Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Fit Guidelines...

Very informative...thank you so much.

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... twizted1's Avatar
    To add to this, for those of you who wear either oval headshape or round headshape helmets, you can use this chart from Web Bike World to see what headshape the helmets they've tested are. It is helpful if you know you have an oval or a round headshape.
    Rain or Shine 8 - May 20-22, 2016 - Monterey, TN

No matter what goes to hell, always rise from the ashes, stronger.

I'd like to post some thoughts on this... (and obviously correct me where I am completely wrong)

"If you feel a hot point at forehead, you probably have an ‘oval profile’ head and should try one of the Arai models"

Not true. First off, Arai models come in different shapes as well. The RX-Q is rounder than the Signet-Q. So simply switching to Arai as a brand doesn't accomplish anything necessarily. Switching to a helmet with the right shape does. And where you have the hotspots and what helmet you are wearing, and size will help determine your headshape. For example:

- If your head is more narrow, and the helmet that you are trying on is rounder, assuming it is the right size, you will feel hotspots on the forehead and back, but not on the sides (as the sides will bee too wide).
    - If your head is more oval and the helmet you try on is narrow, you will feel the hotspots on the sides (assuming the helmet sizing is correct)

IOW (to reverse that) assuming the sizing is correct:
    - Hotspots on the front and back and not on the sides mean that your head is a narrower shape than that helmet. Take it off and look for one with a narrower profile (I say narrowER because the helmet you are trying on could be a round shape, and you might need an intermediate oval, not necessarily a "narrow" shape)
    - Hotspots on the sides only, mean your head is rounder than the helmet shape, and the sides of your head are being "pinched" by the narrowness of the helmet.

So, if you have hotspots on the front and back, if you switch to an Arai RX-Q, it may not necessarily solve your shape problems. Try an Arai Signet-Q, or a Shoei RF-1100, or a Shark

"a helmet that has been dropped should be replaced"

Not necessarily true. If the helmet is not loaded inside (it doesn't have a head or bowling ball in it), then a short drop from a bike's handle bars isn't going to damage the EPS liner or compromise the outer shell. I know this goes against what most people say, but if an UNloaded helmet is dropped from 3 feet and it riuns that EPS liner, then that EPS liner isn't going to help as much as you need it to when your head is in it and you high-side the bike. DItto with the shell integrity. But don't take my word for it. Check out what the guy from Arai says:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras...ts/index.shtml

The dropping part is at 7 minutes in, but watch the whole thing, it is excellent, and reinforces what was stated in the original post here.

Re: the sizing chart on WebBikeWorld:
    It listed the Arai Signet-Q, Scorpion EXO-500, and EXO-700 all as slightly narrow, and the Shark RSI as narrow, and the Shoei Qwest and RF-1100 as narrow. I don't think this is right.

I have tried on all of these helmets in the past 2 weeks. The Signet-Q fit me very well. The Shark RSI fit me very well. The RF-1100 fit me very well. The Qwest was a little too round for me. ALL of the Scorpions not only ran small (I had to go XL in a Scorpion, whereas Shoei, Shark, Arai, Icon, and Speed & Strength I was a L), but all of he Scorpions were not a good fit at all. There was a noticeable gap on the sides, meaning that these were far rounder than narrow or slightly narrow. They are Intermediate Oval or rounder. The Arai RX-Q was too round for me (that chart shows it as slightly round), but it was not nearly as round as all 3 of those Scorpions. So, don't take that chart for gospel when ordering, unless the place has a good return and return shipping policy, or you can try one out locally.

BTW, you may not have been able to buy Arai online back when the guide was written, but you most certainly can now.

Also, wrt buying used. If the helmet has been used only once or twice, and you can ensure that it has never been dropped or crashed in, then it probably has LESS wear than one sitting on a shelf in a shop. But you do have to be careful. The Shark RSI I bought was used twice by the seller's wife before they had to get rid of their bike. When I bought it it looked brand new. What I mean by that is that I thoroughly inspected it, and there was literally not a single ding or scratch on the helmet (any drop or anything that would compromise the EPS would result in a scratch or a ding, unless the wearer was wearing it indoors and feel down hitting their head on a carpeted floor, which could compromise it). I asked if she wore hair products when wearing it. She does not (I have heard that certain hairspray and other products can have ill effects on the EPS). I removed the liner and fully inspected the EPS. The liner still smelled brand new as did the rest of the helmet (a washed and cleaned liner won't have that "new" smell anymore). The bag with the owners manual and breath guard had not even ever been opened. The helmet is black, so it is very easy to spot any scratches or dings. On graphics helmets its not that easy. As for any drops (possibly on carpet), see my comment above on a dropped helmet. Since no vendors here sell Shark helmets, it had to be ordered, which probably means that it hadn't been tried on 100 times in a store prior to purchase. I'm saying that it *IS* possible to buy a *used* helmet, but to find one that is actually worth spending the $$$ on because you can ensure it has not been compromised is very rare, or at least difficult to verify. While in general it is not a good idea at all to buy used, once in a while you can find something that is perfectly reasonable, and at least as safe as a store one (where you have no idea how many of those 100 people that tried it on beforehand had hairspray on, or dropped it and quickly put it back, or whatever).

