PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki G-Strider

MaxiScoot
03-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Has anyone else seen this baby? G-Strider (http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/2004/Suzuki/G-Strider/Intro.htm) It's a motorcycle! NO! It's a scoot!!!

Someone on another forum mentioned it, so I looked it up. Very cool!

Wolfie
03-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Or you might drool over the Honda Griffon, concept scoot.
http://world.honda.com/Tokyo2003/motor/concept/
yumm.

mark.

prester_john
03-10-2005, 10:02 PM
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Call it what you will, but....

In the mid-1930's, the Salsbury Scooter company of the USA wrote what I consider THE definition of a motorscooter, to wit: A motorscooter is a motorcycle with several of the following design elements: 1) a step thru frame 2) body work that encloses the engine and drive train and shields the rider from the road and machinery 3) an engine that sits below or behind the rider 4) small wheels 5) an automatic transmission or a transmission that is designed to be convenient to shift.

My own defintion: if there is a place on the forward portion of the motorcycle lower than the saddle, that's a step thru. If the saddle is the lowest spot, there is not a step thru.

Now, both these machines are hybrids after a fashion, but the Honda Griffin shows a strong scooter influence, with every feature (step thru style frame, shielding body work, low & rear engnine and auto tranny) but the small wheels - I'd call the Griffin a scooter. The Suzuki G-Strider has an automatic transmission but no step thru, only a half fairing and floorboards rather than a full rider shield, a forward engine and motorbike sized wheels, and that's not enough for me to call the G-Strider a scooter.

Scoot safe,
Tom

Fun fact: the most popular motorcycle of all time, the Honda Cub (+40,000,000 built to date) is a hybrid motorbike/motorscooter design.

x_cuesme
03-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Well, H took one look at the G-Strider and said:

"Well, there you go- someone designed it. An automatic with big tires that ought to handle like a sport bike- Your dream come true.

Problem is I've never RIDDEN a sport bike- But I want to try one! :wiggleit:

MarcS
03-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Hrm, do you really think you'll be able to see behind you with those mirrors? Looks like you'd just get a good look at your gloves/elbows . . .

Looks kinda like the bike out of Akira. Or maybe something that will transform into a suit of armor . . .

Sparky
03-11-2005, 07:39 AM
I saw the rival Honda Griffon design at the motorcycle show. Quite futuristic looking, and more in line with my tastes than the G-Strider. Still, you have to wonder what the boys in the design department were on when they thought up that and the Big Ruckus...

christhisguy
03-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Think that elsewhere-mention may have been mine... ;-)

I'm with P_J-- the G-Strider isn't a scooter, more just a kewl concept bike with an auto tranny. I really hope Suzuki considers taking something similar to production someday.

MarcS- they're not mirrors, they're LCD screens fed by rear-facing cameras! Other swank includes center-hub steering and "electrically adjustable handlebars, windscreen, rider's seat, footrests, and backrests for both rider and passenger".
:cool: :rockon: :fatyo:

MarcS
03-11-2005, 07:58 PM
MarcS- they're not mirrors, they're LCD screens fed by rear-facing cameras! Other swank includes center-hub steering and "electrically adjustable handlebars, windscreen, rider's seat, footrests, and backrests for both rider and passenger".
:cool: :rockon: :fatyo:

Wow, I was caught up in the pictures that I didn't notice the words :wiggleit: I bet it handles like a pig, though.

x_cuesme
03-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Be nice to get to ride some of these concept bikes and see how they do handle- Must admit, all the electronics don't interest me and the 'look' isn't as appealing as the Griffon-

I'd really like to see a Griffon- Does anyone know if they are ever going to get past the 'prototype' stage? Ought to be one we see in the states if it does- it's a big, expensive one!

prester_john
03-11-2005, 10:59 PM
I'd really like to see a Griffon- Does anyone know if they are ever going to get past the 'prototype' stage?
Honda refered to it as "near production ready" a year and a half ago - FWIW.

Tom

RockyMtnRoadRash
03-15-2005, 09:36 PM
I'd buy the G-strider in a heartbeat, but it'd have to be red.