PDA

View Full Version : Left side, right side?

Paduan
03-12-2005, 11:11 PM
So, why do CHiPs mount their motorcycles from the right (starboard) side?

Mer
03-12-2005, 11:18 PM
I've wondered the same thing myself. My theory is that if they pull off the road on the right they would mount from the right because it is the side away from traffic, thus safer. (keeping their bikes between them and traffic....farther from traffic) I don't know......lol

Paduan
03-12-2005, 11:42 PM
I've wondered the same thing myself. My theory is that if they pull off the road on the right they would mount from the right because it is the side away from traffic, thus safer. (keeping their bikes between them and traffic....farther from traffic) I don't know......lol

I guess this is going to be a short thread. Your theory is correct. It is a CHiP standard operational policy, and they can get in a heap of trouble if caught mounting from the left.

We should keep the rational in mind when along side the road.....

prester_john
03-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Q: Why do we mount from the left?

A: Because most folks are right handed.

What does that have to do with it? Well, if you're a right handed cavalry soldier, you wear your sword on the left. If you wear your sword on the left, it's difficult to mount a horse from the right. So we've trained horses and riders to mount from the left since, well, since the stirrup was invented. Bicycles were introduced into a horse riding world (1880's), so bicycles were naturally designed to be mounted from the left (kick stand on the left, gears on the right). And of course, historically, motorcycles are just bicycles with motors!

Scoot safe,
Tom

x_cuesme
03-13-2005, 03:56 PM
The only thing I know is I used to ride horses...

And mounting from the right just doesn't seem RIGHT.

Of course, I had to learn when riding pillion that kicking over the sissy bar to mount can be disasterous with luggage piled high...

Smitty
03-14-2005, 02:32 AM
Forgetting the CHiPs & their present rules. Previously everyone mounted from the left side because it was used in horse riding & that the kickstarter was on the right.

So you would use the right foot to sweep the prop-stand out of way & do all to get the bike ready like setting the choke, the spark, to tickling the carb & then come down hard with one's right boot to put the bike into running after basically 3-4 kicks. Now with the left foot still on the ground & holding the bike up it was simply put your right foot on the footrest, slip it over or under the gear-change lever (depending upon the shitting pattern of your bike), into first gear & with a light push you were off & riding.

Besides those that are not TALL will also find that it is easier to throw their right leg over the lower part of the saddle SINCE the bike is leaned to the left OR sweep the prop stand up & then throw one's right leg over the saddle & bike.

xybe
03-14-2005, 11:57 AM
OK, How about this for an explanation on why we should not mount/dismount like CHPs:
Motorcycle Officers Are Not The Best Example (http://www.msgroup.org/TIP011.html)
(from the Master Strategy Group tips site (http://www.msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp))

From The Site:

The answer to these apparently less safe practices of our motorcycle officers is that they have different risks to manage than we street riders do. They do not want to lose visual contact with a suspect for the brief time it takes to remove a full-face helmet (nor do they want to occupy both hands taking a helmet off.) They must often leave their bikes FAST and a microphone/speaker cord going to their helmets could cost them their lives if they had to deal with them at a vulnerable time. They tend to work busy freeways and mount/dismount their bikes frequently at the side of the road. (And, of course, they mount and dismount on the right to put their bikes between themselves and a possible bullet from the driver of the car in front of them.)

xgambit
03-14-2005, 02:04 PM
thye should just equip the cop bikes with right side kick stands.

fantasma
03-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Also you can grab the brake with your right hand as you swing your leg over.

Paduan
03-17-2005, 04:51 PM
We were talking about this issue at work, and someone brought up another point.

Maybe a safty issue?

If, while mounting from the left, the bike falls, you could end up with a serious leg injury. Bike falls against left leg while all your weight is balanced on it. Ouch!

If, while mounting from the right, the bike falls, you end up sitting on the bike. Maybe a hot spot, but likely nothing crushed.

It is difficult to break from tradition....

Smitty
03-17-2005, 05:29 PM
I really do not go along with your thinking Ishido for mouting a bike from left or right would be the same unless you are referring to sweeping the footrest away before getting on AND in many cases that is done, by so many once they are mounted on the bike.

You are right fantasma that when monting from the left side you automatically grip the front brake & know that is so commonly done.

Anyway just some crazy thoughts from fellow riders & who cares how one mounts a bike as long as he/she rides it sensibly & enjoys it for it is a good sport/hobby.

By the way ALL Observed Trials comp bikes use to be, & probably still are, with a prop stand on the RIGHT. Reason was when there were 2 or 8 competitors ahead of you, waiting their turn to tackle the section we would flick down the prop stand & dismount the bike, usually go up to see what changes were coming about the section like dry rock now covered with water & so slippery to some better wiggles through the rocks then you might have looked upon when first walking over the sections.

So back to the bike & being on the left side it was simply put the light Trials iron to the left or upright & walk it a bit father forward------in no way would the prop stand be hitting the rocks or dirt as it was on the right. LOL

Paduan
03-17-2005, 06:01 PM
If you would look at the previous, it said "someone brought up a point".

I have no strong opinions one way or the other. The initial thread was really more to see how many out there were old enough to remember the TV series "CHiPs".

If is has initiated some thought about safety, so much the better. When parked along the edge of the roadway, I mount from the right, employing the CHiPs "protection" procedure. I have been struck by a car once, (while working on an accident as a Paramedic) and care not to repeat that experience.

Why would anyone want to sweep away the side stand before mounting, unless it is supposed to look cool?

My bike is heavy, so I like to leave it on the sidestand until I am fully astraddle and ready to accept the weight. The bike just feels a lot more manageable with both feet firmly on the ground. I have seen too many instances of riders losing balance and control of the bike while swinging over. Of course, my upper body is strong enough to pull the bike up to vertical.

That should start a whole new "discussion"...