Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: motorcycle wave

motorcycle wave

hey friends i have seen a wave when i pass other other cycles with hand out to side- i hope that is a wave-never seen that before-i thought something was wrong with my bike-haha-so i am doing it back-is this a friendly bike wave?-don't want to be rude and not wave back

Unless there's crazy stuff going on, then its just a friendly wave. Most bikers I see like to put there arm out and either put two fingers out or a open palm.

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    There are different variations, but yup...you're a motorcycle rider now! There's a special wave that says, "Welcome to the ride!"

I mostly see the 2 fingers pointed down (keep the rubber side down), but I'm the dork who will give you a full-on wave.
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, Yamaha TTR250
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! SKnight's Avatar
    My ex took the BRC, and they taught her the various waves.

You got the sportbike "I'm too cool." wave. I fall in this group, but I'm actually far from cool.

BMW riders are too good to wave. If they do, it's not friendly, just acknowledging you.

Goldwing riders put their hand all the way in the air because they're so happy. And Missy, it's not dorky.

Metric cruiser riders raise their arm and put it right back depending on the bike their encountering. They want to be too good for you, but do still wave.

Scooter riders don't wave back, but instead give looks of disbelief wondering f you actually waved at them. Some then wave belatedly.

Harley riders wave with one finger, if they wave.

Newbies wave, they just don't take their hand off the bars, they raise their fingers.

Don't think less of me for this little bit of humor, I'm just repeating it. There's one on another forum that's funny about why people don't wave, I'll see if I can find it.
    Last edited by SKnight; 04-29-2007 at 09:41 PM.
    Stay safe, keep the shiny side up and never pass up a chance to go after that horizon.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! SKnight's Avatar
    Found it. Took less time than I thought.

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
    9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
    8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
    7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
    6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
    5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
    4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
    3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
    2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
    1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
    9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
    8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
    7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
    6. The espresso machine just finished.
    5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
    4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
    3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
    2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
    1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sport bikers Don't Wave:
    10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
    9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
    8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
    7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
    6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
    5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
    4. Their skin tight-Kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
    3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
    2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
    1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back
    10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
    9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
    8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgment.
    7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
    6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
    5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
    4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
    3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
    2. You haven't been properly introduced.
    1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.
    Stay safe, keep the shiny side up and never pass up a chance to go after that horizon.

Contributor 1000 Posts! mezzeta's Avatar
    Here in Oklahoma, there's seem to be a lot of waving of all type of bikes. The most common I've experienced, is the open palm with outstretched arm. The Harley riders, seem to prefer the open palm with outstretched arm down at a 45 deg angle. The Goldwing riders tend to give you the old fashioned wave with bent arm at 90 deg angle. About 95% of the bikes I encounter wave. The other odd 5% either look weird at you or just don't see you. I have noticed that bikes with a female rider, the wave tends to come from the passenger. I wave at everyone, scooters, Harleys, sport bikes, mo-peds pretty much anything with two wheels!

Today I saw for the very first time a antique Indian motorcycle with side car. It was OLD... kindof a red color with huge wheels. The guy riding was in shorts, tee shirt, no helmet etc... He just looked at me like I was crazy when I waved. Oh well, I tryed!
    2009 Suzuki V-Strom 650
    2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD en500 -gone-
    2005 Yamaha Virago xv250 - gone -
    1997 Suzuki GN125E - gone -
    Over 25,000 miles since 11/2006
    Tim

Just once, I wish we could get the entire quote in a single go. Maybe somebody could archive this so that we could link to the complete thing?

Top 10 reasons sportbikers don't wave:

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
    9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
    8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
    7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
    6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
    5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
    4. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits
    prevent any position other than fetal.
    3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank
    tops.
    2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
    1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why Dual Sport Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Vibration of knobby tires prevented the rider from taking his hand off the bars.
    9. MX style safety gear was too bright to see you wave.
    8. His front fender prevents you seeing him wave back.
    7. Was too busy configuring his GPS/Enduro Roll/FishFinder.
    6. His rain/wind/thorn/bug/bird proof thousand-dollar jacket won't allow it.
    5. Faceshield was too covered in mud to see.
    4. Doesn't recognize a wave in any language other than German.
    3. Too busy splitting lanes/filtering through traffic.
    2. One handed wheelies are not easy.
    1. On single-track trails you stop, not wave.

