PDA

View Full Version : Threads that should be articles

Derick
01-31-2017, 03:23 PM
All - We are dying here, and I'm trying to give things a kick in the ass. I will likely start signing up for link exchanges and may bring in extra manpower to help in gathering more traffic. With that said, I was finally able to make use of all our old articles in the database. I feel dumb because I hadn't dug into it deep enough before to figure it out, but by god I finally got it. And it wasnt that hard. :shady:

Anyhow, I'm opening this thread up for you all to drop in your suggestions on what we should promote to an article. That will put things front and center on the home page, and in the article categories for users across the world to browse. If you see someone having written an awesome review or something super interesting or informative, then drop a link in this thread. You dont need to explain it or anything, just the link. The moderators here will check it out and promote it if we agree. Thanks for keeping watch out there.

Trials
01-31-2017, 03:58 PM
... categories for users across the world to browse....

I think you touched on a potential problem right there :thinking: the world is a really big place, we appear to have good readership in north america and little to no presence in a lot of countries where riding motorcycles is more of a necessity and less sport entertainment. Is there a reason for this and how extensive is the block by country settings applied to this site?

Derick
02-01-2017, 03:40 PM
I think you touched on a potential problem right there :thinking: the world is a really big place, we appear to have good readership in north america and little to no presence in a lot of countries where riding motorcycles is more of a necessity and less sport entertainment. Is there a reason for this and how extensive is the block by country settings applied to this site?

There answer is; plenty. We have a lot of blocked subnets, but most are eastern bloc countries, russia, ukraine, a LOT of china...those are what I can think of off the top of my head. Also, we have a lot of automatic blocks as well happening 20-30 times a day based on robot nature. So, yes, there are some valid folks being excluded. But I would estimate that as like 2-4% at most.

Sorg67
02-01-2017, 08:00 PM
All - We are dying here, and I'm trying to give things a kick in the ass.

What is your objective for the site?

Derick
02-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Unsure. I was hoping it would be a good community of learning and growth. Then I was thinking that this would be cool to run an organization and try and find someway to fund the site, and some sort of payroll for me to organize various rides and events like other sites I'm a part of. Then I've also considered selling it and passing the torch to someone else. Maybe they monetize it, who knows...

Sorg67
02-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Unsure. I was hoping it would be a good community of learning and growth.

You have accomplished that. I cannot tell you how much it has meant to me.

Then I was thinking that this would be cool to run an organization and try and find someway to fund the site, and some sort of payroll for me to organize various rides and events like other sites I'm a part of. Then I've also considered selling it and passing the torch to someone else.

It seems most fund their sites with adds. I would hate to see that since it is so annoying, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

It seems you do not like asking for donations, but you might have to have a fund drive. Say set a donation goal of enough to fund the site for six months. Close all the threads except one fund raising thread until you raise the target funds. Kind of like they do on NPR.

Or maybe a subscription that is required for full access. Maybe limit access to certain areas to members only. But that may be contrary to your objective. The site has a very inclusive and giving feel to it.

Or give people donor level indicators on their signatures. It works for universities.

Maybe they monetize it, who knows...

To monetize, you have to have a revenue stream.

Sorg67
02-02-2017, 06:53 AM
Are there revenue sources other than ads, subscriptions and donations?

Wikipedia seems to be surviving on donations alone.

What do you need to keep the site going?

It would be nice if you could find a major sponsor to take an interest in the mission of the site.

Maybe very limited ads that are not too intrusive. I have stopped going to the Versys site since the ads are so bad they make navigating the site difficult. HDForums is another site I go to that has a lot of ads. Annoying, but the people there are nice and helpful.

I would not like ads, but I would keep coming to this site even if you had to have them. I understand you have to at least cover your costs and it would be completely reasonable for you to be compensated for the enormous amount of time you must contribute.

Only a few people who post here. Do you have a means of keeping track of visitors who are real people? Do you have enough activity to attract interest from advertisers?

Trials
02-02-2017, 07:34 AM
If you were looking for commercial sponsors, want to keep it on topic and did't want the advertising to get out of hand :/ I would start with the recognized Motorcycle rider training organizations. There are about 100 of them in Ontario alone and they are almost all associated with Community Colleges, which are run for profit organizations and do have advertising budgets. You would be certain to see an increase in new rider readership.

Shadow Shack
02-02-2017, 08:15 AM
Well...back in the early days of this board I had been re-submitting the prior board's Customarily Minded and started a new set of articles when that door was closed on me.

Derick
02-02-2017, 09:08 AM
Well...back in the early days of this board I had been re-submitting the prior board's Customarily Minded and started a new set of articles when that door was closed on me.

