PDA

View Full Version : Wear Your Gear!

kywally
10-20-2005, 01:41 PM
CINCINNATI:

A man is seriously hurt after a motorcycle accident in Harrison Township late Wednesday night.

Investigators say 48-year-old James Pittman lost control in the 9700 of Lees Creek Road and was ejected from his bike.

Pittman was taken to University Hospital by Air Care, where he is in critical condition.

He was not wearing a helmet.

(Everytime one of these stories hits the news, I hear from my mom and wife I am going to kill myself on my bike. It really gets old, people ride without helmets and gear and end up killed or critically injured)

Don't forget to wear your gear, you never know what's around the next corner or turn in the road.

HotFix
10-20-2005, 01:54 PM
I rode from on building to another at my work campus today (.25mile). I didn't wear my gear - but I did put my helmet on (it would have fallen of the sissy bar)

Bugguts
10-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Thank goodness for the like minded souls on this forum, because I am encountering more and more bikers that think I'm odd for always wearing full gear, even in the heat of summer. I tell myself "BB.org and BAB.com understand me, tough crap if these people don't".

As Low Down Sinner said once "It's a personal choice".

It's tough though when you're the only one in the group with a kevlar jacket on, and the rest of the women have spaghetti strap tops on!

Road rash can be the equivalent of a third degree burn. I'm really considering making copys of the story that one rash victim had published in MCN of the months of agony she went through and handing them out the next time I get needled by other riders.

You just never know when it's going to be your turn....

TBeck2000
10-21-2005, 02:25 PM
It looks like this road in KY was pretty isolated and only has a couple of sharper turns: link to map (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/maps/extmap;_ylt=AmerOsafywfc4SfXBPiTh7pkDLMF/*-http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?name=&ed=wpZGnep_0Trkw.bk0I0pDjFqo9fKc019LRAOF063sBKWonJ owxohtIrpSf2j101UrpEg0WZo.N90EVCHzFWG5xg5I4S33AyM3 HTrFY8qglJMpVwzZlo-&csz=Dover%2C+KY+41034&desc=&mag=3&ds=n&state=KY&uzip=41034&country=US&BFKey=&cat=comm&resize=l&trf=0)

I sure hope he pulls through.

I think gear just has to become a habit. I can't drive my car without the seat belt because I feel naked. Your helmet and everything else needs to become the same way. I rode around the block the other day with just tennis shoes on and boy did it feel weird. I don't think I'm going to do that ever again (my toes got cold).

remy_marathe
10-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Definitely a habit thing. First time I wore my combat boots instead of riding boots, it felt weird, and I didn't like feeling the shifter on top of my toe. I should've stopped there, and gone back to the riding boots. Instead, now I'm used to riding in the combat boots; I like the flexibility, and being able to lock up my helmet and jacket and walk around gearless.

When next I go down, I'll really love how they shred apart, the way my ankle freely twists in them, and the way they will allow any sufficiently heavy object (like a motorcycle) to crush my foot. Yeah I'm going to love that.

Moral of the story- what you get used to becomes your standard for comfort; if you always wear your gear then you'll feel both comfortable and safe in it. Don't tease yourself with tastes of gearlessness, it's a gateway drug that can't end well.

RockyMtnRoadRash
10-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Road rash can be the equivalent of a third degree burn. I'm really considering making copys of the story that one rash victim had published in MCN of the months of agony she went through and handing them out the next time I get needled by other riders.

Well, technically it's a third degree burns with ROCKS AND CRAP GROUND INTO IT!

Owowowowowowoww!

SabreScott
10-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Don't leave home without it!

x_cuesme
10-22-2005, 01:01 AM
Buggouts, just LAYER-

Wear the spaghetti straps UNDER the gear- you gotta stop somewhere sooner or later!

Seriously, I just tell like it is- If it's my time to go, it's my time to go. I worry about what shape I'll be in when I LIVE through it-

And what my family will have to endure by my choices.

Smitty
10-22-2005, 01:28 AM
Yesterday I put fuel stabalizer into the Honda 929 & 954, both running out of insurance, so time for the final bit of storage. Nice warm day, not common this time year. Still had to top them at the fuel station.

