PDA

View Full Version : News: Biker outruns cops, but not cop pilot

mediajackl
03-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Florida guy, 22, with worst driving record ever, uses an '05 Suzuki to speed away from cops on interstate - but he never looked up. Mistake. Cops own bike now. Not that he'll need one where he's going.

From St. Petersburg Times:
"...Plowman looked back then continued racing north at up to 150 mph on Interstate 75, weaving in and out of traffic at more than twice the 70 mph speed limit, the FHP said.
The trooper did not pursue, following FHP policy not to engage in a high-speed chase because of a traffic infraction.
Plowman would have gotten away, if not for a higher power...A Florida Highway Patrol plane...
..."Mike Canavan, a sales manager at Performance Honda Wesley Chapel, says, 'These bikes are high performance bikes. They have the ability to reach those high speeds but at 150 mph, things approach you so fast, it's impossible to maneuver a bike traveling at that speed.'..."

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/03/14/Hernando/Fleeing_biker_gets_ai.shtml

Shadow Shack
03-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Last year a Pasco judge revoked his license for five years

Once again that failed to keep a driver off the road, and also did not prevent him from purchasing said 2005 Suzuki. Fortunately nobody got hurt this time.

Rod
03-14-2006, 08:50 PM
This state is real stupid. You don't need insurance to own a bike and ride it legally. If you are like me and wear a brain bucket and buy enough insurance to make sure nobody owns your house in case something stupid happens, you have the honor to pay for those that don't.

ChrisS
03-15-2006, 08:15 AM
Any state in the union, you can plunk cash and go away with any vehicle you want. You never have to show a licence, registration, plate, insurance, etc.

The estimate is about 25% of the vehicles on the road are either unregistered, uninsurred, driven by someone unlicensed, or any combination of the three.

I find it morbidly comical that anyone would think for a moment that having a judge take away a piece of paper (the driver's license) would in any way stop a criminal (after all they were in court for something) from continuing to break the law.

Think about it. If person X breaks law 1 and you just take away thier license, why do you expect that person to obey law 2?

Criminals by definition do not obey laws.

I just find it ammusing that every time some criminal causes some chaos, the solution seems to be to pass a law - in other words, they want to write some words on a piece of paper. The real solution is to start enforcing the laws we have and keep these dangerous jerks out of society.

We just had a news story here of a man charged with his 9th DWI. I read another story of a guy going to jail for the 134th time. WHY? You really do have to kill someone to get any kind of meaningful punishment anymore.

Shadow Shack
03-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Funny thing is that there are plenty of laws on gun ownership, no state in the union allows a firearm to be sold to a felon. Yet automobiles continue to kill at a rate that exceeds firearms.

Since they've made it illegal to sell guns to criminals (yes I realize they still acquire them anyways, but read on) there's no reason that dealers could be set up to perform similar background checks to sell vehicles. Private citizens are wise to have gun registration papers transferred to potential buyers before their sale (i.e. go to city hall for the background check for approval), same can be set up for automobiles.

If a gun dealer sells to a known felon then they lose their license to sell and they're out of business. Same should be applied to vehicle dealers. If a private citrizen sells a gun to a felon and they don't transfer the registration and that gun gets used in a crime it gets traced back to the seller not the criminal, same can be set up for private vehicle transfer processes.

There would still be a black market auto sales business but what separates cars from guns is you can't pocket one and waltz downtown to sell it to the first bum you run into, they take a lot more space to hide than any gun. And another thing that separates this is that any car can be checked by any cop upon sight (they do it all the time while driving, entering plates into their onboard computer network), whereas the cop has to find the gun first before checking it out...it's far easier to find people using cars than guns. It's not a perfect solution but it serves to put a dent into the availability equation.

And just like gun laws, there will always be those groups that fight to keep them out of the hands of law abiding citizens...so no doubt the same would hold true for any "keep cars out of criminals hands" law as well.

Wolfie
03-16-2006, 10:16 AM
When I bought my scoot, I had to produce proof of insurance before the transaction would go forward.
A quick call to my carrier and a fax was sent to the dealer.
I didn't have an M endorsment so no test ride.
A real straight up place.
They delivered it to my house and I had my M learners endorsement, he checked.
The salesman wanted the sale, gave me a deal, but the sale went by their book.
They are not all total greedheads out there.
I could have been a straw buyer for someone else, but then it would have been my problem, not the dealer.

mark.

Shadow Shack
03-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Did you pay cash or did they ask for the proof of insurance to secure the financing? Most dealers will take full price in cash no questions asked, up to $10,000 at which point the IRS gets notified.

And they still sold it to you without a valid license...to go on the popular trend of the repeat offender what's to stop you from cancelling the insurance as soon as you got home? (granted some people wouldn't be qualified for proof of insurance from the get go but you see where I'm coming from)

The bottom line is I could have a suspended license and 17 prior DUI convictions and still go into any dealership and buy an SUV to kill someone with, and the most I would need to make that purchase (aside from cash or credit) is a confirmation over the phone from Fly-By-Night Insurance Company with no promise to pay for said insurance.

With that in mind go out and try buying a gun from a dealer after one conviction and you end up with a second conviction...

Wolfie
03-17-2006, 03:39 PM
I paid cash and they wouldn't let me ride it away without the license.
For what it costs me, sometimes I wish my insurance was a bit more fly by night :-)
I told the salesman I had the learners before he delivered and he asked to see it before he unloaded, he also wanted the amount of the purchase I held back until delivery.
You don't have to go to a dealer for a bike, the want ads, Craigslist, or the neighborhood 'guy who has a bike for sale'. cash rules.
If the powers that be create a rule to make it hard to get something, someone out there is willing to help you get around the rule, for cash.

Powered vehicles in the wrong hands are deadly weapons, for the driver or others.
But they are not made to kill. An important distinction.

mark.

ChrisS
03-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Keep in mind that the request of a license could be required by the insurance company or company policy. It is NOT required by law.

subvetSSN606
03-17-2006, 04:20 PM
The dealer will have to plate it one way or another before you drive it off the lot. (Rolling it onto a truck or trailer is different). If they have to plate it, depending on the state, they may have to have proof of insurance before they can plate it.

Tom

Shadow Shack
03-17-2006, 05:16 PM
You don't have to go to a dealer for a bike, the want ads, Craigslist, or the neighborhood 'guy who has a bike for sale'. cash rules.

True, but once again private gun transfers are typically held with outside involvement. Sellers that don't transfer their gun registration upon sale are at the mercy of the buyer being honest, and any homicides traced to that gun get traced back to the seller that didn't transfer the registration. And it goes without saying the transfer doesn't happen to someone that doesn't pass the background check. The same could be enacted for private vehicle transfers, buyer passes a background check before completion of sale lest the seller assume responsibility for the new owner's use of his sale. Granted it's an extra step and fees would no doubt apply (we pay a $25 background check for firearm purchases here in NV, new or private party tranfer), but most folks that knowingly can't pass a check won't go and those foolish enough to try get caught trying.

And I never said it would stop it from happening entirely, but merely put a noticeable dent into the acquisition process.

Powered vehicles in the wrong hands are deadly weapons, for the driver or others. But they are not made to kill. An important distinction.

Yet vehicles still kill at similar and higher rates when compared to guns. I'd wager that has a lot to do with one being much easier to get a hold of than the other. I'd also wager that if equal restrictions (or lacking thereof) applied to both, the numbers would favor the vehicle related deaths suddenly declining.