Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista Disaster

Vista Disaster

Horrible is the only way I can describe it. Nothing seems to work in Vista. Drivers on CD for new HP printer Photosmart 5158, do not work on new HP lap-top computer with Vista, software of all sorts do not work, can't load etc. Beautiful computer, great screen 17 inch bright view, custom ordered, just can't run anything. Yipes, I am back to the old desktop I hoped to replace. Suddenly my XP clunker is looking mighty good.

Learning the new ins and outs of Vista is one issue in it self, but it just won't accept many basic programs that should be easy to just run and set up. Quicken 2006 loaded OK but can't upgrade to the new 2007 version. MSN money online can't load due to some sort of conflicts with IE 7 and Vista. And I just started. Wow it's scary. No wonder people are switching to the MAC. My daughter is sitting there saying what's the problem, my MAC just started up and everything runs fine. Why is it taking hours just to load some software?

Abandon hope all ye who enter here!

I will log back in on my "old" XP computer to answer any questions you might have. Understand I am NOT any sort of computer whiz just know enough to get in trouble and I'm in trouble.
    Richard rider-77!
    Yamaha 2012 Road Star Silverado "S" with 9,200 miles SOLD the 2009 with 75,000 miles

President [for life] Wrinkle Riders. Member Sons of Angioplasty. Fringe member of a Splinter Group. The Ride is the Destination.

"A gentleman is someone that knows how to play a banjo, but doesn't"

Yup same problems when XP was released. In 6 months it'll start to pan out. I don't plan on switching for another year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by bignick73 View Post
    Yup same problems when XP was released. In 6 months it'll start to pan out. I don't plan on switching for another year or so.
    HOPE THE DESKTOP HOLDS OUT FOR THE NEXT 6-9 MONTHS
    Richard rider-77!
    Yamaha 2012 Road Star Silverado "S" with 9,200 miles SOLD the 2009 with 75,000 miles

President [for life] Wrinkle Riders. Member Sons of Angioplasty. Fringe member of a Splinter Group. The Ride is the Destination.

If you have a copy of XP you can install it on your new one. Not a hard thing to do just use the same key as the desktop

If you have a copy of XP you can install it on your new one. Not a hard thing to do just use the same key as the desktop
    I have an XP disk but it is specific for the Dell desktop. Must code it with number stamped on the Dell case in order to activate it. It is the re-install disk I got from Dell due to problems with the XP operating sys, which is why I bought the new HP w/Vista. Life is cruel.
    Richard rider-77!

are you sure its keyed to the case? which number does it use? That sounds odd unless its the Windows XP cd key (sticker that says Windows XP on it).

Ack! Sorry to hear it Richard. And, yep, those sorts of problems will persist for the next 6-12 months while 3rd party vendors get up to speed--I understand that Nvidea is facing a class action lawsuit due to their failing to meet promises that their display drivers would be compatible.
    Stu's Facebook page
    '95 CB750 Nighthawk-Deceased
    '02 CB900F/919

stoorat{at}hotmail(dot)com

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... LoDownSinner's Avatar
    are you sure its keyed to the case? which number does it use? That sounds odd unless its the Windows XP cd key (sticker that says Windows XP on it).
    OEM version.

I don't think it will like being activated on two machines at the same time, if it will even install on another brand.

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    put the whiffer in the dilly

Flirting With The Redline 5000 Posts! Big Daddy C's Avatar
    I can believe it's Peter Pan Peanut Butter
    BDC

Head Wanker and Nipple Patrol Founding Father.
    #1 Member of M.I.T.G.C.

1995 Honda PC800 - SOLD!
    1999 Honda CB250 - SOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by LoDownSinner View Post
    OEM version.

I don't think it will like being activated on two machines at the same time, if it will even install on another brand.

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

Yes it can and yes it will. We used to keep dell cds around the shop since they didn't require activation via the phone, and we had lots of dells that came through. Well one day I wasn't paying attention and stuck a dell cd in a compaq. Installed fine just had some dell stuff on it.

My biggest concern would be to make the vista restore disks for the HP so you can reinstall Vista once it becomes available. Also have another computer on the internet and a thumb drive or something so you can download any needed drivers for the laptop. Also some of those driver installs on the new HPs can be tricky.