PDA

View Full Version : Visited some dealers...just for the heck of it!

BCinMD
08-23-2006, 04:51 PM
*Note - If you're a member of the MCUSA forums, I also posted this over there - just thought you all here at BBO would be interested in this as well...

I had some free time yesterday so I went over to my local Yama-Kawa-Suzi-KTM dealer to sit on some bikes. As I mentioned here a several days ago, I have no intention of buying right now, but what better way to kill an hour, right?

Here are my impressions (keeping in mind that I am 5'8" with about 29" inseam and pretty lean at 150). I sat on all different kinds of bikes...

1) Suzuki V-Strom 650 (aka the "weeStrom") - Wee? Not for me! This bike seemed huge to me...I could barely get both tip toes on the showroom floor. Uh...next....

2) Suzuki SV650 - this fit much better - much more comfortable seat height, and a nice manageable feel in terms of weight

3) Kawasaki Ninja 250 - SWEET! Loved the compact dimensions and overall feel

4) Suzuki DR200SE dual sport - very nice - really felt like this would a great fun bike to tool around on - too bad I don't know of any legal fire service or forest roads around here...

5) Kawasaki Ninja 500R - the dealer has a 2003 model with 1500 miles on it. I rode my brother in law's 06 a couple months ago, and it felt great to me (this bike is on the top of my list as my first bike, whenever I finally decide to buy)

6) Kawasaki KLR650 - one look at the height of this thing and I didn't even attempt to swing a leg - just too intimidating!

7) Suzuki S40 - the only cruiser I sat on...and it was right next to the GZ250 that I rode in my BRC - they look very similar in dimension, but somehow I felt way more comfy on the S40...maybe the straight across drag bars? If I were cruiser-inclined, the S40 would certainly my top choice. Just a very comfortable motorcycle.

Didn't sit on any KTMs...oh well.

Today, I visited Speed's Cycle - my local center of Italian motorcycle goodness that is just 15 minutes from my house. I sat on just a few of the bikes he had on display - I didn't try any of the supersports since they don't really interest me.

Here are my opinions:

1) Duc Multistrada 620 - this bike was way more comfortable to me than the V-Strom 650 - I was able to get both feet on the ground, and the reach to the bars seemed much less of stretch (in fact,at first it almost felt a little too close - but after sitting for a few minutes, I realized that it would be very comfortable position).

2) Duc Monster 695 (and 620) - the little Monster felt really great to me - obviously a more sporty ergo than the MS - lower bars, and farther away - but not uncomfortable at all. It felt much like the riding position on the Ninja 500R - and I was instantly comfortable. Light weight and I was able to flat foot the bike without trouble. If I really wanted to ride a Duc, this would be the bike I would buy.

3) Moto Guzzi Griso - THIS BIKE IS DROP DEAD SEXY and totally drool worthy (at least IMHO). What an impressive motorcycle - it's a heavy, wide bike - but is was easy for me to stand it upright. He had two - a red and a black, the latter was already sold (and had some nice soft side bags installed.) Just an awesome machine.

4) Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 - I only sat this one because he didn't have a 750 (which is coming in tomorrow, and I plan to head back over to check that out). This one felt too big for me to feel comfortable -the fuel tank especially seemed huge.

This is insanely fun...and also a bit frustrating!! I WANT a bike badly, but I know that now is now the right time. It will be that much sweeter when I finally am able to get a bike (even if it won't be one of these sweet new bikes I've been drooling over...)

subvetSSN606
08-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Good luck in having "the right time" get here soon.

Until then it's a bit like going to a strip bar instead of a brothel, all revved up with no place to go.... but it's still fun! ;)

Tom