Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my scooter has been stolen - what do i do??

Exclamation my scooter has been stolen - what do i do??

actually ... no. i haven't actually bought a scooter yet. BUT, i've been looking into wheel locks and other anti-theft things to get with the scooter. though, i don't seem to be making a lot of progress ...

however, i have found the website for the National Bike Registry. though it concentrates on pedal bicycles, on one of it's pages it says it'll work for scooters, too. i've sent them an email asking about the extent of their scooter registration, but haven't heard back yet.

the scooter i'm getting is a yamaha c3 - a fat vintage vespa-style 50cc scooter. in my state, i can get away with using it without needing to get it licensed and registered and insured and all that. however, to expand the recovery possibilities in the case it gets stolen (which everybody who knows i'm buying a scooter has told me that it will), should i try to get it registered at the DMV anyways, even if there's a good fee to do it?

Flirting With The Redline yossarian's Avatar
    uh... a c3 is nothing like a vintage vespa, nothing.

Park next to a shiny new squidly 600 and no one will think about touching your scooter...
    -Nik

1975 Vespa Rally 200 (street)
    1977 Vespa Rally 200 (race)
    1979 Vespa P200e
    1989 Suzuki GS500e <--- get it out of my garage.. please!
    2005 Buell XB9SX CityX

well, i ment that the c3 is like a vespa, that it has a flat seat, the motor is on the back wheel, and it has an open footboard. for actual aesthetic looks, the c3 is miles different, and that's one of the reasons why i picked it.

what if i'm the only kid going to campus on a scooter/moped/motorcycle? there wasn't any in previous years, so i expect to be the first one this year ...

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! Logan's Avatar
    More like a Cushman

2004 Moto Guzzi California EV Touring,
    2001 BMW F650GSa,

Past Rides: 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000, 1974 Honda CB450, 1966 Yamaha 305, 1971 Honda CL100

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! monty's Avatar
    Go to wal-mart and get one of those cable lock things in the bike section it.s a honest mans lock if a real crook shows up its good as gone anyway or better yet put a sticker on it that says protected by gps unit can you find it before the cops find you

Contributor 8000 Posts! LDYAPXR's Avatar
    What state are you in that you do not need to register, insure or have a license to drive it? I have never heard of a scooter not having to be registered if it is being driven on the street. And really, do you want to buy that and NOT insure it just in case it is stolen?
    Darlene The Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Go to wal-mart and get one of those cable lock things in the bike section it.s a honest mans lock if a real crook shows up its good as gone anyway or better yet put a sticker on it that says protected by gps unit can you find it before the cops find you
    heh, i've heard of a gps thing for the scooter from a dealer before. how can i get into that?
    Quote Originally Posted by LDYAPXR View Post
    What state are you in that you do not need to register, insure or have a license to drive it? I have never heard of a scooter not having to be registered if it is being driven on the street. And really, do you want to buy that and NOT insure it just in case it is stolen?
    indiana. conditions here that if the vehicle is 50cc or lower, goes 35mph or slower, then it's a moped and doesn't need licensing and insurance. unless i understood things wrong ... i should probably read the DMV site again.

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! Logan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariel View Post
    heh, i've heard of a gps thing for the scooter from a dealer before. how can i get into that?

indiana. conditions here that if the vehicle is 50cc or lower, goes 35mph or slower, then it's a moped and doesn't need licensing and insurance. unless i understood things wrong ... i should probably read the DMV site again.
    Lojack costs $750-800

And like LDS asked, do you want to risk gaving a $2000 vehicle without any insurance if stolen (or someone backs over it and drives away)?

If that's the route you want to go, you might want to go cheap used scooter instead.
    2004 Moto Guzzi California EV Touring,
    2001 BMW F650GSa,

Past Rides: 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000, 1974 Honda CB450, 1966 Yamaha 305, 1971 Honda CL100

Contributor 8000 Posts! LDYAPXR's Avatar
    Per the IN BMV

Motorized Bicycles:
    A motorized bicycle, commonly known as a “moped,” is distinguished under Indiana law
    by having no more than two-horse power, a cylinder capacity not exceeding 50 cubic centimeters,
    and an automatic transmission. Such a vehicle is not considered a “motor vehicle.”
    Vehicles with engines exceeding these limits are motorcycles, and a person must meet the
    licensing requirements to operate such a vehicle legally. A manufacturer’s certificate of origin or
    a certificate of title, if any, to the vehicle will indicate whether such vehicle is a motorized bicycle
    or a motorcycle.
    The following requirements apply to the operator of a motorized bicycle:
    • An operator of a motorized bicycle must be at least 15 years of age.
    • An operator of a motorized bicycle must have a valid driver license or have a current BMVissued
    identification card in his or her possession.
    • A motorized bicycle may not be operated on an interstate highway or at a speed in excess of
    25 miles per hour.
    • If an individual is under the age of 18, they are required to wear protect headgear and
    protective glasses, goggles or transparent face shield.
    NOTE: Some scooters may fall under the same restrictions as a motorized bicycle, while
    others may be considered a motorcycle.

You might want to double check with them before you buy it.
    Darlene The Goddess

Flirting With The Redline We've stopped counting... caeman's Avatar
    Paint it pink and purple and get some streamers off the ends of the handle bars. No one will touch it then.
    Chad Wilson

1984 Honda Shadow VT700c