Page 1 of 286 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The BBO Fit Club

Lurking For The Next Bike 10,000 Posts! hqp921's Avatar

Thumbs up The BBO Fit Club

I got the idea for this thread after the topic of a healthy lifestyle change came up at, of all places, the BBO Bar.

This is a place for people seeking tips on how to change their lives for the better, whether through a change in diet (I mean, as a way of eating, not endorsing a specific kind of diet), in exercise (whether it's walking instead of taking the elevator, or actually going to the gym), or both!

Post your successes, your questions, words of motivation -- anything. This is a place where we can encourage each other towards a healthy life style.

Don't take this as a preachy kind of thing. If you want to participate, the contribute. If you don't, that's fine too. I just thought it would be neat to have a place for us to help each other work towards our goals, no matter what they are.

HP

I'm in....
    Silver '07 Kawi Ninja 250R (sold)
    '09 Kawi Versys

Quote Originally Posted by Overcaffeinated View Post
    Oh, hell, Smurf's right.
    First Missouri, then Minnesota, now Michigan.....it is my goal in life to live in every state that starts with "M" before I die.....

Didn't vote??? Don't whine....

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm in...though useless for me as it may be. I have a weird metabolism, whether I diet, workout 3-4 times a week, or just sit in front of the TV with a bucket of ice cream - I neither gain, nor lose weight. It sucks. I am however trying to get a new LEO position in my county... muahahaha ... so I am going to start running with my duty belt and gear on to build up a tolerance. Also I'm going to start busting out the mountain bike again.
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Here's some of the stuff I said in the bar that I'm moving here...

Quote Originally Posted by hqp921
    For those who are going on a diet or are thinking about going to the gym.

It's not about a temporary change, it's about a lifestyle change.

The reason diets fail is because most people see it as a 'do this now to lose weight.' The reality is, you need to change your lifestyle and attitude. We've been hardwired for thousands of years to gorge out. Food was never as readily available as it was. You had to hunt or find it, and when you had some? You'd start eating... lots, just in case it was a long time until the next meal. Unfortunately, we're still wired to do so, even though food is a lot more accessible.

As far as the gym goes - I go regularly. But it's also about the little things: parking further from the mall, taking the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator. Instead of sitting down in front of the TV after a meal - take a 15 minute walk. And while I'm thinking about it... eat slower - it takes your brain a while to tell you you're full... and usually, you've eaten way way more than you should when your brain finally tells you to stop.

I hope I'm not perceived as being 'negative' - I just want to stress that it's about a lifestyle and attitude change. I see people eating those 100 calorie pack snacks as a way to help control portions... great... but if you're going to eat half a dozen bags in one sitting, you're missing the point. Or people who eat two pieces of cake because they're washing it down with 'diet' soda. Then these are the same people who go to the gym and complain that they're not making any gains...
    The reason diets don't work is, people see it as temporary... "I'll be good until I lose 'x' pounds." Another reason is... most diets are based on the assumption, that you can cut your calories and your body is going to be okay. It's not. Yes, it's portion control, but the other part of the puzzle is not to starve yourself -- what do you think happens when you deprive your body of food? Again, think about way we're hard-wired. We're wired to overeat just in case we can't hunt or gather again... if your body isn't getting food, it's going to hang onto and store everything as fat.

Tip 1: Drink more water. Once you've had enough, drink more. 9 times out of 10, when you're 'hungry,' the reality is you're 'thirsty' The upside is, you'll cleanse your body naturally with all that agua.

Tip 2: Don't give up all your favorite foods right away, substitute others. You like PB & J on white bread? Ease off the white bread, it's pure sugar. Use 100% whole wheat... then change from your Skippy or Jif to all-natural PB... and then instead of sugarized Jelly, try buying fresh berries (blackberries, raspberries) - mash them with a fork and use that instead. Find ways like that to change what you're eating to a healthier choice, and you're already doing well... then you'll figure out the portion control.

Tip 3: Have a cheat day. If that's once a week, that's great. If it's once a month, even better. But give yourself a day that you can relax a bit -- mind you, I don't mean gorging and pigging out, but I mean, having that fat laden sandwich.

Like most people, I too struggle with this, because let's face it, some foods are just delicious to eat.

If you want to turn yourself away from fatty foods...? Let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours and take a look at it... when you can see fat and lard in solid form, it turns you off.
    Feel free to post your questions, thoughts, stories.

Heck, post your goals and what you're doing to get to them, we'll help you! Or at least encourage you.

HP

count me in too!

Quote Originally Posted by dboogie2288 View Post
    I'm in...though useless for me as it may be. I have a weird metabolism, whether I diet, workout 3-4 times a week, or just sit in front of the TV with a bucket of ice cream - I neither gain, nor lose weight. It sucks. I am however trying to get a new LEO position in my county... muahahaha ... so I am going to start running with my duty belt and gear on to build up a tolerance. Also I'm going to start busting out the mountain bike again.
    How old are you? Personal Q, I know.

If you're not gaining weight in the long run, then I would say you're rather successful. Most people are continually gaining weight.

Also, make sure you're not confusing muscle weight for water or fat weight. It's easy to over look, but your weight isn't the sole number of fitness.

HP

Well, I guess I HAVE to be in!
    '05 VStar 650 custom - 14,358 miles - my first
    '08 HD Street Bob - my current

M.I.T.G.C. member #28

Remember: Some people are like slinkies...not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs
    www.my2.tupperware.com/tdullnig

I've already let myself down too many times and let the ladies down in the Ladies Forum on fitness and eating right. So I'm going to keep quiet for a while and see how I do just trying to satisfy myself on my healthy lifestyle goals. But I'll check in. And keep an eye on this thread to get some ideas.

Simple goal: Drop 15-20 pounds (permanently) by Christmas.

How: Serious exercise program started 8/1 (when our new YMCA opened up). Currently up to 40-60 minutes of cardio/day (5+ days/week) plus weights 2-3 times/week. Also have cut out a lot of empty calories (read beer) that used to be consumed regularly.

Results: None yet, but then again, I worked out for 4 days at the beginning of the month and then was gone for 1-1/2 weeks on bidness and vacation.....
    Silver '07 Kawi Ninja 250R (sold)
    '09 Kawi Versys

Quote Originally Posted by Overcaffeinated View Post
    Oh, hell, Smurf's right.
    First Missouri, then Minnesota, now Michigan.....it is my goal in life to live in every state that starts with "M" before I die.....

Didn't vote??? Don't whine....

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    count me in too!
    *waves*

Welcome! I'm hoping to get more women in here as well.

It's not about achieving what society thinks is fit or healthy.

This is solely about YOUR goals, and how we can, as a community help each other achieve goals that we're setting for ourselves.

HP