Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It just FELL OVER!!

It just FELL OVER!!

They say, "If you can't pick it up yourself, you shouldn't ride it."

I say, "Screw them. I'm not sellin' it."

Well, at 3:30 yesterday afternoon it happened.

The Meat took a dive.

I was sitting on it, put the kickstand down, leaned it over and it fell. It was my fault. I'm thinking the kickstand wasn't all the way down when I leaned it. It also was not in gear, if it had been in gear I think I might have been able to save it.

I felt like such a 'tard. What's worse? I couldn't pick it up. I didn't realize what a large bike it was until it was on its side laughing at me. I know the whole, face away from it, squat, grab it the "right" way thing. But while grabbing the lower bar, I couldn't reach the back handle. It looked so pitiful laying there. I couldn't reach the gas shut offf either.

It layed there for quite a while until my friend came and picked it up (laughing his butt off). He got it started and said the exhaust was "smokey" and the throttle was "doggy". I'm not sure what he meant by doggy but it's up and running now.

Damage: scratches on the mirror, very, very minor dings on the fairing - not noticible, but mega scratches on the side cover. The lower fins are not very pretty but nothing I can't live with. My pride is damaged more than the bike.

Such a long post for something so un-important....sorry.

So, hooray for everyone who can pick up their own bike, but who here can't? Am I the only whimp out there??

C
    Last edited by Chrystal; 04-18-2005 at 11:27 AM.
    2008 Yamaha VStar 1100 Custom - "Fat Nasty"
    1982 Suzuki GS450L - "Chief Joseph"

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Paduan's Avatar
    During the incident, you may have been so upset with yourself that you became a bit disorganized.

Did you try to hurry through the procedure? Sometimes it is best to look away for a while, and regather your resources.

When I got the new Wing, I duct taped some rubber pads on the crash bars and practiced lifting the bike from its "down" position. Difficult at first (800 pounds), but after a couple of runs, it became pretty easy.

This may not be possible with bike that have no crash bars.....
    The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time congress meets.

2005 Goldwing GL1800 - Arctic Camo

Yeah, I was pretty upset and flustered. I guess I need to find a way to "practice" or maybe I just need to get to the gym more!

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! MarcS's Avatar

The Meat is broken in now.

Heavy duty $110 ugly race cover:
    http://www.ronayers.com/catalogs/pu/...id=65&type=159

If it's the generator cover with the fins on the left hand side, that's "only" $90 to replace from Ron Ayers:
    http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts....ing=14031-1373
    (don't sue me if that's the wrong part, I just used their little microfiche to find the part that sounds like what you're describing) . . . the fairing and padding will run you $250 to replace from Ron Ayers.

Don't sweat it. It's happened to most of us at least once.

Replace the severely scratched parts a.s.a.p. Then you'll forget all about the drop and get back to the good stuff without the constant reminder of that awful day.

Additionally, have you been to the Pink Ribbon Rides website? They have instructions with photos showing how even a very small person can pick up a large motorcycle. The site is oriented towards women riders, but the information could be useful to anyone.

Good luck,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS
    ....If it's the generator cover with the fins on the left hand side....
    Yep, it's that one. Thanks for the sites!!

Additionally, have you been to the Pink Ribbon Rides website? They have instructions with photos showing how even a very small person can pick up a large motorcycle. The site is oriented towards women riders, but the information could be useful to anyone.
    I'm gonna check that site out ASAP!

sanglant
    Welcome to the rat bike club!

Scratches on parts are just an excuse to have them polished; even the NRC's can be buffed up nicely, or you can run some already blingy Vortex stuff. Shop around and you'll find some good prices on the pieces you want if you're patient. Then again, I'm sure Larry can tell you that I am the last person that should be giving appearance advice....

You might also want to invest in a pair of frame sliders. They'll go a long way to protecting the cases and covers on the bike, and most of the plastics in a tip over, too. I'd also throw a careful eye over the control levers on that side of the bike for minor tweaking. A small bend or dent doesn't mean it's trash, but if unnoticed it can make a "it's just not quite right" feeling when you're riding. To me, that's more worrying than to know that I definately have a problem and need to ride around it.

im sure youve seen this already, right?

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/pickup.html

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! E-Man's Avatar
    In the beginning of the Ride Like a Pro DVD, the host (Motorman) demonstrates a couple of different methods to pick up your bike.

I'm sure it will probably happen to me too. At least there was no major damage

Contributor 8000 Posts! LDYAPXR's Avatar
    I can't pick up mine either and I have tried Skert's method over and over. It is not so easy on a sport bike. They get REALLY close to the ground when they are down. My sympathies because I have already put my new 500 down once lightly in the gravel with minor scratches to the mirror and that was it(whew) but there was no way I could pick it up at all.
    Darlene The Goddess