Thread: Sound of Yamaha Virago Starter (for those who care)

Sound of Yamaha Virago Starter (for those who care)

I've been looking and looking and looking for the distinct sound of a Yamah Virago stater - these have been known to have problems and I wanted to compare the sound I was getting to another Virago. Unfortunately I don't know anyone near me who owns one so I was very excited when I found this.
    This was good and bad - good because now I know that it is in fact the starter on my bike, bad because mine sounds a LOT worse (mostly louder). There is a fairly inexpensive fix for this but it does require some elbow grease. . . .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=noWVpaGkukk&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6cDe12iaNs8&feature=related
    Bikes:
    1983 Yamaha Virago 750 "Bugsy"
    '82 Yamaha Seca 750 "Serenity"

A motorcycle functions entirely in accordance with the laws of reason, and a study of the art of motorcycle maintenance is really a miniature study of the art of rationality itself. ~Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

BBO Communications Liaison 5000 Posts! RockyMtnRoadRash's Avatar
    A properly functioning virago starter should sound like a blender full of marbles.

A badly functioning one will sounds more like a blender full of bolts.

If it actually starts the bike, I leave it the heck alone until it dies. My buddy's went for years sounding godawful but working fine before he had to replace it.
    -RMRR
    "This guarantee does not cover sharkbite, bear attack, or children under 5." - Pelican case lifetime guarantee

It's vitally important to know the correct name for all parts of a vehicle so that you can curse them accurately when they break.

Давай детка, будь моей обезьянкой

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... LoDownSinner's Avatar
    Catt's was like that and kept getting worse until it broke. We intalled the updated starter clutch assembly, and it worked great from then on.
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    put the whiffer in the dilly