Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: honda aero 750 vs suzuki boulevard 800

To lisamc:

Not sure what you did, but I was in the same situation. I had my Virago 535 for almost a year. Great bike to move "up" to from the 125's in MSF - not that much heavier. But...not real comfortable cruising above 55 or so.

So...I wanted either a Honda Shadow Aero 750 or Suzuki Boulevard C50. I test sat both, found the C50 more comfortable. I was surprised that I didn't find the extra weight that bad on either one.

I test drove both and found the Suzuki to be a bit more powerful and rode better. The Honda seemed to have a higher build quality (metal fenders, for one).

Dealer had a new '06 C50. I got $1,700 trade in for the Virago (paid $1,200), a free windshield, a $400 discount and no prep fee. Only negative for me is that it's black (prefer colors). Dealer wasn't as willing to offer as good a deal on a lower priced Shadow.

After three days of proud ownership, I love this bike!
    2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! azpenguin's Avatar
    Number one concern will be: Which bike fits you better and is more comfortable? The horsepower jump isn't going to be that dramatic, and there's not going to be a ton of difference riding-wise between the bikes. Go for whatever fits you best.

Oh, and welcome aboard!
    '02 Shadow ACE 750 - "Fats"
    '01 Nighthawk 250 - "Piglet"
    46,000 miles since October '03

Quote Originally Posted by LoDownSinner View Post
    So, I'm obviously incorrect.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! E-Man's Avatar
    One thing to consider (and this is for shopping purposes), if you are looking at all cruisers in that range, check out a Harley Sportster also. Checking some prices, there really isn't much difference when buying new as long as you are able to pay MSRP at a Harley dealer.

Plus, you get a 2 year warranty standard with Harley. The newer lines are rock solid and now fuel injected.

Not to say that the Boulevard and Aero aren't nice bikes, but many people rule HD out right off the bat since they think that they are way more expensive.

Harley has made the Sporty (883 at least) very competitive with other bikes in that range with their thinking (hoping) that you stay with them and upgrade to the expensive stuff in the future.

Thing is, now the Sporty is actually a very nice bike. Minimal problems, comfortable, and priced right.

Contributor We've stopped counting... MsPotatoPotatoHead's Avatar
    I started on a Virago 535 also. Of all the bikes discussed, I have had both a Suzuki S-50 (formerly the Intruder 800) and a Sportster. I've sat on all of them, and some feel better than others. Feeling "right" while sitting on them is important, because if they feel awkward to you, it's only going to get worse going down the road. Hopefully you'll be able to test ride anything you're seriously contemplating buying.

I loved everything about my Intruder except the stock seat and the lack of top-end grunt. Otherwise, it was a fast, comfortable (ergos) bike and easily would run all day at 70 (unlike the Virago 535 which, at this altitude, had some problems with going up long hills at 60+MPH). But the Sportster - ah, there is a versatile bike! Not so heavy it is unmanageable (my 2004 was about 555 lbs), but heavy enough to feel solid and not get blown around by semis on the highway. And FAST! But if you decide on a Sportster, keep it 2004 and later - before that they had rigid-mounted motors and would shake you to death. The engines are rubber-mounted now, and still shake some at idle and low RPMs, but once you get the revs up, they smooth right out and allow day-long comfort.

I've ridden both -- went from a 450 Rebel to the Suzuki Volusia (C50), which I loved. I got rear ended by a distracted cager last year, totalled the bike and now I have the Shadow. I love the Shadow too, but they do ride differently. A few things are noticeable. The Suzuki is longer front to back and doesn't corner as sharply or easily as the Honda. At the same time, I thought the Suzuki generally felt smoother during the ride and was a more comfortable riding position for me.

You might like either, so I'll chime in with the others and say ride them to see what you like. Both are really nice bikes, but its really matter of individual preference.

Good luck and have fun!
    Kt
    2003 Honda Shadow Spirit

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! NoCo Gal's Avatar
    While I was unable to test ride either, I test sat on both. The Aero fit my inseam better, which was a huge plus for me as a beginner rider. It made it seem lighter and more manageable.

Essentially you're comparing apples v. apples, with the exception of fuel injection (Boulevard). If you live anywhere in the higher elevations, then the FI would be a huge plus.
    ~Teri

Quote Originally Posted by CodeInVB View Post
    I tried this "kissing the mirror" technique as I was turning onto an on-ramp today. I was surprised at how big of a difference just a little bit of movement made, even on a cruiser. Thanks for the advice...maybe it's time for me to go back for the next rider course.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! E-Man's Avatar
    Another option for FI is the Kawasaki Vulcan series. Belt drive on those too.

My personal fav is the Vulcan 900 Custom, but the Classic gets excellent reviews also.

Here's a shot of the 900 Custom:

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have to say, this is becoming a very active ressurected thread considering the original poster isn't participating...
    Sent from your mom's phone
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity.

http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    They're far more valuable than you realize...

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    I have to say, this is becoming a very active ressurected thread considering the original poster isn't participating...
    Well as I post at this hour... there are 33 members and 97 "guests" (read lurkers) on here. So we shouldn't forget that whatever info we put out might be valuable to the lurkers.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Flirting With The Redline carpe_diem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    A pre-99 Shadow VLX or a chain driven 750 ACE or Spirit will be a small step up in peformance, their chain drives offset any additional weight so performance gains will be slightly noticeable. Newer renditions of both sizes (99+ VLX and Aero/new Spirit) will probably be right in league with the 535 Virago...all of them are single carb engines (less power then their earlier dual carb designs) and the shaft drive further slows the 750 line down even more (to the point that the older dual carb 600cc VLX will outperform them), so don't expect much in the way of performance improvements.
    Actually, I am looking at the Spirit 750 DC (chain drive) owners manual right now, and it is a dual carb setup. The ACE/Aero 750, I believe is a single carb setup.

That being said, I haven't ridden them back to back yet, but I believe the Vulcan 800 has a bit more getup and go than the Spirit 750. (We have both at our house). Both are still a heck of a good bike.
    Ninja 250 - no mods, no stickers .... No more
    SV-650 Nekkid - Blue - sold to a fellow BB'r
    2002 Honda Shadow Spirit - Cruising in Style
    2006 Kawasaki ZZR-600 - Silver - Traded in for:
    2006 Yamaha FZ1 - Shift Red
    w/heated grips, Gel Seat, Zumo,
    Givi V35's with SW-Motech Quick Lock Carriers,
    FCE, SV650 Risers, Graves FE & Yamaha Chin Cowl
    ---- Still waiting to install SS brake lines and air horn
    **** I have a Farkle Problem ****