Page 10367 of 10369 FirstFirst ... 936798671026710317103571036510366103671036810369 LastLast
Results 103,661 to 103,670 of 103683

Thread: The Official BBO Bar - yep, we had to move again...

I thought the less than perfect traction is what made off road interesting? Dirt, sand, mud, rocks, logs, water crossings .. definitely different than the relatively consistent asphalt/concrete of street biking. We hit a couple of gulches today full of watermelon to hay bale sized rocks .. (my very limited trials experience came in handy) .. and explored about 45 miles of trails .. fun and challenging. We never seem to take pics of the gnarl .. mebbe because I am trying to survive ..

What I like best about off roading is exploring ..

In search of nowhere ..

Not nowhere .. but you can see it from here .. (rocks ain't the problem .. cactus is .. )

My Canadian riding pal .. Kay Bee .. just a delight to go on rides with, eh.
    Last edited by OBX-RIDER; 03-05-2019 at 08:54 PM.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Ontario license plate at least somebody is getting good value for their high priced Ontario insurance premiums.

Lack of traction makes terrain challenging but total traction with lots of change in elevation is what really does it for me. My street distance is measured in miles or kilometres and my off-road fun is measured in vertical feet If bad traction is interesting then the ice conditions here right would be perfect :/ I fell down hard yesterday just walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Ontario license plate at least somebody is getting good value for their high priced Ontario insurance premiums.

Lack of traction makes terrain challenging but total traction with lots of change in elevation is what really does it for me. My street distance is measured in miles or kilometres and my off-road fun is measured in vertical feet If bad traction is interesting then the ice conditions here right would be perfect :/ I fell down hard yesterday just walking.
    The secret is running the equipment suitable to the conditions. I gotta couple of Northern friends who rip on ice with studded tires. I doubt you run race slicks on your trials bikes and I don't run trials tires on my track bike.

iceriding

I'm running Nuetech Tubliss with a Sedona 907 rear and Shinko Fat Tyre front at 7 psi .. the Jim Slaven's rock recommendation on my KTM .. and I would bet me and my Canadian friend get tens of thousands of vertical feet each Winter riding the local mountains/hills. Even Norty got a coupla hundred despite the 'lack of traction'.

Mebbe he should have checked the tire pressure in the DR350 he rode .. or recognised he was riding on 50/50 dual sport tires .. ? My Canadian pal Kathi made a quantum leap forward in traction when she went to 90/10 off road tires instead of the 50/50s .. and added HD tubes and dropped to 12-13 psi.

Trials type tires have become very popular in Colorado but here in the Sonoran the rocks are sharp and there is a lot of gravel/sand washes. Climbing rock mountains/hills is first priority .. (actually proper body armor is first) .. but you have to be able to navigate sand. We got everything but mud .. and this Winter we even had that.

Given a proper off road bike I am sure you would do well here .. near vertical rock faces frequently turns us around .. and I find myself wishing I'd spent more time on my trials bike ..
    Last edited by OBX-RIDER; 03-06-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Suitable equipment here right now is a snowmobile or a 12 grand motorcycle with a 6 grand track drive.

but that's all about to change in a week or two
    I've already started setting up for maple syrup production and once that's done riding season is here.

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post

My Canadian riding pal .. Kay Bee .. just a delight to go on rides with, eh.
    Yeah, she's badass. I wanna be like her when I grow up.
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post

Trials type tires have become very popular in Colorado but here in the Sonoran the rocks are sharp and there is a lot of gravel/sand washes. Climbing rock mountains/hills is first priority .. (actually proper body armor is first) .. but you have to be able to navigate sand. We got everything but mud .. and this Winter we even had that.

Given a proper off road bike I am sure you would do well here .. near vertical rock faces frequently turns us around .. and I find myself wishing I'd spent more time on my trials bike ..
    Proper body armor, I need more of that.
    And I completely experienced how different (read: better) lower tire pressures are offroad.
    Your trials bike is small, maybe you can fold it up and bring it next year?
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal LabRat View Post
    Yeah, she's badass. I wanna be like her when I grow up.
    She says she wants to be like me ...

But yeah ... she went up one mother of a hill a few days ago .. mebbe even tougher than I've tried. Kathi took a step forward when I dropped her tire pressure a few pounds. If you ride fast you need higher pressure to keep from getting pinch flats from all the big rocks .. but if you ride slower you can air down.

It is truly amazing considering her little XT225 .. but Ken who may have be the best off road rider here loves that little bike. He thinks of it as almost a trials bike.

With a little help she got truly off road worthy boots and knee/shin guards. I think she still needs hip pads and better body armor .. I pad Gigi up like the michelin man .. when she falls she kinda bounces ..

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    You feeling better, Mike?
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Missy B View Post
    You feeling better, Mike?
    I'm better .. but still too sick to ride. Gigi and Kathi are headed out this very minute though ..

Hereís a pic from Saturday.

Log crossing on the trail. Not me as Iím taking the pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.