PDA

View Full Version : Please! Check out the VB5 site

Derick
12-05-2016, 10:46 PM
Since we have new servers, everything seems a bit quicker. I've re-upgraded another snapshot of the database and installed vb5 and I'd like folks to give it a try. DO NOT POST OR DO ANYTHING THERE THAT MUST BE SAVED.

You can log in and post if you want, but it is ONLY for testing purposes. I know a lot of our complaints there were related to slow response times, but it seems pretty good now. We have to understand that the old v4 software will be phased out at some point...so embracing and doing what we can to enhance the experience now is the way to go.

The site is;
http://vb5.beginnerbikers.org

Check it out, give me some feedback...thanks,

Derick
12-05-2016, 10:48 PM
I already see an issue with the BBO bar and its giant uncontrollableness....interesting.

Bugguts
12-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Hey I've tried various bouncers, but no one can make those people behave. ;)

shonuff
12-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I got the "unable to contact server" message when trying to navigate through the bar thread. Other threads seemed to work though.

Bugguts
12-06-2016, 01:02 PM
It seems to go to the first page of the thread instead of the last.

asp125
12-06-2016, 01:25 PM
Looks like all the attachments (pics) are broken. Maybe they have not been imported.

Derick
12-06-2016, 06:58 PM
<p>

Looks like all the attachments (pics) are broken. Maybe they have not been imported. Yeah thats to be expected....I didnt monkey with the attachments on there, though its easy enough to fix i guess. The biggest complaints were page to page browsing being absurdly slow...so that&#39;s really what I want tested....because if vbulletin has corrected those issues along with our move to amazon being a big faster, then we might go ahead and move. I was able to change the styles a little bit to what I liked to give the site a more modern feel, but the complaints were overwhelming.</p>

WoodstockJeff
12-06-2016, 08:58 PM
One of the things I didn't like about the style choices is that "somebody" thinks that "next/previous" links are evil incarnate, and they disappear whenever a style is "modernized".

Most of the time, on a forum this size, it isn't a HUGE issue to go back to the index to navigate to the next topic. It may be that the reason for the hate is topics like the bar - rarely do you want to go to the first topic when of a 10,000 page thread... But, I still prefer that option.

Derick
12-06-2016, 09:56 PM
One of the things I didn't like about the style choices is that "somebody" thinks that "next/previous" links are evil incarnate, and they disappear whenever a style is "modernized".

Most of the time, on a forum this size, it isn't a HUGE issue to go back to the index to navigate to the next topic. It may be that the reason for the hate is topics like the bar - rarely do you want to go to the first topic when of a 10,000 page thread... But, I still prefer that option.

So youre talking about the
Previous Thread (http://www.beginnerbikers.org/showthread.php?38814-Please!-Check-out-the-VB5-site&goto=nextoldest)
| Next Thread (http://www.beginnerbikers.org/showthread.php?38814-Please!-Check-out-the-VB5-site&goto=nextnewest)
links at the near bottom?

Shadow Shack
12-06-2016, 10:20 PM
Hey I've tried various bouncers, but no one can make those people behave. ;)

Your problem is you rely too much on Beginner Biker bouncers, I suggest you try branching out to 1%-ers instead. :wink:

Clair
12-06-2016, 11:19 PM
Logged on fine, in General Forum created a new post. Then pressed "New Topics" and got this

Your criteria is not restrictive enough and might return too many results. Please restrict your criteria and try again.

Clair
12-06-2016, 11:22 PM
ALso ... I don't see a way to go to the last / most current page in long threads ...

WoodstockJeff
12-07-2016, 02:19 AM
Yes, Next/Previous.

Clair, the little icons just in front of the topic name take you to the newest message. Was going to link to the image, but it apparently doesn't want to be linked to. :)