I would like to add that the fitting guide otherwise, is excellent. The part about leaning your head forward and trying to push it off from behind is great advice that you really don't see very often or in sizing guides (it was in my Shark owner's manual though). The part about not using Rain-X I did not know, and is really great to know. This of course begs the question, with a couple of Rain-X competitors out there, is there any equivalent product that *IS* ok for a helmet faceshield? Anyone make one that is specific to helmets like that? Because I use Rain-X on my car and that stuff is just amazing on my windsheild. Otherwise, great, great post!

The thing that amazes me is HOW some people pick helmets. I was at my local Cycle Gear store this weekend. A woman was there looking for a new helmet and a leather jacket (track-style ones, not Harley-style ones). yet she wore shorts and sneakers on her bike, and was picking the helmet based upon the graphic design. She found, w/o trying any on, the helmet whose looks appealed to her the most, and then tried on one of those, proclaimed that it fit, and bought it. No regard to brand, safety certification, features, ventilation, etc. and she wore it for all of 2 seconds before she took it off and her wallet out. (shakes head).

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've often thought the "perfect" thing for helmet manufacturers to do would be to provide cross-sectional templates of their various helmet sizes for each model. These could be printed out, and you could cut them out to get an APPROXIMATE fit - at least get within the correct manufacturer and/or model line for your head!

The final test is, of course, with the helmet ON you head. But, you can know in advance whether the helmet you have set your sights on comes close enough to consider.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brain21 View Post
    ...The part about not using Rain-X I did not know, and is really great to know. This of course begs the question, with a couple of Rain-X competitors out there, is there any equivalent product that *IS* ok for a helmet faceshield?
    I've been using Rain-X on helmet faceshields for 30 years. Shoei, Bell, AGV, Schuberth, Arai, never had any trouble with any of them. (Still probably a good idea to first test a corner though)

I'll email the manufacturer, just in case. Thanks for the tips!

This is all good info but I will say this, price is a factor. Not everyone can afford an Arai or Schuberth helmet. Most people come up with a number they're comfortable with and then start looking at helmets in that range, it's not the most ideal way, but we don't live in a perfect world. I tried on a variety of helmets and settled on a Shoei Multitec. Wore it for about 30 minutes in the store and it felt fine. My first outings on my bike were fine until my ride time got up to around an hour and that's when I developed a hot-spot on my forehead that is brutal. I'll have to get another helmet but forking out close to $600 for an Arai (I do need a more oval) means no long trips until I have the cash or unless I can find an oval that is a bit less costly. (Suggestions anyone?) I guess my best suggestion would be to wear the helmet for at least an hour if possible but know that road vibration etc. might still effect your comfort.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Val's Avatar
    Yes. Helmet fit can be a tough one. My first helmet was great until I made my first trip to bug bash. After an hour it gave me a horrible hot spot on the forehead. Length of time can really show where the weakness in the fit is. It was mostly trial and error for me. My wife and I have a couple of helmets that we will never wear agin due to this. I have gotten it down now and love my Shoei Qwest. I can and have rode with it for 8-10 hour days. Just keep trying them on and higher cost does not mean a better fit but may give you more shape options.
    aka: Muffin

08 Kawasaki Concours
    09 Suzuki c50 - Gone after 15,000 great miles.

Quote Originally Posted by KMGuy View Post
    .......... I'll have to get another helmet but forking out close to $600 for an Arai (I do need a more oval) means no long trips until I have the cash or unless I can find an oval that is a bit less costly. (Suggestions anyone?) I guess my best suggestion would be to wear the helmet for at least an hour if possible but know that road vibration etc. might still effect your comfort.
    Take a look at a Scorpion. Lionlady has an Arai head, but she also had a Scorpion with a very similar fit.
    Chaz

"In terms of improving one’s mood and general outlook I consider the ukulele to be the big gun." - Loudon Wainwright III

'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color!

RiderCoach 1000 Posts! lionlady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brain21 View Post
    ...is there any equivalent product that *IS* ok for a helmet faceshield? Anyone make one that is specific to helmets like that?

PLEXXUS. Made for high tech plastics (Rain-X is made for glass). Its in a blue/black/white can. Many cycle shops have the tank bag size. We've got a big can in the garage, and guitardad and I carry the little one in our tank bags.

P
    If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be. -Maya Angelou