Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 82 Yamaha Maxim 400

82 Yamaha Maxim 400

Hi,

My first thread. Found this place while trying to find a manual for my Maxim which hasnt been easy.

I have a 1982 Yamaha Maxim 400 (XJ400) and I need a shop manual. If anyone has one for sale or know where I can get one, I would really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks
    Joe

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! ZaGhost's Avatar
    Is it an XJ or XS Maxim, most of the XJ's were in Europe.
    XS it parallel twin, XJ a four.

I have a manual for the XS, otherwise, try XJbikes.com , but there is very little XJ400 info out there. But some mention of it on the XJ CD supplied on that site.
    1999 SV650 (US import)
    1983 Yamaha Maxim 400
    My Maxim rebuild page

xs or xj

The guy I just bought it off of insisted that it was an xj, but I am not so sure. I have been doing a ton of research, and my vin number comes up as an xs, the parts store says it's an xs, I just found a manuel for an xs400j at repairmanuals.com so I am thinking that the previous owner may have been incorrect. Even my title says xs. Now I know there are
    xs400's and there are xs400 maxim's and they are different bikes from the pictures that I have seen. Is that what you have found as well?

Joe

Oh yea

Oh yea, it's definately a paralllel twin, not a four cylinder.

Joe

Yep that's it... the 1982 is an XS400J, Mine's an 83, XS400K The Seca was XS400RJ and XS400RK, the Maxim XJ400 was the 4 cyl version, a few made it over this way, but otherwise only in Europe, maybe Asia I believe... hard beast to find any info on.
    To be sure your VIN# will start with 15G

The thing that sets the Maxim apart from the other XS400's is ,,
    1) It's a DOHC engine, not a SOHC.
    2) It has the monoshock under the seat instead of a shock on each side.

Great riding bike, been having a blast, wish I had gotten it on the road sooner....
    But it took some time , effort and $$ to get her back from sitting in a basement for 7years.
    1999 SV650 (US import)
    1983 Yamaha Maxim 400
    My Maxim rebuild page

Question about high speeds

Well I definately have the xs400j Maxim, complete with monoshock in the rear.

My next issue is I just came back from cruising around and I got the bike up to around 55 mph and the front end feels like the tire is barely touching the road. Is this a normal sensation that as a very new rider (less than 200 miles under my belt) I need to get used to? And can this bike handle getting on the freeway and cruising at 65 to 70 mph? I am feeling a little nervous at the higher speeds and the bike doesnt feel like it has as much control as it does say at 45 mph which I am fine with.

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... LoDownSinner's Avatar
    How old are your tires?
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    put the whiffer in the dilly

tires

Not sure but they seem to have plenty of tread and they corner nice.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeQuibler View Post
    Hi,

My first thread. Found this place while trying to find a manual for my Maxim which hasnt been easy.

I have a 1982 Yamaha Maxim 400 (XJ400) and I need a shop manual. If anyone has one for sale or know where I can get one, I would really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks
    Joe
    Ebay has one, here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...DME:B:EF:US:11

Keep an eye on the tires, mine are old, no signs of rot or cracking yet, but I plan to replace them for next season. Keep an eye on the sidewalls for cracking, LDS can chip in with other stuff to look out for as well (hint...hint)

As for the front tire feeling, mine feels pretty solid.... first bike after moving up from a scooter (put about 2500km's on that). I haven't had it up to 65-70 mph, I've hit 55 and still feels solid.

A lot of it could be newb nerves, when I first got the scoot it took a while to adjust to driving at faster speeds..... seems more natural now...
    1999 SV650 (US import)
    1983 Yamaha Maxim 400
    My Maxim rebuild page