Page 9369 of 10369 FirstFirst ... 83698869926993199359936793689369937093719379941994699869 ... LastLast
Results 93,681 to 93,690 of 103684

Thread: The Official BBO Bar - yep, we had to move again...

RiderCoach 5000 Posts!
    Huh...

This kind of matches up to what Trials posted:
    http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! ds5160's Avatar
    And many who own guns own more than one. That is something a lot of people forget.
    Last edited by ds5160; 11-13-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: changed most to many
    I still make a runny one now and then, but the goo is good on ice cream.

-- Overcaffeinated

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ds5160 View Post
    And many who own guns own more than one. That is something a lot of people forget.
    ... considering the count of guns I thought it was kinda obvious

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Kootenanny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sxy Rdr View Post
    The problem is the media labels any big dog attack as a pit attack. Makes for good ratings ya know.

http://www.pickthepit.com/

http://www.smilingdogrescue.com/find_the_pitbull.html

Just a couple of examples of the issue.

Again... blame the owners, not the breed.
    I like those pages. From the first:

The first dog you picked was . It took you -1384373605 seconds, and 1 attempt to find the Pit. The dog most commonly picked is the Olde English Bulldogge, and the average time is -3868 seconds with 9 attempts.
    I've owned two PBX's, and both were sweet dogs with people; one did become quite aggressive towards other dogs, but then again none of our dogs, of any breed, roam free (although we live in an area where many dogs do).

People gotta keep in mind that the entire concept of "dog breeds" is recent, maybe 150 years old now...prior to that, people just had "dogs," although there were often regional traits (note that many breeds today include a region in the name). Dog owners had no qualms about breeding for certain traits, be it size, attitude, or physiology. It should be no surprise that "Pit Bulls" are actually no different than any other "bully" breed--they've only been considered a "breed" for maybe, what, 100 years? Less? Prior to that, a "Pit Bull" would have been any dog used in organized dogfighting (a distasteful, savage activity IMO). BTW, ever seen a Bedlington Terrier?--they're another breed that was often used in dogfighting, but you simply don't hear about "Bedlington Terrier attacks" very often.

(Note also that English Bulldogs are descended from dogs bred for "bulldogging," a delightful English sport in which several dogs were pitted against a bull in a blood contest to the death. Obviously, such an activity requires a dog with a decidedly nasty temperament and bullheaded tenacity; however, such traits have been largely bred out of the Old English Bulldog--along with a few other traits...the American Bulldog was actually developed as a re-creation of the original English Bulldog, but without the original temperament...).

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! ds5160's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    ... considering the count of guns I thought it was kinda obvious
    I try not to make assumptions.
    I still make a runny one now and then, but the goo is good on ice cream.

-- Overcaffeinated

Flirting With The Redline We've stopped counting... weaver's Avatar
    Interesting find, Helen.

As far as most gun owners having more than one, that makes a fair amount of sense given the reasons for owning. A lot of people own guns for hunting/sporting reasons. If you hunt deer and small game/fowl, you probably want a rifle for the deer hunting and a shotgun for small game/fowl. Or even a small bore rifle for small game, a large bore for deer, a shotgun for dove, one caliber of handgun for competition, and another for carry. Though that last one might just be me.
    '05 Blue Kawi EX250 - RIP 6/17/10
    Still in the market. Free is good.
    motorcycle4amonth.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sxy Rdr View Post
    VA isn't that restrictive (yet) but I bet most of NoVA and VA Beach/Hampton Roads dwellers don't own guns. (As we were reminded again... how NoVA/VA Beach votes determines what happens in the entire state).
    Yeah- shame that the state follows the larger portion of the population

I'd be surprised if the Va Beach area didn't have a significantly higher gun ownership. It's still largely republican with a huge miltary and redneck presence. The only reason parts of the south went blue in the governor election is because Cuccinelli really screwed them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...1fc_story.html

Me- I'm bringing up the NoVa average with 15 firearms. Go me!
    90% of happiness is choosing the right ethicist.
    WoodstockJeff: It's amazing how much looking ahead keeps you in the audience of the play known as "Stupid Traffic Stunts", rather than up on the stage...
    speeddemon: "Sarchasm: the aching void across which one cannot see that one has been pwned."

Can't seem to post my full avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenanny View Post
    The first dog you picked was . It took you -1384373605 seconds, and 1 attempt to find the Pit. The dog most commonly picked is the Olde English Bulldogge, and the average time is -3868 seconds with 9 attempts.
    Same here. Our redbone coonhound (looks a lot like the Rhodesian and the black mouth cur in the test) is one of the older regional breeds in the south, being one of the first hunting dogs bred for a specific coat color in addition to the tracking prowess.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar

Statistics R fun

.... don't you hate it when you drop the drain plug into the dirty oil and have to go fishing for it,
    at least I didn't feel any dead mice in there this time

Oh, definitely done that before. Also sans dead mice.