Thread: Mt. Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Contributor 2000 Posts! Calabash's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mt. Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Parkway

I had never been on the Parkway before and wanted to check out their camping up there. I made a reservation at the Mt. Pisgah Inn and figured I could check out the camping facilities once I got there. Here is a map of the area:

Here is their website link: http://www.pisgahinn.com/index.html

The weather was rainy the whole weekend so I drove in a cage and was glad I did. I went over the foothills parkway and took the road into Gatlinburg that I had planned on taking the group on the Deal at Deals gap IV but was closed due a landslide. Had a delicious lunch at Calhoun's again and got on hwy 441 to get over to the beginning of the Parkway.

The views are both breathtaking and I literally would get dizzy looking off the side of the road so I did not do that too many times... the day started out at 60 something degrees and was getting up into the 80's till we got in the mountains. By the time we got to the Inn it was in the 50's. The roads were like the foothills parkway and the Cherohala Skyway but the drop off the side of the roads were closer and the views were higher up. The last 20 miles at around 5000 feet was in a fog so thick I could not see 20 feet in front of me. I was afraid of running into a slower driver and scared of someone faster coming up on me. I put on my flashers and drove 20 miles an hour for the next hour, I thought about pulling over at the overlooks but was glad I didn't cause the fog was there in the morning as well, just not as thick.

Here are some pictures I took when the fog lifted:

When I pulled into Mt. Pisgah Inn I went on the porch which was supposed to show the mountain side view and took a picture of what it looked like:

So the view was not what I had hoped for and the camping did not open until next week so I did not find out anything about that but the ride was great (except for the last 20 miles) and the food at the restaurant was delicious. I would go back again when it's warmer and maybe make it a day trip eating at the restaurant and come home or camp across the road. The rooms were not worth the cost but I know the view is wonderful when the weather is good.
    "Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck." - George Carlin

Nice pics!

Should you get back there, highway 151 just off the parkway is wicked fun if you like really tight twisties. It's where I cut my teeth as an aspiring sport-rider.

Be safe,

J~
    Take care of new riders. For we were them, and they will be us. - Young - '06

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...p/SDBanner.jpg

http://www.skillzdays.com/

I stayed at that campground last summer on my way up to Vermont. Bill, I have been meaning to take you up to Hwy 276 or Parkway Road. Any of the roads leading up to the Parkway in that area are worth the trip. I haven't tried Hwy 151 yet but it looks like a lot of fun on the map!

A different trip but check these pictures from the same area, 2 weeks apart.

Contributor 2000 Posts! Calabash's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It must happen up there a lot!
    "Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck." - George Carlin