PDA

View Full Version : New Bike

Ripper00
05-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Well, my search for my "new" bike is over :thumbsup: . I was looking for a used GS 500 or used SV, unfortunately, there were no used ones in my area. I was resigned to buy a new bike when one of the local dealers called me and told me he had a used bike he wanted to show me a 1997 Suziki Bandit 600. Looked at it, even rode it in the parking lot, but wanted to do some research first (didn't know much about the bike).

After a day and a half of research I decided to get it (price was good too vs. new). I arrived at the dealer 30 minutes after they sold the bike. A little depressed, I went home and went on line reading about the bike I almost bought. While online, I stumbled across a 2000 Bandit for sale. Made the call and the next day, went to look at it. The bike was in mint condition, 1600 miles and I got the price lower than what the dealer wanted. Unfortunately, the bike was 300 miles away. To make a long story short, I bought the bike and had it shipped. It scheduled to arrive early next week. :banana:

I know it's not the best starter bike, but it meets my needs (as a hi-way commuter and price). I'm comfortable with my choice and look forward to improving my skills. Since completing the MSF course I really want to get started.

Will post pictures once it arrives. Thanks for all the advice and information. I look forward to continuing my rider education with this forum.:bars:

MikeInSLC
05-26-2006, 10:51 PM
I had one of those...an 01...great bike. In fact I'll see my old Bandit tomorrow morning when it's new owner sets out with us on a 3 day ride.

Congrats!

OBX-RIDER
05-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Nice bike. At least one motorcycle mag had the 2000 as "vastly improved" over previous years. In my mind a sport-standard capable of everything from trackdays to touring...

Yes, it's off the upper scale of "beginner bikes". I see one of your hobbies is flying. Treat it like you just moved from a Cessna 150 to a Beech Bonanza: more capabilities, more opportunities to become a 'smoking hole'. Exercise self control and judgement and you should be fine. Keep learning, ride only when you feel good enough to go flying. Enjoy...

MadMaxmlin
05-27-2006, 06:53 AM
Nice bike. At least one motorcycle mag had the 2000 as "vastly improved" over previous years. In my mind a sport-standard capable of everything from trackdays to touring...

Yes, it's off the upper scale of "beginner bikes". I see one of your hobbies is flying. Treat it like you just moved from a Cessna 150 to a Beech Bonanza: more capabilities, more opportunities to become a 'smoking hole'. Exercise self control and judgement and you should be fine. Keep learning, ride only when you feel good enough to go flying. Enjoy...

Well said! :thumbsup:

If I might add my 2 cents: in a nutshell, Don't Rush. Rushing is the first step in crashing.

And...

There are old pilots (motorcyclists) and there are bold pilots (motorcyclists) but there are no old, bold pilots (motorcyclists).

Got any pictures of the bike?

asp125
05-27-2006, 07:28 PM
You know the rules here. It doesn't exist without pics. ;) Congrats on the new (to you) bike.