Had a good set of tough working jeans, pair of climbing boots, T-shirt & sweat shirt, MSF Gore-Tex shell jacket & MSR dirt comp gloves plus my ffShoei helmet. Only around two miles to & from the fuel station & enough to stir the fuel stabalizer around a bit.

Still it felt so weird with the noises from motors of both, grips seemed much smaller & something strange. Then the light came on---------I was not wearing my usual protective riding gear nor ear plugs under the helmet. Just goes to show the difference.

Anyway two bikes in storage till sometime in March. Just the Yamaha YZR-600R I had out for a 5+ hr spin on the mtn hwys & let it rip up in the revs & speed. One more run to-morrow & it to will be time to get it prepared for winter storage. What a ghastly thought. Possibly in '06 I will extend the insurance to around same day only the month of November for one bike.

Clair
10-24-2005, 04:23 PM
ATGATT ... it's not just a fancy acronym ...

Clair
10-24-2005, 04:23 PM
ATGATT ... it's not just a fancy acronym ...

Hooty1957
10-25-2005, 07:21 AM
I rode around the block the other day with just tennis shoes on and boy did it feel weird. I don't think I'm going to do that ever again (my toes got cold).

With "just" your tennis shoes on??????.......and "only" your toes got cold???:crackup:

Sorry, but that just struck me funny!

Seriously, I work in the O.R. of a local hospital, and I've seen what happens when you don't wear your gear. It ain't pretty! Seeing these types of injuries, was one of the reasons why I took so long in deciding on getting a bike. They can make fun of me, if they want, but I'm wearing the gear. Road rash just doesn't appeal to me.

Hooty

SoCal LabRat
10-25-2005, 07:29 AM
H took a tumble in a left hand turn this summer wearing only a T-shirt. He hasn't ridden without his jacket since.

I'm one of the crowd that wears gear every time I ride. I have three jackets!. I don't have every possible safety piece of clothing, but I feel safe enough. I know where I cut corners and that it might bite me some day (jeans and fingerless gloves in the summer). I hope I never find out.

Bugguts
10-25-2005, 07:56 AM
Well, technically it's a third degree burns with ROCKS AND CRAP GROUND INTO IT!

Owowowowowowoww!

Good point!

How many of you out there wear overpants? I'm accustomed to them now, and can get them on and off in three minutes flat. But the other riders seem annoyed with me over this. Basically, they don't fold down well, so basically I go into the bathroom, remove them, then set them on an empty chair in the restaurant. I make it a point to go back into the restroom and put them on BEFORE everyones ready to leave. I feel more confident wearing them when I ride (even in the heat of summer!)

But I've encountered lots of remarks by other riders about why I go through the hassle. They seem unconvinced when I tell them I don't consider it a hassle (I seriously don't)

I may eventually buy dragging jeans, but I'd still wear the armoured version. Thing is, I'm encountering more and more riders that ride with no gear. I'm NOT proposing I'm considering joining them, but I kinda feel like they think I'm from Mars!

So I appreciate the people on this forum.

Just wondered who else out there does the overpant routine?

kywally
10-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Bugguts, like the old saying goes, ride your own ride.....

remy_marathe
10-25-2005, 03:24 PM
I did the completely change from riding pants to jeans routine for a while when I first started riding to work; you're right, it's not really that big a hassle to do. Two minutes if that.
I've drawn a line with myself on the pants; I won't do freeway speeds or any recreational ride without pants, even though that means I end up walking around in silly Honda "racing pants" all day in a strange place. Rather than change them, I'll just sweat with them and take off my jacket when we get where we're going. I don't overheat very easily.

For those worried about the looks you will get while riding in gear, it's really not that bad. Most non-riders have no clue, and will mistake your full gear to mean you're an aggressive rider. Children gawk, but that's kind of funny and they're usually awed.

I rolled into a motel once, and met a couple in the bar that rode a harley roadking, minimal gear. The wife at one point asked "Are you the one that rode in in all black?". My gear, and how much of it I had, clearly amused them. That didn't keep us all from hitting it off and partying most of the night.
People who genuinely know the risks and ride without gear will understand why you choose to wear yours. The rest are ignorant, or at least have really messed up priorities and aren't worth your concern.