Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Buy Used Or New?

If you've got the cash, GET THE NEW ONE. There's lots of talk of a vastly improved midrange which might make your beginner bike last you a lot longer!

Just checked Craigslist - here's a possible:
    '05 GS500

Bit older, but maybe. I'd ask about the funky paint job, and have a friend look for possible frame/engine damage (the lay of that paint job just makes me suspicious.)
    The fleet:

'05 Vulcan 500
    '06 TW200
    and...2 of Lil_bear's finest doo rags!

I am checking Utah, and Arizona, but then again the big markets, Phoenix, and Salt Lake City, are too far. I've found some bikes in San Diego, Sanfran, but that's too far.
    Is the Ninja 650r the same as the Ninja 500r? I'm told it's pretty much the same engine, a little heavier, but I should consider that as a beginner's bike, is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2BMild View Post
    Just checked Craigslist - here's a possible:
    '05 GS500

Bit older, but maybe. I'd ask about the funky paint job, and have a friend look for possible frame/engine damage (the lay of that paint job just makes me suspicious.)
    I did, I don't like it. I was told to avoid black bikes since they are more difficult to be seen at night, and look for bright colors, true?
    If I can find a new one, I'll buy it. Again, they have the Ninja 650r 07 and 08, but I don't know if that's too much to handle. thoughts?

Never mind on the 650r, it was already answered in another thread.

650R has 72 HP, 500's are in the 35-50 HP range. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it, that 30% increase in HP has a potential to bite back - hard. Frankly, the Ninja 500 is pushing it for a goodly number of noobs, even though it's got a rep for being a sweet-handling bike.

Far as visibility - honestly, drivers are more likely to see the rider than the bike anyway. Still, if it's thumbs-down on the bike, it's thumbs-down - didn't know if you'd seen it or not.
    The fleet:

'05 Vulcan 500
    '06 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Whizbang View Post
    If you've got the cash, GET THE NEW ONE. There's lots of talk of a vastly improved midrange which might make your beginner bike last you a lot longer!
    New as in 2009 model? I saw two 2008, one black (don't like), and one blue (I like).

Don't think you'll be seeing '09s 'til September at least. But, I could be wrong.

Went back & read the whole thread - have any luck on an F650GS?

Unfortunately, with the economy & all getting any motorcycle is going to be tough - worse, the bikes that are "noob-friendly" are really going to be in short supply. Chaparral in Berdoo's even having trouble keeping small bikes on the floor; they're selling 'em almost as fast as they can uncrate 'em. Scooters especially, but "range bikes" (Reb's, Star 250, small dual-sports) are selling too. Ninja 250's - there's a pretty substantial waiting list.
    The fleet:

'05 Vulcan 500
    '06 TW200

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beto736 View Post
    Unfortunately, in Las Vegas the market is very small and the bikes for sale go for premium price.
    Keep an eye peeled in the RJ classifieds. Last weekend there was a pair of low mileage/late model 250cc bikes listed for well under KBB, both were gone by Monday. Have cash ready and be prepared to pounce.

Also keep your eyes peeled for street corner/driveway bikes for sale.

What part of town are you in? I'm at the southern tip of Sunrise Mountain.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! lledier's Avatar
    Well, I went to a couple of Dealerships here, and found a grand total of ONE 250...