PDA

View Full Version : Pulled out in front of me today

MadMaxmlin
11-30-2005, 12:18 AM
While coming home tonight I saw a largish SUV in the turning lane (what we call the suicide lane) trying to merge with traffic going in the same direction as me. I was in the left lane and my internal motorcycling warning light came on: "That guy is about to pull out in front of you" I checked quickly behind me in both my lane and the right lane next to me: Clear. There goes the SUV pulling into my lane in a sluggish manner. I do a last look-check over my right shoulder and swerve into the right lane, add a tad of throttle and zoom by on the right side of sluggish SUV at a whopping 55 mph and then swerve back into the left lane ahead of him.

What made this ironic to me was I was debating motorcycle safety with someone at work today, and they were saying it doesn't help to be careful because she knew 2 people who got hit at traffic lights and one guy hit when a car crossed the yellow line into their lane. I said you have to prepare for trouble, look actively for escapes, don't be surprised when danger happens and be ready to act on your plan.

I guess it helps that I look at riding as an exercise in accepting the stupidity of humanity as well as reaching whole new levels of forgiveness and patience, combined with active trouble planning.

If it's one point I want to make to new riders: "Plan for the worst and hope for the best, and don't be surprised when the worst happens" Because we want ALL riders to live long, happy lives/rides! Every motorcycle accident is one less of US and more fodder for THEM. Ride on, be safe, enjoy!

subvetSSN606
11-30-2005, 01:00 AM
What made this ironic to me was I was debating motorcycle safety with someone at work today, and they were saying it doesn't help to be careful because she knew 2 people who got hit at traffic lights and one guy hit when a car crossed the yellow line into their lane.

Yeah, doesn't help to be careful... I know 2 people with unwanted pregnacies and one with aids. :heyyou:

Tom

Zixxer10
11-30-2005, 07:37 AM
You beat me to it Tom. They say "God helps those that help themselves". Being blindly fatalistic just because unexpainable situations occur occasionally is playing the victim role. The person is saying "Poor me. It's all out of my control so I'll just curl up in a ball and wait to die."

Bugguts
11-30-2005, 12:27 PM
I look at riding as an exercise in accepting the stupidity of humanity as well as reaching whole new levels of forgiveness and patience, combined with active trouble planning.

That's so utterly profound I wanna put it on a t-shirt! Mind if I do?

Tom, it always amazes me when people forget we have known for sometime what causes unplanned pregnancies.....

MarcS
11-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Had a couple of those lately. It's that time of year.

One was a pickup truck; the driver kept letting off the brake (or clutch) and the truck'd creep forward an inch. Then he'd change his mind. Couldn't decide whether he had time or not.

The thing is...if he had gone when he first saw me, he'd have been fine. Instead, he waited 20 seconds, and by the time he did go, I had no recourse but to swerve around him. I had a feeling he was going to be stupid, though, so I was ready.

Nashville scared the crap out of me yesterday. During traffic people sometimes pull out way into the intersection, hoping they can gun it when there's a clear spot in the traffic. I'm sure the only reason I made it to Vandy OK was because I made sure to go through intersections with a buddy.

remy_marathe
11-30-2005, 07:36 PM
What always worries me about switching lanes on merging vehicles is, sometimes they did see you, and so are going to dart into the second available lane instead of yours. That's the one I just considered swerving into to avoid them.

the Jackasses don't seem to understand the phrase "First Available Lane".

Paduan
11-30-2005, 08:05 PM
they were saying it doesn't help to be careful because
If I had dollar for every time I survived because I was being extra careful and looking out for idiots, I would have enough money to buy another bike.

Cindy
11-30-2005, 08:19 PM
If I had dollar for every time I survived because I was being extra careful and looking out for idiots, I would have enough money to buy another bike.

Isn't that the truth?

