+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picture uploading

Picture uploading

I've noticed that a number of new people have trouble uploading pictures into a message. You can count me in that group even though I have been here a while. Do you think it would be possible to make a list of the exact steps one needs to take to upload a picture within a post somewhere on the forum and then save it as a sticky? All I know is that the process recommended by a some includes having an account at a site such as "photobucket". Having an account like that and adding pictures from your own personal picture files is one thing. What does one do after that to get the pictures here?

The process may seem obvious for the computer literate. I am not counted amoung those savvy people. I need a very specific step by step procedure written out if I am to ever have success uploading pictures to posts.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
    Marilyn

Contributor We've stopped counting... MsPotatoPotatoHead's Avatar
    Open a photobucket account.

Once you have an account and are logged into photobucket, click on the "my album" tab.

In the upper right will be three spaces with a "Browse" button next to them. Click into one of those spaces and click "Browse."

Browse to the directory on your computer where your pictures are stored. Select the picture you want to upload. Repeat for more than one picture.

Then click the "Upload" button in photobucket. Depending on the size of the pic, your internet speed, and how many pics you are uploading, this can take awhile.

When it is finished uploading, it will display your pictures below the "Browse/Upload" area on the page.

Each of the images will have four tags/codes below them. Click on the one that starts with [IMG] so that the full code string is highlighted. Then right click on it and select "Copy."

In your BBO post, just right click again and select "Paste" to insert the link. It will display in the completed post as a photo.

Flirting With The Redline Midlifrdr's Avatar
    Jo beat me to it, but I do it a little differently (maybe that's why there's not a sticky ...)

Once the pic is uploaded to Photobucket, you'll see four codes below each one.

Click on the "Direct Link" code and you should get a little message bubble that says "copied".

Then, in your BBO message, click on the "insert image" icon (the yellow one with the mountain).

In the dialog box that comes up, delete the http:// , then right click in the box and click paste (this will paste the "direct link" code that you copied in Photobucket earlier).

You'll only see the image code in your message as you're typing, but you can check the size or placement with the "Preview Post" button.

Hope that helps!
    Dave
    Last edited by Midlifrdr; 03-23-2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Cause Jo beat me to the post ...

Hey Guys that was Great info for everyone...wonder if we could get it as a sticky for future reference.
    Jack

2006 VTX1800F T's - 2003 VTX1800C Jack's

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    Moved to help desk forum and stickied.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Thanks everyone! Now there's hope
    Marilyn

Contributor 10,000 Posts! Cindy's Avatar
    Google Picasa is good too, and it's free. It stores all your pictures in one place and much, much more.

http://picasa.google.com/features/index.html
    Last edited by Cindy; 03-23-2008 at 11:05 AM.
    2007 BMW F650GS
    2006 Vespa LX150
    2003 BMW R1200C Montana *sold*

Over 100,000 miles since 8/02

Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
    -Helen Keller

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We also have our own photo gallery. It's down for some renovations right now, but it does work, and its just as easy to use for the occasional upload. Not to say it cant handle all the pictures you may have....but using photobucket or whatever has its advantages like bulk uploads.
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    Google Picasa is good too, and it's free. It stores all your pictures in one place and much, much more.

http://picasa.google.com/features/index.html
    Personally, I like Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/), not least because it doesn't seem to get blocked as often as more popular, well-known sites like Photobucket. They also do batch uploading.
    2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 -- Boudicca
    2002 Suzuki GZ250 -- Friday (sold)
    1987 Kawasaki KZ305
    I am Moto Crew at the Boston Avon Walk for Breast Cancer -- you wish you could have this much fun! Join us!

SKnight is allowed to call me mean. All others... at your peril.

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Like db said, until we get our own upload stuff back online, you'll have to have your images hosted elswhere and use the "[IMG]url of image[/IMG]" tag to post images.

We have had a weird glitch with the quick reply box and with quick edit where the first image will show up as a link instead of an image. Don't have that figured out, but if you use "go advanced" or "preview" to post images you shouldn't have a problem.

Meanwhile check this link from within our FAQ's for help with using codes while posting:
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

+ Reply to Thread