PDA

View Full Version : The "ignore list"

Ninja Rebel
09-13-2015, 11:28 AM
So, when you are not logged in and you scroll down the Forum, the possible members who are on your "ignore list" are not ignored, making it a bit of a drag, as there are conceptual reasons why you might have blocked someone.
This is usually an issue for the "Lounge".
Suggestion : that the Lounge only can be accessed when logged in, and also, the lounge should only be accessible to members who have proven to be active members, i.e. ones that have already a history on the BBO, like having posted like a min. of 30 posts...this also to avoid possible spammers.

Only a suggestion...

subvetSSN606
09-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Well, obviously your ignore list isn't going to work if you are not logged in as you.

The off-topic banter in the lounge areas are a part of who we all are as a group. Certainly would be nice if it was always good-natured banter, but it doesn't make sense to me to "throw the baby out with the bath-water."

Tom

Trials
09-13-2015, 03:10 PM
Seen this problem on another forum but very rarely here. (I consider all the people here to be my friends)
The problem with any forum ignore function is that it operates in reverse and for that function to be of value, you would need to prevent people from viewing and replying to your posts. (that would work, but it's not an option)

stevekozak
09-13-2015, 03:33 PM
Well, obviously your ignore list isn't going to work if you are not logged in as you.

The off-topic banter in the lounge areas are a part of who we all are as a group. Certainly would be nice if it was always good-natured banter, but it doesn't make sense to me to "throw the baby out with the bath-water."

Tom
:thumbsup: .

atomicalex
09-13-2015, 07:21 PM
Ignore lists serve two ways - to reduce clutter and to prevent discussion. Clutter reduction is noble, but to shy away from differing opinions is painfully ignorant.

Tom, good point.

Kootenanny
09-14-2015, 10:51 AM
I have never used the "ignore"list on this, or any forum. Although, wouldn't surprise me if I've made a few others' lists... :)

Chench53
09-15-2015, 05:44 AM
Well, obviously your ignore list isn't going to work if you are not logged in as you....Tom

That's true. I just ignore who I want to ignore. In fact, I just tried the ignore button - Tom, I tried to ignore you but it says I can't ignore an admin!

So, I ignored my husband, ha ha, it let me do that. :ugly_tockThen I looked for my ignore list at the bottom of the home page, but there was none, so I'm not sure of the purpose. I went back and un-ignored my husband. :D

But how does ignore work? Do their posts not appear in a thread? If so, wouldn't that impact the whole context of a thread? That would make no sense at all. Or, does ignoring someone just block someone from messaging you?

Except for true forum trollers and spammers (who are never long lived here!), this place has always been filled with a good bunch of people. I I enjoy the different viewpoints, it is what makes this place fun and interesting.

Gerry

shonuff
09-15-2015, 06:19 AM
When you add someone to your ignore list, you no longer see what typed in a post. You see that something was posted there, but it just gives you a notice that the user is ignored. And it gives you the option to "view post" or "remove user from ignore list".

However, if someone you're not ignoring quotes one of your ignored people, you will see the quoted portion.

Lezbert
09-15-2015, 11:22 AM
There's no reason to change a forum's access permissions based on the ignore feature. The feature works exactly how it's supposed to work. There are perks to being a member of the forum -- you have the ability to post, and you have access to the forum's features. If someone wants those perks, they need to join the board and log in. If a *member* wants those features, they need to log in. In addition, only logged in members can post to the Lounge (or any other forum), so requiring member login to access it achieves very little.

shonuff
09-15-2015, 11:38 AM
There's no reason to change a forum's access permissions based on the ignore feature. The feature works exactly how it's supposed to work. There are perks to being a member of the forum -- you have the ability to post, and you have access to the forum's features. If someone wants those perks, they need to join the board and log in. If a *member* wants those features, they need to log in. In addition, only logged in members can post to the Lounge (or any other forum), so requiring member login to access it achieves very little.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Clair
09-15-2015, 03:37 PM
Who's this Tom dude ...

twizted1
09-15-2015, 04:01 PM
Who's this Tom dude ...

More like who's this Claire chick...

NORTY
09-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Ignore list is a wonderful device.

Ninja Rebel
10-27-2015, 08:10 AM
Ignore list is a wonderful device.
Think so too...
There are difference in not willing to address any discussion than to want to avoid to answer to provocateurs...follow my sight...lol, :mrgreen:

It is indeed not so important, but the ignore button a good tool, used in many other Forums, and which has proven to be successful in avoiding any sort of escalating dumb word battle which are only annoying the others...

Bugguts
03-01-2016, 02:16 PM
So, I ignored my husband, ha ha, it let me do that. :ugly_tock

That's called marriage.