What was closed? We had some software changes that prevented the articles from being shows as they had been, but I dont believe there was an active change that kept us from wanting your articles.

In fact, they are all online and on the front page again. We're sanding the edges a bit but they are visible again.

Shadow Shack
02-02-2017, 11:56 PM
What was closed? We had some software changes that prevented the articles from being shows as they had been, but I dont believe there was an active change that kept us from wanting your articles.

After resubmitting all the prior BB.com articles --- as per the request of the admin/mod team of this board at the time who initially claimed I would be granted the resources to do so --- I attempted to continue submitting new material but did not have sufficient attachment space for photos. Numerous requests were made in that regard, all of which went unanswered. As such the (then) new submissions ended with five out of an intended series of eight new installments that would have kicked off the new run (re: Decade of Decadence). It was the deafening silence to those requests that metaphorically closed the door in the way of inspiring any further submissions.

So my answer to "suggestions on what we should promote to an article" would be "don't blow off your contributors that spend quality time honoring those requests".

Derick
02-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Replying in line with your post:

Are there revenue sources other than ads, subscriptions and donations? No.

Wikipedia seems to be surviving on donations alone. They have billions of users. We dont.

What do you need to keep the site going? With no upgrades in software or purchases of any sort, the site takes about $500 per year to operate.

It would be nice if you could find a major sponsor to take an interest in the mission of the site. That would be cool.

Maybe very limited ads that are not too intrusive. I have stopped going to the Versys site since the ads are so bad they make navigating the site difficult. HDForums is another site I go to that has a lot of ads. Annoying, but the people there are nice and helpful. I've been considering this. The nice thing about vbulletin is that I can include/exclude groups from ad displays. So I have a money contributors group that I used to put people into. I dont really anymore, because I doesnt really give you any more.....but maybe I should, with a minimum donation of like $50 change users to it and prevent ad displays to them. It's definitely possible, but I'm trying to decide what to do with the vbulletin software. Version 4 is getting quite old, 5 sucks, and there aren't enough contributions to budget a new purchase.

I would not like ads, but I would keep coming to this site even if you had to have them. I understand you have to at least cover your costs and it would be completely reasonable for you to be compensated for the enormous amount of time you must contribute.

Only a few people who post here. I know, we are down to an average 30 posts a day, from years before of about 2-300/day

Do you have a means of keeping track of visitors who are real people? Google analytics takes care of all of that and has methods to determine ACTUAL traffic versus bots, spiders, etc.

Do you have enough activity to attract interest from advertisers?Unsure, I've never looked into it.

Derick
02-03-2017, 11:20 AM
After resubmitting all the prior BB.com articles --- as per the request of the admin/mod team of this board at the time who initially claimed I would be granted the resources to do so --- I attempted to continue submitting new material but did not have sufficient attachment space for photos. Numerous requests were made in that regard, all of which went unanswered. As such the (then) new submissions ended with five out of an intended series of eight new installments that would have kicked off the new run (re: Decade of Decadence). It was the deafening silence to those requests that metaphorically closed the door in the way of inspiring any further submissions.

So my answer to "suggestions on what we should promote to an article" would be "don't blow off your contributors that spend quality time honoring those requests".

I dont think the door closed or anything was intentional. Life happens, and it's possible I got apathetic about it all. I think the owner of bb.com had a breakdown of some sorts...and I had something similar a few years ago. However, the articles were never unwanted, they were just unable to be published (because I'm an idiot and hadn't figured the system out yet).
'

Sorg67
02-03-2017, 11:56 AM
With only 30 posts a day, I would think advertiser interest would be limited. But perhaps that are a lot more readers than posters. I have posted similar questions here, on the Versys forum, HDForum and Thumper forum. I generally get more replies from the other sites, but I get better replies here.

At the moment, you have captured a group of posters with above average knowledge and above average interest in helping others. That is a value it seems that you could capitalize on in some way. Not sure how. I have mentioned the site to many people. If all of us remember to mention the site to dealers, MSF coaches, Mechanics, other riders, maybe we could get the activity up a bit. Then maybe limited ads with an ability to avoid the ads with a subscription.

Ultimately Derick is going to run out of gas and the site will die which would be a real shame. It is the best resource I have found for motorcycle information.

I would be nice for the site to cover costs and pay Derick for his time.

WoodstockJeff
02-03-2017, 12:00 PM
One thing we found eons ago was that putting adsense on a few of our sites increased the "hit rate", in part because the site got indexed better by Google. But that wasn't enough to overcome those forums being dull and dying compared to Facebook, and the revenue was insignificant.