Just when I thought I had seen it all............. last week we were riding down the ramp to get on I-65 and I swear to you there was a woman stopped at the end of the ramp talking on the cell phone.

kwr8728
11-30-2005, 10:49 PM
speaking of on ramps....i have friends who think its cool to try to pass as many people possible on the on ramp. there excuse is there is "no speed limit" on the ramp. And im talking about a single lane entrance ramp to the interstate, not one of the multi lane deals. = reason number 234987 why i prefer to drive myself! so if any of ya'll live around the woodstock/canton ga area and see some late teens...early 20ish kids driving like mad on an on ramp....feel free to run them down the emergency lane!

MarcS
12-01-2005, 12:38 AM
There are speed limits on ramps. My sister is living proof: she got a ticket for 85 on the ramp. They considered it a 70, the interstate limit.

kwr8728
12-01-2005, 12:56 AM
There are speed limits on ramps. My sister is living proof: she got a ticket for 85 on the ramp. They considered it a 70, the interstate limit.
Yea Marc that is what i figured...but oh well, their loss, not mine! And also going back to MadMax (by the way, good on you for paying attention) of someone pulling out into your lane; what is with people stopping in the E Lane on the interstate and then pulling directly into the travel lanes before speeding up. its almost like they think they can speed from 0-whatever the 10 over posted speed is before you travel the 100yds to thier back bumper!

24/7
12-01-2005, 05:35 AM
I used to get mad. Here in a large metro area it's a daily occurrence. Give them all the room in the world, and expect the worst. Be ready at all times. Anticipate it.

Zixxer10
12-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Had a couple of those lately. It's that time of year.

One was a pickup truck; the driver kept letting off the brake (or clutch) and the truck'd creep forward an inch. Then he'd change his mind. Couldn't decide whether he had time or not.

The thing is...if he had gone when he first saw me, he'd have been fine. Instead, he waited 20 seconds, and by the time he did go, I had no recourse but to swerve around him. I had a feeling he was going to be stupid, though, so I was ready.
Decisive decision making is severely lacking in a lot of drivers. They're like drunk people trying to dance, always a beat or two behind.

MadMaxmlin
12-02-2005, 12:43 AM
You beat me to it Tom. They say "God helps those that help themselves". Being blindly fatalistic just because unexpainable situations occur occasionally is playing the victim role. The person is saying "Poor me. It's all out of my control so I'll just curl up in a ball and wait to die."

I agree that the "poor me, I have no control over my future" people have too much of the victim mentality. Having said that, I plan like it's all on me and pray like it's all on God.

Decisive decision making is severely lacking in a lot of drivers. They're like drunk people trying to dance, always a beat or two behind.

That's a good way of putting it!

That's so utterly profound I wanna put it on a t-shirt! Mind if I do?

Go ahead! I have to admit that part of my line comes from another poster on the old Beginner Bikes message board. I can't remember who it was, though.

subvetSSN606
12-02-2005, 04:55 AM

Yep...

... You can pray "Please God! Don't let me drown!" But I'd recommend you go ahead and start swimming for the shore anyway. I suspect He would recommend the same.

Tom

Smitty
12-02-2005, 12:47 PM
To survive on a m/c you need to ride in a most defensive mod with the knowledge that you have to have 110% concentration on the road & the traffic PLUS the fact the cage driver only needs 25% concentration & we are lucky if they use 10%.

Fortunately I do NOT live in a city, though this was a change in life I made with good reason of still riding & being alive. Still I am forced to travel though cities to get to the otherside of the hwy for my riding terrain is in the Cdn Rockies with basically two lane roads though some are four lanes.

It was in my 16th to 21nd year (of still alive & still riding) of small city life that I went for county living. My luck was that the two cities I lived in were small as I did say above.

When I am on town or city streets I ride at max or bit below the speed. Being I go with the flow of the traffic still with my defensive mod & it has worked for me all this 59 yrs. Yet I am always seeing fellow riders scooting by me at twice or more my speed, diving in & out of the traffic & all I can do is shake my head & wonder when they will be forced to stop riding & stop making bad names for us especially as my bikes are sportbikes.

I feel my signature below tells you a lot.