Page 286 of 286 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286
Results 2,851 to 2,859 of 2859

Thread: The BBO Fit Club

While I agree it's easier to stay fit than it is to get fit ... it appears at least from statistics ... that it is harder to stay thin than it is to get thin. The experts say the only way that happens is if a person makes a permanent lifestyle change. I have "visited" 170 lbs several times in the last 10 years and 182 ... it appears 175 is just a place I pass through going up and down ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! Galaxieman's Avatar
    Getting off soda almost completely and getting a big breakfast made up of protein and fat (instead of carb-heavy cereals and breads) have been the two biggest food related changes I've made. When I made my post last November, I weighed 210, down from 221 three weeks prior. I could probably have stayed down around 185, but felt too skinny there. Which is funny, since I signed in as a 2LT weighing 163. I'm pretty sold on the stronger = better, since adding weight to the bar (and to me as well) has made my reconstructed knee feel better than it has in years. It'd also be nice to walk around at 220 wearing 34" pants instead of 38" pants...

My current goal is getting as strong as possible, which means I'll have to pick up more muscle. 1,000lb combined Squat/Bench/Deadlift is the initial goal. When I get there I'll see what I weigh and re-evaluate. Can't really do 1RM here at the house, but when I get reasonably past the goal (based on a 5RM to 1RM calculator), I'll probably hit up a gym where I can get a spotter. Current demonstrated combined is 790 (sum of 5RMs), which calculates to 907, at least theoretically. If I can manage to not plateau before PCS time rolls around, I might be able to get on the 1000lb club board at the Pentagon Athletic Center.

Time for my semi-annual Flight Physical today and the first words out of the doc's mouth were "Hey ... you're looking fit ..." I took that as a good thing ...

Kinda funny ... we talked more bout what's been wrong with him than me.

171 lbs., 9 chin-ups yesterday ... swimming 950 yds in 20 minutes ... will try for an even 1,000 in 20 today ... month #4 ...

That's always a nice feeling. The last time I visited the office I was previously working in at the Pentagon, a bunch of people looked at me and asked what I'd been doing, since I was ~40+lbs lighter than the last time I'd been by there. That was just prior to hitting my weight goal of 185 back on Easter Sunday. Getting back into lap swimming would be great, and your mentioning it just made me look up local options... Quantico has free ($) open-pool lap swimming 0530-0730 during the week, which would be a good motivation to get my butt back in gear for that.

Lifting continues, with this morning's work sets at 270 (squat), 200 (bench) and 355 (deadlift). Using a 5RM to 1RM calculator, that means I should be around a 1RM of 315 for the squat, 234 for the bench, and 415 for the DL. That's pretty close to my 1000# combined goal, so I plan on staying on the linear progression until the last workout before the movers come (more on that in another thread...), and then do a workup to 1RM on these lifts. My last 2 reps on the DL felt ugly as shit this morning, but didn't actually look that bad on video (oh yeah, I'm taping every rep of this LP, to keep tabs on how the lifts look vs how they felt, and for coaching help should I need it). It was pretty cool to have 2 reps at 300lbs as a warm-up weight, since 300 was the work set weight when I started on 20 April. 355 is also 25lbs higher than my previous 1RM, and considering I couldn't get 300 off the floor last year when I started lifting again, I'm pretty happy. IIRC, my best ever bench was 255 while I was in Iraq, and I managed a 305 squat once in HS, but it probably wasn't full depth, so I'm also approaching a personal best there as well.

I think we all need to find what works for us. I have a good friend, a chef with his own restaurant, who really maxes out using a personal trainer. His side of it is he has developed a successful diet program that he has marketed very successfully. (Tastefully Fit with Chef Wes Stepp.) He has whipped me up a couple of meals and they are delicious. At the core is eating healthy delicious small meals about every 3 hours ...

But his exercise program is centered around using a personal trainer ... and I have to say his results are great ... and long term. Funny because when I first met him around 20 years ago he was a slightly dissipated chubby fellow ...

For me convenience is important. My pool is a mile away ... and the swim lane is almost always available. I can be there and changed into swimwear and showered (lifeguard sons impressed upon me the importance of a soaking shower before swimming to keep pool chemicals out of your skin layer) in just over 6-7 minutes. I employ interval training there also ... every 3rd lap I sprint a length.

My regular workouts are in the "work-out" room over the garage. My workout clothes are already there. We have an extra window unit to chill the air up there and I walk up, turn it on ... come back down for water and my phone with timer app ... set it for 20 minutes, start the timer and go at it. The key for me is I know it will only take 20 minutes and I'm done. A lot of times when I'm recalcitrant the "just 20 minutes" wins the day. I try to do each exercise to muscle failure. And I change exercises slightly each time to keep it from being too routine.

It also helps me to have an activity to train for. Right now it's surfing. So i swim a lot. Later it will be off-road riding ... so I will bicycle more.

It also helps a lot to have a spouse involved ... especially in the 'eating right' part. She does a different workout she likes ... but we do swim laps together. We help each other thru the 'flat spots' ...

Getting the better half onboard with the diet is a BIG help. She's experimented a bunch and found plenty of ways to prepare on-diet stuff that the kids will eat. I'm about as NOT picky as one can get, so if she and the kids will eat it, I'm golden.