Bugguts
02-03-2017, 03:21 PM
First off I'd like to thank you Derick for the work you put in to making this forum work. I really wish I had more money to contribute. It makes me sad that the posting dropped off. I assumed that during my hiatus the party was still in full swing. I actually felt kinda bad back in the day because I was posting so much. I know there were a few complaints that too many of the posts/threads were off topic. (My bad) I wondered which was more important....traffic the posts generate....or the amount of bandwidth needed to support all those posts. (I know nothing about how all this works...but again...thank you for making it all work...and undertaking the expense involved).

I had asked if Facebook redirected peoples posting time. Which would be sad since this forum really is the best corner of the internet...bar none.

I'm hoping that those that left are only taking a hiatus...and come back again.

Mad Matt
02-04-2017, 11:59 AM
All these article threads just redirect to the main landing page when I click them.

liberpolly
02-04-2017, 01:27 PM
Disclaimer: I've never run a forum, but I'm one of those people who you may say contributed to the building of the modern internet. (not algore)

I think you main problem here is that the solution does not match the problem. You're running a board with dozen or so regulars, on a platform that is built for thousands.

If you switch to one of those low-budget hosting companies and run a free forum software, you can get to 95% functionality at 5% of the cost. For example, Powweb would host unlimited bandwidth and storage website for less than $4/month. You can run the board on phpBB, Joomla, phpNuke, or whatnot, and it will probably even let you migrate most of the content. For free. It has adWords abd even Bing ad-something integration.

From there, you can regroup, and see how you can grow. You have invaluable resources - tons of content, and well known domain, you can put them to good use.

Moving platforms can either kill the forum or breath a new life to it. Can it be any worse than the current state?

Derick
02-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Disclaimer: I've never run a forum, but I'm one of those people who you may say contributed to the building of the modern internet. (not algore)

I think you main problem here is that the solution does not match the problem. You're running a board with dozen or so regulars, on a platform that is built for thousands.

If you switch to one of those low-budget hosting companies and run a free forum software, you can get to 95% functionality at 5% of the cost. For example, Powweb would host unlimited bandwidth and storage website for less than $4/month. You can run the board on phpBB, Joomla, phpNuke, or whatnot, and it will probably even let you migrate most of the content. For free. It has adWords abd even Bing ad-something integration.

From there, you can regroup, and see how you can grow. You have invaluable resources - tons of content, and well known domain, you can put them to good use.

Moving platforms can either kill the forum or breath a new life to it. Can it be any worse than the current state?

Well the software doesnt cost anything at this point, so why would I change platforms? Years ago you had to buy annual licenses, however with VB4, they changed it to a single purchase. I paid for the VB5 upgrade, but it's worthless.

Other products out there that I would consider going to like xenforo do have annual costs again, which I wont do until we have funding.

We're getting our hosting from Amazon on their AWS server, this is literally as cheap as I can get it. The shared services we've done, we were with dreamhost for like 12 years...this is better.

Shadow Shack
02-12-2017, 09:57 PM
Well, if you could persuade the same members that are registered here to post 10% of what they do on facebook, it would be an active board again.

Pook81
02-13-2017, 09:24 AM
I've been gone for a while for two reasons.

1) I felt I had gone over most of what interested me.

2) Seemed like too many threads went out of control. I remember one thread someone was looking for some rudimentary help and it turned into a discussion on MotoGP body position. New topic should always be a new thread.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Missy B
02-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Well, if you could persuade the same members that are registered here to post 10% of what they do on facebook, it would be an active board again.

What BBO facebook page are you looking at? I don't see that much on the facebook page for BBO.

Unless you're talking about their individual pages??

Shadow Shack
02-13-2017, 08:13 PM
The BBO facebook page where members here post there and avoid posting here is the one I am looking at.

Missy B
02-13-2017, 08:55 PM
I see one post there on the 4th, 1 on the 10th and 1 on the 11th. That page??

That doesn't seem to be taking away traffic from here but mebbe I am missing something?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Shadow Shack
02-14-2017, 08:18 AM
Surely you refer to the posts with 2 comments, 36 comments, and 5 comments respectively? Yes, those posts.

Missy B
02-14-2017, 03:39 PM
The one with 36 (now 50) are by 6 or 7 people, I believe, to be clear.

But 1 active post over that span of a timeframe? For me, it doesn't say the fb page replaced here...or that it takes away from traffic here.

But....data is great. We can all interpret it different ways.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

NORTY
02-15-2017, 06:52 AM
This is not the only site to suffer traffic due to the elephant in the room. Many sites are in the same boat.