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
    9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
    8. Refuses to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
    7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
    6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
    5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
    4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
    3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
    2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
    1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
    9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
    8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
    7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
    6. The espresso machine just finished.
    5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
    4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
    3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
    2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height,programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
    1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
    9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
    8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
    7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
    6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
    5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
    4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
    3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
    2. You haven't been properly introduced.
    1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Top Ten Reasons Why UJM Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Something's buzzing around the tank.
    9. Do you hear than noise the valves are making?
    8. Trying to push start.
    7. Just felt something shimmy.
    6. Trying to isolate source of resonant shudder.
    5. Hypnotized by digital gear indicator
    4. Needs that hand to affect on-the-fly repairs
    3. Previous owner replaced #3 with a 2.5
    2.5. Mentally reviewing which parts use SAE and which use metric.
    2. Wait, there's a number 2? This bike never had a #2, did it? ****!
    1. Can't see your tank badge to determine what brand of bike you're on.

Why scooter riders don't wave back:

10. If you knew what a 10" wheel was like at 50mph, you wouldn't let go of the bars either.
    9. And risk droping the PBR 12-pack?
    8. Didn't see you - catching a few winks on the way home from an all night clambake.
    7. It's a mod vs. rocker thing.
    6. They just let the cloud of blue smoke trailing behind the scooter act as their "wave".
    5. Hey, if you want 140 mpg, you gotta keep your elbows and knees in and your hands down on the bars.
    4. The forty year old original hand grip on their vintage Vespa would fly apart if they let go of it.
    3. Yes, I saw you. No Gucci - no gesture.
    2. They're being filmed during a commercial shoot for a trendy lifestyle product nobody really needs.
    1. Why do motorcyclists keep pointing toward the ground with two fingers when they ride by? What is that? What does it mean?

Also:

The Brotherhood of the Road by Shalom Auslander

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community? a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan.

Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassle handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets? God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them.

They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys? I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way.

Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at those guys with the helmets with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet? Like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special?"
    NINJA EDIT

this is so that I can quickly and easily search the forum for this post and link/quote it in the future:

"floccinaucinihilipilificatrix"

(a word that I, dork that I am, knew long before the commercial made it popular!)

DOUBlE NINJA EDIT

MsPotatoPotatoHead....Name that Heinlein book! (yes, this is a direct challenge! Major prizes could (potentially) hang in the balance!! )
    Last edited by stoorat; 04-29-2007 at 11:03 PM.
    Stu's Facebook page
    '95 CB750 Nighthawk-Deceased
    '02 CB900F/919

stoorat{at}hotmail(dot)com

Flirting With The Redline Shibby's Avatar
    I wave to any bike when I'm riding unless I'm in a turn where I don't feel comfortable taking my hand off the bars....
    2000 HD Softail Standard
    2004 HD VRSCB

In answer to the original query:
    Yes, this is the motorcycle wave.
    It's just an acknowledgement, one rider to another: We're out here having more fun than the cagers -- and taking a bigger risk.

A popular common wave is using to fingers to point at the ground, commonly understood to mean "keep the rubber side down" (or, keep your two wheels on the road, not pointing upward).
    “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.”
    - William Gibson, 'Neuromancer' author

Flirting With The Redline Ironfish653's Avatar
    I usually wave to any bike under appropriate traffic/road conditions.

I usually get a return wave, too, except from the really serious MC types I sometimes come across in the farther reaches.
    I even get waves from the BMW crowd. I think it's because I ride a V-Strom with hard bags. They think I'm one of them....

[Yoda] sneaky the Collective is, yes.. [/Yoda]
    2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650
    Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult