PDA

View Full Version : Lifting front end for triple tree removal

MarcS
02-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Is there an easy way to do this on a sportbike (exhaust under engine precludes using a jack under the engine) sans buying a front stand a la the PitBull Newfront which uses a pin in the steering stem? I need to get the top triple tree thingy off to replace a clip-on . . .

-or-

Anyone in middle TN got a PitBull Newfront stand with the #5 pin? :)

Allan
02-06-2005, 09:00 AM
I have heard of people using ratcheting tie down straps thrown over a support beam in the garage to life the bike up. Never tried it myself.

LoDownSinner
02-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Hey Marc, what's up with your bike?

Triumph
02-06-2005, 11:56 AM
I have heard of people using ratcheting tie down straps thrown over a support beam in the garage to life the bike up. Never tried it myself.

I've seen pictures of people doing that, too. Should work fine if you attach to the frame somewhere.

MarcS
02-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Remember that sleet/snow storm we had, oh, say, two weeks ago? I was caught out in it... right hand turn from a stop, nearing the end of the turn, the bike decided it didn't want to stand up. :biker: :smash: I guess I'm hardcore now. :cool:

http://lisa.csc.tntech.edu/~masantor/snow.jpg

Hey Marc, what's up with your bike?

LoDownSinner
02-06-2005, 09:51 PM
OK, I missed something. Did you get another bike? And if so, what?

EDIT - never mind, I found the post.

Congrats on the ZZR!!!

MotoMan
02-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Marc, I had to work on my front end today, and here's what I did. My situation is atypical, so I'm having to improvise my work area.

I positioned my bike with the rear wheel pointing towards the front wheel on my car. I put the bike up on the center stand and then took a tie-down, strung it through the grab bar on the bike, and then through one of the spokes on my car's wheel. I just tightened it down a bit and it lifted the front end of the bike off the ground. So the bike was resting on the center stand and the rear wheel now. It worked great. You don't have to tighten it much to lift the front end, at least not on a Ninja 500. Just be careful with any plastic that's on the rear. I didn't have any problems with mine, but I can see the potential for breaking something when you tighten the tie-down.

I guess other than a car wheel, you can use anything else that is sufficiently heavy and that you can wrap a tie-down around. If you don't have a center stand, well, that's another story.

Triumph
02-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Did you ever figure out a way to do this? I need to get my front tire replaced, and could save a few bucks if I take the wheel off myself.

anthony
02-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Marc, I had to work on my front end today, and here's what I did. My situation is atypical, so I'm having to improvise my work area.

I positioned my bike with the rear wheel pointing towards the front wheel on my car. I put the bike up on the center stand and then took a tie-down, strung it through the grab bar on the bike, and then through one of the spokes on my car's wheel. I just tightened it down a bit and it lifted the front end of the bike off the ground. So the bike was resting on the center stand and the rear wheel now. It worked great. You don't have to tighten it much to lift the front end, at least not on a Ninja 500. Just be careful with any plastic that's on the rear. I didn't have any problems with mine, but I can see the potential for breaking something when you tighten the tie-down.

I guess other than a car wheel, you can use anything else that is sufficiently heavy and that you can wrap a tie-down around. If you don't have a center stand, well, that's another story.

Sweet, I thought I was the only person crazy enough to try this. :) I used another motorcycle instead of the car, though (no room for a car in the garage).

sanglant
02-11-2005, 04:26 PM
You can use a jack on the exhaust pipes to lift the bike if you need to. The tubes won't crush and the necks won't bend, unless you have a rust eaten system to start with. My main worry for doing it that way is balancing the bike. If you're trying to use an atv jack, a 2x4 on the opposite side works well as a counter, as long as you secure the wood to the jack, too.

MiniZ
02-12-2005, 09:43 AM
I had to change the bearings on my steering a few weeks ago, it's a zzr250, but I thought this might help anyway. My centrestand was busted (I actually dragged it through a corner long enough to bust out the piece where you step on it), but I had a swingarm stand. Don't have access to a roof beam to lift the front end up, and weighting the rear was definitely not an option.

I used the swingarm stand the way it's supposed to be used, and placed a jack below the monoshock. Lifted it high enough to put the front wheel up, and stabilized it by placing a few bricks below the frame under the swingarm pivot. It was stable enough not to tip over when my little brother decided to play superman while I turned my head looking for a wrench :p