Bugguts
02-15-2017, 08:12 AM
2) Seemed like too many threads went out of control. I remember one thread someone was looking for some rudimentary help and it turned into a discussion on MotoGP body position. New topic should always be a new thread.

Especially when the morphing goes soooo far away from "rudimentary help". I understand we have plenty of experienced, even awe-inspiring riders here, but at times the morphing reads like grand standing. As impressive as the talents are, if target audience is beginner, the advice should reflect that.

Shadow Shack
02-15-2017, 08:27 AM
But....data is great. We can all interpret it different ways.

Interpret it any way you like, it doesn't change the fact I claimed in my original post: convince the members here that don't post here that are posting there --- as frequently or infrequently as you choose to interpret it --- to start posting here again.

Pook81
02-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Interpret it any way you like, it doesn't change the fact I claimed in my original post: convince the members here that don't post here that are posting there --- as frequently or infrequently as you choose to interpret it --- to start posting here again.
I agree. It basically cannibalizes each platform.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Trials
02-15-2017, 11:16 AM
:biker: Once in a while it pays to return to the original post, just to make sure your posts are still on topic:

All - We are dying here...
Anyhow, I'm opening this thread up for you all to drop in your suggestions on what we should promote to an article. That will put things front and center on the home page, and in the article categories for users across the world to browse. If you see someone having written an awesome review or something super interesting or informative, then drop a link in this thread. You dont need to explain it or anything, just the link. The moderators here will check it out and promote it if we agree. Thanks for keeping watch out there.

Shadow Shack
02-15-2017, 10:24 PM
:biker: Once in a while it pays to return to the original post, just to make sure your posts are still on topic:

My point is directly on topic, may I refer you to the opening sentence of that which you quoted:

All - We are dying here, and I'm trying to give things a kick in the ass.

When regulars and charter members alike stop posting, that's the death knell of any board.

Trials
02-16-2017, 08:21 AM
If it's anything like amateur clubs and events, the problems start when the sport fails to attract new people and the old guard loses interest in supporting and promoting the sport. I'm still seeing a fairly good core of old guard support here and the site is still up, so I figure it's the new people that we are failing to attract and keep in the room. Could it be they just don't like the message? Liberpolly's recent thread would indicate that is the case.

Perhaps we just need to promote some articles on how to best deal with some of the topics that experienced riders would normally find objectionable. :lol: I can start with some article suggestions:
'How to survive riding too big of a first motorcycle'
'How to chop, bob and cafe racer all the wrong motorcycles'
'1001 ways to improve your motorcycle with an angle grinder'
'How to ride with no fenders'
'Mufflers: who needs em! open headers sound awesome'
'Pod filters: it's all about the look, who cares what they run like!'
'1970's CB750: is it the right starter bike for you'
'Building a motorcycle seat out of an old skateboard'
'X-box: does it count as previous motorcycle experience'

There, that post should crank up a few hits and possibly heated responses :wiggleit:

https://youtu.be/kL3z9f58aQg

Shadow Shack
02-16-2017, 09:02 AM
The problem, as I have maintained in numerous other threads, is facebook itself. Today's generation on the whole needs instant gratification and their typical 8 second/12 word attention span is perfect for modern media sound bytes yet at the same time couldn't be any further from a forum's purpose. Forum traffic everywhere, on the whole, is in decline as a result of social media. People really aren't looking for factual support, they are more interested in like minded individuals' support.

Hence the "like" button, the single most anti-social function ever to be introduced to a social outlet. This allows said like minded individuals with said short attention spans to reply without actually saying anything...you know, the basis of a social platform: communication. As long as they collect their "likes" then they "know" that they are correct. Facts be damned, they take too long to read anyways so they couldn't possibly be important.

As such forums on the whole are going the way of the dodo, after all who wants to wait 15 minutes for a response when twitter/facebook/etc gives instant support via the like button.

AlwaysLearnin
02-16-2017, 09:05 AM
https://youtu.be/kL3z9f58aQg
Now there's a person who should stay far away from real motorcycles!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mic575
02-16-2017, 09:05 AM
'X-box: it does count as previous motorcycle experience' (fixed it :))

I am here just anticipating the release of these 3 articles :):)

One way to get new folks stopping by may be for the regulars to post simple reviews of bikes they have ridden. What they like/don't like, what it does well or not so well etc. There are a few good reviews on here but there is a lot more experience with a lot of different bikes on here to draw from. The site is great at answering "should I consider x or y bike".

