PDA

View Full Version : 1000CC as a 2nd?

Finch
03-28-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm in the market for my second bike, leaning heavily toward the ZZR600...but my local stealership has a SV1000S for sale for less money. I really like that bike, but literbike power gives me pause. I have about a year and 5k miles under my belt.

The SV is a V2 and not an I4. I wory it will have an insane amount of tourque that would bite hard and easily if I were to goof on throttle control.

What do you think? Would you ride a monster power bike for your second bike?

asp125
03-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Head to head, the SV1K has a beefy torque band down low, the ZZR, more even tempered until you get higher in the rev band. That torque is what will bite you if you grab too much throttle rolling on, or in the wet. Torquey V-twins are trickier to learn, especially coming from something like a nighhawk. What kind of mileage are your 5K? Is it city commuting in all weather, or fair weather cruising on country roads? Quality counts in deciding if you are ready to upgrade to a liter bike.

Finch
03-29-2006, 05:57 AM
5K of pretty much anything. Urban commuting, backroad bashing, and even some dirt on street tires. MOstly sunny, although I've been out in the rain several times.

carpe_diem
03-29-2006, 09:54 AM
I've owned the SV650 and currently have a ZZR600. I think that given your experience the ZZR might be better. The Sv1000 has a tremendous amount of low down tourque which might suprise you on the road. Think wheelie monster.

The ZZR has about the same power, but because it builds at higher revs and you have some experience with throttle control, you will be fine with it.

VanDawg38
03-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Love my liter twin. 3rd gear is good from 30 to 110 mph.

I would hope that after 5k miles, you've got decent throttle & brake control. If true, no bike should be a wheelie monster unless you want it to. Either bike will be able to get the front tire in the air with little effort.

As others have said, peak HP is pretty similar on both bikes. The ZZR using rpm's to even things out. You'll shift less on the SV. Both are capable of putting you on your ear if you screw up. The ZZR probably offers greater performance, as it was Kawasaki's 600cc race rep just a few years ago, whereas the SV never was. (TL roots aside.) Both are way more bike than anyone really needs on the street (pot calling the kettle black :smug:).

You see fewer sport twins on the road. Japanese I-4's are everywhere (no doubt because they're fine machines). The 'Zuki will sound better and stand out in a crowd. :)

Bottom line, I like both bikes. I think either one will require some time for you to get used to. (Both bikes are a few rungs up the evolutionary ladder from the 'Hawk.) Treat any new bike like it's your first until you learn it's characteristics. Once you've made your decision, enjoy the ride.

ridermark
03-30-2006, 03:24 PM
I love the sv1000. If and when I get sick of my m50 I would love to have one. I heard that it is a very fast bike though.

keystonejenks
04-01-2006, 06:41 PM
I see your first bike is a Nighthawk, is that the 250 version? If so I'd recommend sticking with the 600 even though it's more money.

As some people pointed out - it depends upon what type of 1000cc machine we're talking. Sometimes displacment doesn't have as much to do with power as insurance company or the average Joe thinks.

I went from a GS500 to a Daytona 955i. I only owned my GS for 6 months before I made the jump. Was I nervous, yes; but what I soon found out was that the triple engine was a different animal. I actually find my Daytona easier to ride than I did my GS.