter of luck, something which couldn't be further from the truth.

Here's an excerpt from Proficient Motorcycling, by David Hough:
    Gotcha.

Gonna PM you about the bass amp/cab Q....

HP