PDA

View Full Version : Accessory for Nolan quick-connect and helmet locks

Ranger
10-22-2005, 08:20 AM
Howdy All,

For those of you with Nolan helmets that have the quick connect lock...

Nolan (or at least the Nolan US distributor) sells a "T-Bar" which will let you secure your helmet to the bike's helmet lock. It is basically a "T" shapped piece of metal that slides through the quick connector and has a hole at the base which hooks onto your bike's helmet lock.

I didn't find any online when I did a quick search, but "Lone Star Cycle" in Austin found them easily through their distributor. It was $6.00.

x_cuesme
10-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks Jeff! I have a helmet with this release and not being able to lock it means--

A lot of carrying it around.

I actually need to replace it but can't seem to find one around here. Everyone suddenly stopped carrying Nolan...I have no clue why.

Mer
10-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Thanks Jeff! I'll definitely have to check that out! I hate not being able to lock my helmet.

Meatwad
10-23-2005, 02:42 AM
I've done a google search and can't find any pictures of this T-Bar lock.
If anyone knows of any links to photos it would be appreciated.

My helmet doesn't fit in my locker and I hate the idea of leaving it on the floor.
I would much rather lock it to the bike, and not have to fiddle with a cable.

Thanx

Ranger
10-23-2005, 08:47 AM
I've attached a picture I scanned in from an order form I received. Note that it shows two, but you only get one.

The order form is from CIMA International (the importers of Nolan into the US). Their number is 866-2helmet (866-246-5638 ) or 630-671-9710. The price of the T-Bar is $5.00 and shipping (for just that) would be $4.95. For 1 T-Bar, that shipping cost seemed a bit pricey, which is why I was glad Lone Star Cycle thought it was a good idea too, and ordered a bunch :-).

Ranger
10-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Howdy All, Here are some pictures of the T-Bar in use on my Aero. Sorry I didn't think to post these before :-)

Missy B
10-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Ok, I'm a mechanical moron...

Is this something I could use to actually make my Ninja's helmet lock functional? IE: Can I use it somehow to get the clearance away from the bike to hang the helmet? I suppose not if I want it to be secure......

Meatwad
10-23-2005, 12:17 PM
Ahhh....I get it now!

Thanks for the pics and info Ranger.
Having pics of it attached to the helmet really cleared things up.
Seeing it on a bike so close to mine doesn't hurt either ;-)
That looks like something that might be able to made up on one's own.

Ranger
10-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Glad the pics helped :-)

As for using it on other helmets, I put it through my wife's Shoei D-Rings and it seemed about as secure as when used on the Nolan, and it would definitely get the clearance away from the bike by about 2 1/2 inches.

As for security, I've been told if someone really wants your helmet off a helmet lock, they'll just cut the strap. So if I were going to be away from the bike for an extended time or in a high-risk area, I would secure the helmet with a cable through the visor opening in addition to using the helmet lock. I have a 6-ft flex cable with a loop on both ends I pass through the arm of my jacket, the visor opening on the helmet, and then secure both loop ends AND the T-Bar hole on the helmet lock.

kywally
10-24-2005, 10:15 AM
I think these can be purchased at J&P Cycles website and maybe also through Dennis Kirk online. FYI.....

LDYAPXR
11-13-2005, 06:37 PM
Ok, I'm a mechanical moron...

Is this something I could use to actually make my Ninja's helmet lock functional? IE: Can I use it somehow to get the clearance away from the bike to hang the helmet? I suppose not if I want it to be secure......
Can I get an AMEN on this? The helmet lock is pretty freaking worthless on the 500. Bill and I have fought to get my Shoei locked onto it and it ain't happenin' Sister! LOL Hope the 650R has a better one but not holding my breath. The Seca II has a great one but you have to remove the seat and with the Corbin, it is kind of a PIA.

TorontoBoy
11-14-2005, 04:11 AM
That looks like a very useful accessory, and can make the MC's helmet lock actually work. I shouldn't be too hard to find. It's a single piece of flat metal with a hole in one end, a skinny part to go through the D/ractangular end, and a fat end.