PDA

View Full Version : Reminders...

OBX-RIDER
05-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Put new tires on the gixxer today and took a piece of masking tape and with a red magic marker wrote NT(new tires) and the mileage and stuck it onto the face of speedometer. I've never dropped my bike because of slippery new tires but have known many who have and have come close myself. It wasn't that we didn't know better, it's just that we momentarily forgot.

I also masking tape a reminder on my bike when I get part way through a reassembly with something like torque wrenching left to go and take a meal break. And yes, I did forget this once. I noticed a pinch bolt half backed out on a trackday where I was regularly hitting 150+ down the straight. At the last minute I had changed a front tire and in the confusion and hurry failed to retorque the front wheel... little more than finger tight! The thought of loosing that front axle at 150...cheeezzz!

And since my sons are wont to ride my bikes I masking tape problems or discrepancies on my bikes. My VFR800 key hole is currently taped saying 'needs brake pads DO NOT RIDE' , the 'or get a beating is implied and understood'

Just a minor thing that helps keep me out of trouble...

remy_marathe
05-17-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm just picturing an entire bike covered in masking tape with various warnings... "Tires 12,233....Oil 9,500...Check tire pressure....watch for nails....turn signals wonky....check tach cbl vibrates loose...leaking!!! here --> fix soon...not load-bearing plastic use pegs you bastards...sidestand 9,810..._synthetic_ or do not chng...noone rides till you find my spare...

Now that I've noticed how many bikes you have, I can see why you've adopted this method!

Bowsniper
05-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Paduan will probably come in here and say you probably had to put masking tape on the dash of the helo saying.... "Don't hit ground" :P :P

Just Kidding!

OBX-RIDER
05-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Paduan will probably come in here and say you probably had to put masking tape on the dash of the helo saying.... "Don't hit ground" :P :P

No, in my case it would need to say "don't hit incompetent staff officers". A competent staff officer is worth his weight in gold but I was fiercely intolerant of imcompetent staff officers. I remember explaining to my Colonel why I had told a major that "if it was 1941 and Russia I would march his sorry ass out in the snow and put a bullet in his head" when he had totally screwed up supporting the element I was commanding. Not the thing for a CW4 to tell a major no matter how much his Colonel likes him. I survived , the major did not.

LoDownSinner
05-17-2006, 07:37 PM
I've got one of those Honda Band-Aid stickers on my race bike's gas tank that says, "Stupid Hurts!"

If you want to avoid that pinch bolt issue again , safety wire them. Then a quick visual will let you know everything's in place.:thumbsup:

Oh yeah, Whenever I drain oil for an oil change, a piece of yellow duct tape lettered with a big red "No Oil" goes over the ignition switch...

Derick
05-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Oh yeah, Whenever I drain oil for an oil change, a piece of yellow duct tape lettered with a big red "No Oil" goes over the ignition switch...

Starting the bike without oil is bad? :scratch:

OBX-RIDER
05-17-2006, 08:09 PM

Yeah, I tape over the ignition too when I change oil. I'm such a messy oil changer that the drops (puddles) of oil usually gives away what's going on. At least that part of the hangar floor gets cleaned regularly, I average an oil change a month ...

I also put signs all over my bikes when they are on stands "UNSTABLE-DO NOT TOUCH"

Chuck
05-18-2006, 06:56 AM
OBX, your aviation background contributes HEAVILY to the way you maintain your bikes I see. Good call on the tape method with regards to bike maintenance. :)

I worked 15 years in the aviation business. I can't tell you how many sharpies and rolls of tape we went through in a month.

Bugguts
05-18-2006, 01:21 PM
"UNSTABLE-DO NOT TOUCH"
I'm putting that on a t-shirt :thumbsup:

Cindy
05-18-2006, 02:13 PM
LOL@bugguts!

When I get new tires I just go out and ride at least 100 miles to rough up the tires up a bit, that way I can just forget about them. ;)

MotoMan
05-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Good suggestions here!

Paduan
05-18-2006, 04:12 PM
No, in my case it would need to say "don't hit incompetent staff officers". A competent staff officer is worth his weight in gold but I was fiercely intolerant of imcompetent staff officers. I remember explaining to my Colonel why I had told a major that "if it was 1941 and Russia I would march his sorry ass out in the snow and put a bullet in his head" when he had totally screwed up supporting the element I was commanding. Not the thing for a CW4 to tell a major no matter how much his Colonel likes him. I survived , the major did not.
You've personally known a competent staffer?

That is extremely rare.

Not something I have ever experienced....

OBX-RIDER
05-18-2006, 04:31 PM
LOL@bugguts!

When I get new tires I just go out and ride at least 100 miles to rough up the tires up a bit, that way I can just forget about them. ;)

I usually change my tires at work. When I get off work I ride back and forth for about 5 minutes to get some heat in the tires. Then I ride at a constant speed in ever smaller circles, first on one side, then the other. I 'dirt bike' the motorcycle to really get it over. The ramp area has really abrasive asphalt so after about 10 minutes my tires are scrubbed to the edges. I've used this method, taken the bike to the track, and on the second lap I'm riding full pace.

Paduan
05-18-2006, 07:29 PM
A couple of miles on a granite gravel road does a pretty good job of removing the "slickum".