I thought I would resurrect this old thread to see if there was any interest. I am in the midst of my annual fitness/diet regime. What's a little different this year is I stayed out West longer and really got into the "groove" later. And I ate a heck of a lot of Mexican food in Arizona and Texas .. read I was fat, which I finally got my attention when a "friend" posted a photo on facebook. My first thought was "that jerk photoshopped my belly to look big". Nope .. that's the way it looked when I relaxed my abs.

First the "diet". Pretty well Atkins with some fruits and vegetables. Basically no bread and nothing white. My doc did a blood test on me a few years ago when I was 3 weeks into this diet and announced that I was a "natural carnivore" . Down 14 lbs. in 6 weeks.

Exercise. I've not been home enough to renew my pool membership and I am really missing swimming laps. So .. high intensity interval training for the most part. Upper body-day 1, Core-day 2, Lower-day 3, Yoga, bicycling, stretches, stair climber, balance board (one or two of these) - day 4, repeat.

What's different this year. Not much. I talked to my doc. He said basically 'you are fit but still overweight .. you carry a little extra weight in the worst place .. visceral fat (internal belly fat)'. So I've adjusted my target weight from my usual 170 to 165. Am 170 now.

The other is the simple fact that gains in strength get harder the older you get. (If you loose it you may not be able to regain it.) What saves me is I have a pretty active lifestyle. Plus I do exercise in fits and starts throughout the year. But I will never lift the weights I was doing 10 years ago. Ain't going to happen.

But I exercise and diet to be able to do the activity's I enjoy better and not so much to look good. Well ... mebbe some to look good ..

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I am trying to up my exercise game too. I have been skiing with friends who live in Breckenridge. Challenging to keep up with them.

My son is studying to become a physical therapist and he has been preaching "functional strength". One of his professors is a competitor on American Ninja Warrior and they have a course set up at school. He is not against weight training, but says that it has some drawbacks. And he is more of an advocate of the kinds of training they do for the Ninja competitions.

I am currently 5' 10" 165 lbs. I think optimal for me would be closer to 155 lbs. But where I am is not bad. My doctor says I should not go below 160 lbs.

It does not do you much good if you can bench press 300 lbs but cannot open a jar of pickles.

I like to run. But I take it easy. Do not run two days in a row. Take walk breaks. And do some hill repeat interval training to increase intensity without putting too much stress on joints.

OBX - I would be curious about your blood type. There is a book titled "The Right Diet for you Blood Type". My doctor and my sister (phd genetics) say there is no connection between blood type and optimal diet. However, my sister says some traits travel together so there could be correlations between blood type diet even if there is not causal relationship. Anyway, according to this book, O-type blood is the natural carnivore.

I have A-Type blood and my wife has O-type. I tend to prefer a greater quantity of vegetables compared to meat. My father was A-Type and my mother was O-type, however I think they had their optimal diets reversed. My father was a big meat eater and died of a stroke at 70. My mother was almost vegetarian and died at 79 of complications from injuries sustained in a car accident she was very frail.

I suspect my father would have been better off with less meat in his diet and mother could have done better if she ate a steak occasionally.

I think you have to learn your own body. Blood type may have nothing to do with it, but the right diet for one person is not necessarily the right diet for another.

Although, I think some principles are broadly beneficial to all. Minimizing refined sugar for example. And we should all eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, even natural carnivores.

Staying well hydrated is a biggy for me as well.

I also think that temporary diets are of little benefit. We have to think of permanent changes in eating. Lose weight slowly and permanently.
    Last edited by Sorg67; 06-05-2018 at 07:54 AM.

In no particular order ... I looked on my retired military ID and was mildly surprised no blood type stated. I still have my dog tags but they're back in Manteo .. but I'm sure I'm not O (son Billy is and gets frequent calls from the Red Cross .. to which he always responds) and I bet I'm type A.

Dunno nothing about skiing but I got a lot of hours on a stair climber getting ready for snowboarding. (You know all the cool people board .. My wife skis and I tell her to pretend she doesn't know me on the slopes .. )

I do a lot of body weight exercises in the desert .. but there are some muscles that are hard to hit without weights (or machines) and I really hate being without a pullup bar. I do both .. or actually all three. Body weight, dumbells and aerobic and if there is a machine handy I'll use it. Most of the weight lifters I know have incredibly powerful jar opening muscles from slinging around 100 lb dumbells. I find "shaking up" my routine from time to time keeps it intersting.

Spinal stenosis has put paid to running for me. Sometimes I can't even stand for long periods of time. But I can ride a motorcycle all day .. and since surfing is 80% sitting on a board, 15% paddling and only 5% standing .. it's a snap. My favorite training aerobic is swimming. And I may get back into cycling more. Some of the new bikes are very shiny .. and expensive .. so they must be better. ( I have a perfectly good road bike and a mountain bike .. but the road bike has a flat tire so it's no good anymore.).

Yeah .. there's no doubt that long term diet changes are the best. I have a friend who just told me he lost 14 lbs in one week. That's worrisome. I'm pretty happy dropping 2 lbs a week. And as I near my target, 1 lb. a week.

Incidentally, as I did my research on what my target weight should be .. I came across a research study that found that older folks who are slightly overweight lived longer than folks who were at their target weight .. by 13%. YMMV ...