Thread: 1987 Suzuki Intruder 700?

Flirting With The Redline 5000 Posts! TJinPgh's Avatar

1987 Suzuki Intruder 700?

I came across one of these on craigslist today.

Talked to the owner briefly. Here's what I found out.

1987 Suzuki Intruder
    700cc Shaft Drive V-Twin
    mileage 14689

Kept indoors.

No pics but says it's purple with mag wheels and good tires.

Hasn't ridden it in about three years (broke his back) but it has been kept indoors and covered since.

He said the only thing (other than having sit) that he knows to be wrong with it is the backrest pad is missing from the sissy bar.

He's asking $500 for it.

He had no pics of the bike in the ad, but I found this pic of the same model on bikepics.com

I've been looking for some general info on the bike. I checked out bikez.com and suzukicycles.org

Neither site lists the bike. Closest I could find was a VS 750 Intruder for that year. But, I did find pics of them on bikepics.com from American members so clearly the 700 existed.

Anybody have any information on them?

Suzukicycles.org lists the 750 as having 55hp and weighing 431 pounds (dry).

It would seem reasonable to me that a 700 would be down slightly in hp and weight, but I can't find any specs on them to verify that.

Anybody familiar with them?

And, any thoughts on them in general? Good deal or is it something to avoid for a person stepping up from a Nighthawk 250.

Flirting With The Redline PerrydaSavage's Avatar
    Briefly owned an '06 VS800 (S50 Boulevard/Intruder) ... awesome Bike, good handling, great looks and the power/weight ratio (approx. 50HP @ 445lbs) meant that it could GO like stink! But, I'm a small guy with a bad back and though the VS is a relative light-weight in the 800cc Cruiser class, I had a lot of trouble comfortably managing duck-walking the Bike to and from my shed as well as other close-quarter manoeuvering ... sold it a few weeks ago and picked up a 2005 LS650 (S40 Boulevard/Savage) ... for me, much more manageable and a better fit!

Likely, you should have no trouble moving up from a 250 Nighthawk to a VS700 ... but, be aware that the VS is going to have MUCH more power on-tap than the 250 ... take it easy on the throttle 'til you get used to it!

Good luck!
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes!

$500 would be an amazing price around here (DC) for that bike. Even if you have to drop it off at the shop for tires, carbs, fluid changes and the whole nine yards you'd come out ahead.

Does she start? If you don't buy it- let me know eh?

The only thing that's ever concerned me about intruders is that they sometimes have weird electrical problems. Always solved it with a new fuse box and wiring harness.
    90% of happiness is choosing the right ethicist.
    WoodstockJeff: It's amazing how much looking ahead keeps you in the audience of the play known as "Stupid Traffic Stunts", rather than up on the stage...
    speeddemon: "Sarchasm: the aching void across which one cannot see that one has been pwned."

Can't seem to post my full avatar

Ok,read this veary carefully.Take the money and go buy it.If your car broke down,steel a bike frome some kid,if you can`t find any bike...RUN,FOREST,RUN!!!
    BUILT TO RIDE

LOL. Sadly, the guy who was already on his way to go look at the bike when I talked to the owner on the phone bought it.

The craigslist ad was pulled shortly after I posted this.

I kind of suspected that would happen, but I had no way to get there before he did. At least, not with any money.

That's been happening a LOT around here. Anything that's even remotely a decent deal is getting snatched up within hours of the ads getting posted.

Next time when you see something like this don`t ask for advices,just go for it,you can`t miss.
    BUILT TO RIDE

Quote Originally Posted by lolygizmo View Post
    Next time when you see something like this don`t ask for advices,just go for it,you can`t miss.
    Advice noted.

But, I'd already talked to the guy on the phone BEFORE I posted this. So, the guy who bought it was already on his way there.

I simply posted on the off chance that the guy didn't buy it. But, given the bike and the price, I figured there was little chance he wouldn't.