Page 10370 of 10370 FirstFirst ... 93709870102701032010360103681036910370
Results 103,691 to 103,698 of 103698

Thread: The Official BBO Bar - yep, we had to move again...

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Too bad you're not here today Norty you could snow plow my driveway for me.

This morning we have about half a foot of fresh snow on top of half an inch of ice covered everything. Interesting snow fact; it takes a layer of warm air to make the big snow flakes, rising warm air mass carries the snow crystals back up into the colder air layers above where they continue to freeze and accumulate, forming larger flakes that eventually become to heavy and fall. If it gets real cold then the falling water becomes sleet or freezing rain and never turns to snow. Man made snow is a good example of this, man made snow makes smaller crystals, granular and contains more ice then air.
    Once snow hits the ground the nature of the snow changes constantly as it settles, melts and evaporates. Ground snow conditions can change rapidly and will vary depending on how much direct sunlight or tree canopy is in the area.
    Lake has about 8 inches of ice on it now, in theory if the fresh water ice quality is good that is sufficient thick to drive a car on.

One other semi-useless fact: Salt water ice is considerably stronger and more flexible then Fresh water ice. I guess that is not useless information if you ever have to cross ice.

Quote Originally Posted by spotbeagle View Post
    Further proof of why I gave you the nickname I did
    Mr. Spectacular?

Awwww, shucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Too bad you're not here today Norty you could snow plow my driveway for me.

This morning we have about half a foot of fresh snow on top of half an inch of ice covered everything. Interesting snow fact; it takes a layer of warm air to make the big snow flakes, rising warm air mass carries the snow crystals back up into the colder air layers above where they continue to freeze and accumulate, forming larger flakes that eventually become to heavy and fall. If it gets real cold then the falling water becomes sleet or freezing rain and never turns to snow. Man made snow is a good example of this, man made snow makes smaller crystals, granular and contains more ice then air.
    Once snow hits the ground the nature of the snow changes constantly as it settles, melts and evaporates. Ground snow conditions can change rapidly and will vary depending on how much direct sunlight or tree canopy is in the area.
    Lake has about 8 inches of ice on it now, in theory if the fresh water ice quality is good that is sufficient thick to drive a car on.

One other semi-useless fact: Salt water ice is considerably stronger and more flexible then Fresh water ice. I guess that is not useless information if you ever have to cross ice.
    All new info for me. Here’s my “snow.”

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    My oldest saw snow falling for the first time when he was about 12. We were with the Boy Scouts, camping in the Grand Canyon. I woke up at about 2am to a full-moon and snow falling. Woke up the kids so that they could see the snow. "It's just like in the movies!" was my son's reaction.

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    We have family back in NY so the kids saw snow at a young age when we'd go back to visit for the holidays. I'll never forget Cam's first snow encounter. He was about 3 and we stayed overnight in Syracuse after arriving late at the airport. We woke up the next morning to fresh snow. We were in a hotel room that opened right to the parking lot, so he went running out, tripped on the parking curb that was buried in the snow, and COMPLETELY face planted. That's when he realized snow was cold....and he WAS. NOT. IMPRESSED.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    PS. Norty, you are looking great!!!
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar

Cool

Was -19C here last night, which is still not really that bad for Canada -20C is cold enough to literally destroy soft compound tires. I've seen -40 in past years, that's where C meets F and is cold enough to make metal brittle, that's something you don't want to experience too often.
    Can't complain this year unless you want to ride snowmobiles, looks like snowmobile season will be 3 months at most here and I'm feeling kind of happy that I bought another Montesa instead of a new snow machine.

Can I show off my dog now say Hi Stuka

Last edited by Trials; 01-21-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Usually, I look like this....