Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Women rider and a heavy bike

Women rider and a heavy bike

Hi,

I have been riding for a few years, started on a 250, moved up to a 600 and now own a 750. I ride okay, I have developed my skills in cornering and comfortable in my riding ability overall. But I am having problems with the weight of my motorcycle. It is approx 200kg wet, It has a low seat height and I can flat foot on the ground, but I still having problems backing up the bike if there is a slight hill. I am a small women 50kg. I love my motorcycle, I don't want to sell it, it is perfect in size and power, but I am finding it hard to push it around at a standstill. The reality is, it is too heavy for me. How do other riders manage heavy bikes. Some of the big cruisers are very heavy. Any tips is appreciated.

Shauna.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! mudarra's Avatar
    Paging Gerry (Checnh53)...... Paging Gerry.....Please report to this post......

Meet Gerry, another little woman riding a big bike.

Never....and I mean NEVER, park a motorcycle pointed downhill. Always park uphill. This will eliminate having to walk backwards up hill.
    I can't flat foot my bike, so I have to be extra vigilant where I park it, so that I can get it out easily.
    As for moving the bike, it will get easier as your balance and riding skills improve. I used to hate having to push the bike around in the garage, now its second nature.
    Never be embarrassed to ask for help to move your bike. Even a big guy (yet short) like myself has had to get help moving in and out of tough parking spaces.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
    Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

Hi Shauna...

I'm not being a smart @$$ but... don't push it.

My Neice has a Harley Low Rider, and for her the idea is to find a way to avoid pushing it. It works for her...

Courage is not the absence of fear... It's the presence of fear, and the will to do it anyway.

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! Logan's Avatar
    The bike is 4 times your weight.

A 200lb guy on a goldwing has the exact same ratio.

My concours is heavy, & topheavy, and there is no excess length to my legs. To do any significant jockeying it around, I tiptoe & use the strength of my legs (your thigh muscles are your most powerful muscles)

Learn good friction point control & let the bike ease you forward, saving your strength if needed to move back.

Try to avoid stopping anywhere you need to back up. Some bikes can be more easily moved if you're standing next to it & pushing it.

If you can handle it, you can try tilting the bike a bit to the left or right so you are adding more weight to one side, but also making the bike "shorter"
    2004 Moto Guzzi California EV Touring,
    2001 BMW F650GSa,

Past Rides: 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000, 1974 Honda CB450, 1966 Yamaha 305, 1971 Honda CL100

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    Unlike you, I'm not a small woman on a big bike, but I do have a big bike. LOL Like Logan, I have a Concours, and I learned the hard way to always park so I can ride out of somewhere. Sometimes it means I have to park a little farther away from things, but I'm ok with that.

I can flatfoot the Connie, but our garage floor is really slippery, so I have issues moving the bike around in there sometimes. And backing it up a hill...fogeddaboutit. I do find that my foot placement (more in front of the pegs than outside of the pegs) helps me gain leverage. Dont know if that is helpful or not on a cruiser - but maybe try getting leverage from different footing positions.

Like the others said, the biggest thing would be to plan ahead so that you dont have to push it around. That's why we have a motor!

CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Hi Shauna-

I agree- Don't push it.

I offered to put my husband's V-Star Silverado 1100 up for him the other night as he was in a hurry to leave for an emergency at work- he told me to leave it, as pushing it out of the grass, uphill (our driveway inclines) and into the garage was going to be difficult.

I simply got on the bike and drove it into the garage.

He laughed- because he CAN move it around fairly easily, it didn't cross his mind to drive it in.

Because I CAN'T move it easily, I hadn't considered pushing it in!

Just substitute brain muscle for physical muscle and you'll be fine. Most of the time, we don't have to push a bike around- we just do because it's what we see done.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! aprilmaybe's Avatar
    I'm always very aware or how I'm parking or stopped. Why push it uphill if I don't have to? In cases where I need to move the bike around, I've found it to be easier to move it while I'm off it. I've stood next to the bike and pulled it backwards. That might be more awkward on a low cruiser though. I can also spin the bike if I need to.
    09 Triumph Bonneville - work perk / 04 Ducati Monster - street / 01 Suzuki SV650 - track / 08 Aprilia Tuono - his

SoCal riders check out -- www.socal-letsride.com
    Pink Cars and Stars - Tumlr

Thanks for the advice. I usually park the bike uphill not downhill, I learnt that lesson early in my riding adventures. Today was different, I pushed the bike forward onto my driveway, and the bike wouldn't start... flat battery. I tried to push the bike backwards into my garage and the driveway has a slight incline and I couldn't move it back when I was sitting on the bike. My partner helped me push the bike back into the garage, he made it look easy I need to practice more.

Shauna

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts!
    As others have said... practice your slow-speed skills and let the bike move itself... 'tis much easier

I have a 450lb (about 200kg) bike, and I weigh around 140kg and I can squat around 250kg... and I don't like backing my bike up LOL. It always feels awkward. So I tend to park where I don't have to, or at the very least, I'll back it into the spot, but only after executing a slow-speed turn so close to the spot that I only have to back up about 3-4 feet, and then I can ride out of the spot.
    Bowsniper
    Prosper, TX
    2006 Suzuki Burgman 400 "Marie"

"Oh I am tired of brick and stone, the heart of me is sick.
    For windy green, unquiet sea, the realm of Moby Dick"
    --John Masefield "A Wanderer's Song"

Welcome Shauna! I'm a lady rider with a heavy bike (800 plus pounds with my accessories) but I'm not a petite lady by any means. (5'7") I do work out and that keeps me strong and able to move my heavy cruiser around. I started on an ACE that was a fairly heavy bike also (550) so I learned to handle that one fairly easily before I moved on to my current ride. I learned fairly quickly NEVER park forward if there is even a slight incline. I've learned to manuver the bike fairly easily and the low seat height helps tremendously. I RARELY push it around as it's much easier to use the motor to do all the work. You'll learn to do what you need to do so your not wrestling your bike around too much. Good luck!
    Last edited by Mer; 03-24-2007 at 07:56 AM.

2009 BMW F650GS TwinFirefly Sold
    2005 Honda VTX 1300R - Sold
    2002 Honda ACE - Sold