There was a report of a get off yesterday. I learned a lot from the report and one new thing I walked away with is some thoughts about tires. There could be a pretty good summary of what you should look for in a tire - there are real reasons to not go cheap and 'wears like iron'

Trials
02-16-2017, 10:15 AM
The problem, as I have maintained in numerous other threads, is facebook itself. Today's generation on the whole needs instant gratification and their typical 8 second/12 word attention span is perfect for modern media sound bytes yet at the same time couldn't be any further from a forum's purpose. Forum traffic everywhere, on the whole, is in decline as a result of social media. People really aren't looking for factual support, they are more interested in like minded individuals' support.

Hence the "like" button, the single most anti-social function ever to be introduced to a social outlet. This allows said like minded individuals with said short attention spans to reply without actually saying anything...you know, the basis of a social platform: communication. As long as they collect their "likes" then they "know" that they are correct. Facts be damned, they take too long to read anyways so they couldn't possibly be important.

As such forums on the whole are going the way of the dodo, after all who wants to wait 15 minutes for a response when twitter/facebook/etc gives instant support via the like button.

:thumbsup: Like.

'X-box: it does count as previous motorcycle experience' (fixed it :))

I am here just anticipating the release of these 3 articles :):)

One way to get new folks stopping by may be for the regulars to post simple reviews of bikes they have ridden. What they like/don't like, what it does well or not so well etc. There are a few good reviews on here but there is a lot more experience with a lot of different bikes on here to draw from. The site is great at answering "should I consider x or y bike".

There was a report of a get off yesterday. I learned a lot from the report and one new thing I walked away with is some thoughts about tires. There could be a pretty good summary of what you should look for in a tire - there are real reasons to not go cheap and 'wears like iron'

:thumbsup: Like.

:cool: I can do a ride report on the 1953 BSA 500cc Goldstar motocross model

:( but you'll probably never see one in your lifetime unless it's parked in a museum.

Trials
02-16-2017, 11:09 AM
I think I found a great topic for an article: Mouse proofing your motorcycle :redangry2

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af21/eotamoderator/mousenest_zpsnhoiuzo9.jpg

For those who don't immediately recognize it, that right there is a perfect combination air intake mouse house.

Mad Matt
02-17-2017, 08:22 PM
I had to go out and check mine after I saw that. No mice so far, but it's getting a wad of steel wool in the intake until spring.

Trials
02-18-2017, 08:05 AM
I think something along the same lines as what I did on my sea-doo is in order:

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af21/eotamoderator/mousebarrier_zpsdprxy8ce.jpg

Looks like the CBR500R air intake goes straight into the filter and that is encased in wire mesh, so I suspect a replacement filter will fix it with no further damage expected.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eZb-oe1MICo/VaiJzZg9FtI/AAAAAAAAADk/igQhk65vKig/s800-Ic42/IMG_20150717_115112179.jpg

I can't locate a free service manual for this bike so far, let me know if you find one. :redtounge I'm cheap and refuse to pay 60+$ for documentation that should accompany every new motorcycle purchase. Mr.Honda please get with the program and make this stuff easy available!

Mad Matt
02-18-2017, 08:54 AM
About ten minutes after I wrote that, I realized steel wool particles in the air intake are probably a Bad Thing.

I have the service manual for the 500X, which is nearly the same thing as the 500R. I'll see what it says when I get home this afternoon. Have to open mine up to clean the air filter anyway.

Trials
02-18-2017, 09:24 AM
About ten minutes after I wrote that, I realized steel wool particles in the air intake are probably a Bad Thing.

I have the service manual for the 500X, which is nearly the same thing as the 500R. I'll see what it says when I get home this afternoon. Have to open mine up to clean the air filter anyway.

:thumbsup: depends on the steel wool, the stuff that is intended for wood furniture refinishing does not contain any loose material to speak of.

:D Spring is in the air today :biker: Sun should make it nice enough to work outside in a snowbank. Might as well work on the bikes, the snow riding conditions here really suck at the moment and the roads are too heavy with salt to take the nice bikes out and destroy them.

Bugguts
02-20-2017, 07:50 AM
I think I found a great topic for an article: Mouse proofing your motorcycle :redangry2

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af21/eotamoderator/mousenest_zpsnhoiuzo9.jpg

For those who don't immediately recognize it, that right there is a perfect combination air intake mouse house.
I once had a tractor burst into flames as I stopped to talk to a neighbor thanks to a mouse nest. And just to reinterate the reason for this thread.....

All - We are dying here, and I'm trying to give things a kick in the ass. I will likely start signing up for link exchanges and may bring in extra manpower to help in gathering more traffic. With that said, I was finally able to make use of all our old articles in the database. I feel dumb because I hadn't dug into it deep enough before to figure it out, but by god I finally got it. And it wasnt that hard. :shady: