PDA

View Full Version : Boot marks on chrome pipes

Bugguts
09-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Any sage suggestions on how to get black scuff marks from motorcycle boots off the chrome pipes?

GRYDE001
09-27-2005, 12:57 PM
I have seen a paste somewhere that takes marks off chrome pipes, J & P cycles propably sells it.

Paduan
09-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Blue Job Chrome Polish should remove scuff marks, as well as removing gross blueing.

Zixxer10
09-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Since everyone else is wondering, I may as well ask. How did you get boot marks on your exhaust system? (Couldn't find the foot pegs?)

MikSchultz
09-27-2005, 04:21 PM
`(don't try till other`s confirm)

steel wool?

subvetSSN606
09-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Steel wool will leave scratches.

Oven cleaner is often recommended, but be very careful not to get it anywhere but on the chrome.

Tom

dcom
09-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Turtle Wax chrome polish

NYRobG
09-27-2005, 05:06 PM
I've used oven cleaner in the past for boot scuffs. You MUST be very careful not to let any errant spray get on anything else but the chrome pipes.

Take a ride. A nice long one. Heat up your pipes nice and good, keep it running and spray on the oven cleaner taking care to drape any exposed areas that might catch some of the spray. Keep it running for a few minutes and then wipe it off with a clean cloth. That should do the trick for you, it has for me.

dcom
09-27-2005, 05:09 PM
On hot pipes, even a damp towel will usually take off boot marks, just don't let the towel sit on the pipes too long.

Johnny Dollar
09-27-2005, 05:50 PM
Someone please let me know If I'm a complete moron for using it, but......I think the best stuff on earth for cleaning chrome is........drumroll.......plain old windex. As far as removing boot scuffs, I don't know. I've never had to do it. I can tell you that windex does a pretty good job of removing road tar. I've never sprayed it onto a hot part. I've only used it after letting things cool off completely. Who knows. I got a pretty good jibe in on my brother who was buying the Harley Brand Chrome Spray Polish for his bike. I cleaned one side with windex and one side with his expensive polish. He couldn't tell the difference and felt a little silly for spending the money on it. I recommend using paper towels as the cloth ones can leave little dust bunnies on your bike.

911Radioman
09-27-2005, 07:16 PM
I just had this happen today. My wife took the day off work and we hit the road for a two-up ride. She happened to miss the foot peg and some of her shoe left itself on the muffler.

When I got back home I let the bike cool down and then I took some Never Dull and gave it a little rub and it came right off. Might be worth a try for you.

Hope this helps!

NuBiker
09-27-2005, 07:46 PM
On my VLX, I always get black marks on my exhaust pipe, it's on the right side of my bike. I wear overpants and high top boots, so I don't feel any heat to help me correct whatever it is I am doing to burn against the pipes. But I have never found any scortching on my overpants, boots, or Aerostitch suit....

Best Regards,
NuBiker

Since everyone else is wondering, I may as well ask. How did you get boot marks on your exhaust system? (Couldn't find the foot pegs?)

Bugguts
09-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Ditto NuBiker! It's my right pipe. I also wear overpants and high boots. I think I must slide my right foot back and turn my toe out or something, and my heel is touching the pipe.

94Vgo535Chick
09-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Here is what I do.
I use mothers mag polish for tough boot marks on Hubbys exhaust. H has Sampson pipes on his Sportster. I guess his boots are wide and that might cause them to touch the pipes when he adjusts his foot positions when riding. I agree I am thinking it might be a heel scuff most of the time.
Be warned to use a very small bit of the mothers mag polish because it is abrasive.
Its rougher than toothpaste but not as bad as a liquid bathroom cleanser.
I clean the exhaust when the hot parts are cooled off. I use a clean shop rag to apply a very small bit of mothers mag polish and wipe it all off. Followed by a wipe down with Windex with a paper towel.
I will occasionally go over the cold exhaust with never dull. When I polish the bikes after a wash for rims, forks engine stuff. I mainly use never dull to keep the haze off shiny parts.
Windex/glass cleaner works wonders for keeping shiny parts dust free in between washes and gets rid of water marks after washing.

I would love to use the blue job on my exhaust it is starting to blue slightly. I seen it at one of the local dealers and wondered if it would clean them up. I have a Jardine exhaust on my Virago. Its not a blue color on my exhaust but a goldish color right now.
I have heard about a product that you could coat the inside of new pipes so they would never blue to begin with but no one seems to know the name of the product. But that wouldnt really help the exhaust now anyhow.

Take care

GRYDE001
09-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Here is what I do.
I use mothers mag polish for tough boot marks on Hubbys exhaust.

Will you please tell me how he got you to clean his bike?? My wife doesn't take a big enough part in the cleanliness of my bike, and I think it's high time she started.
>>>
Me: Honey, my bike's dirty.
Her: Shut up, Desperate Housewives is on, and by the way, there's hot-pockets in the freezer for your dinner.
>>>
Or something like that.

94Vgo535Chick
09-28-2005, 05:57 PM
He works on my bike so I take care of my mechanic`s bike. LOL. He keeps up the mechanical stuff on my bike and installs my new parts. He don`t put it off and usually I dont even have to ask him to make time to do it. A good mechanic is hard to find.

That scuff is always there everytime he takes his bike out. It might be in the same place right now since the last time we were out I never checked. ok off to check it out

Take care
:chopper:

Cindy
09-28-2005, 09:23 PM
I got tired of fooling with different things, now I just use a razor blade on a cool pipe.

E-Man
09-28-2005, 09:32 PM
Me: Honey, my bike's dirty.
Her: Shut up, Desperate Housewives is on, and by the way, there's hot-pockets in the freezer for your dinner.
>>>
Or something like that.

I think I married your sister-in-law!

Bugguts
11-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks all! The never-dull worked like a charm! Now I gotta pay attention to where I'm putting my big feet!

kywally
11-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Turtle Wax Chrome Polish usually does the job for me...

Divacycle
12-03-2005, 05:38 PM
I've used many things.......micro - fiber cloths ( walmart) work the best with all of the below

1)Easy Off

.2)Nev'r Dull ( get this at any auto part store)...buff with micro fiber cloth

3)a wet, soapy S O S pad ( rub lightly) when it is really bad ...also worked on getting blueing out.....works great!

4)Scratch Out ( Walmart)...my 3 yr lod scratched ( scribbled) my rear fender with a gravel stone....with scratch out...you cant tell it ever happened.

I'm a clean freak and I own a cleaning co. I like to keep my bike in show room condition.

E-Man
12-03-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm a clean freak and I own a cleaning co. I like to keep my bike in show room condition.

Are you available for hire? :wink:

mudarra
12-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Someone please let me know If I'm a complete moron for using it, but......I think the best stuff on earth for cleaning chrome is........drumroll.......plain old windex. As far as removing boot scuffs, I don't know. I've never had to do it. I can tell you that windex does a pretty good job of removing road tar. I've never sprayed it onto a hot part. I've only used it after letting things cool off completely. Who knows. I got a pretty good jibe in on my brother who was buying the Harley Brand Chrome Spray Polish for his bike. I cleaned one side with windex and one side with his expensive polish. He couldn't tell the difference and felt a little silly for spending the money on it. I recommend using paper towels as the cloth ones can leave little dust bunnies on your bike.

Windex is a great chrome polish. I heard about it from a guy that does custom auto/cycle painting. The problem with a lot of commercial chrome polishes, is most actually take some of the chrome off.
I've never tried windex on warm pipes, or for wifes boot marks. I would think the windex would evaprate too quickly on hot pipes to do any good.

Missy B
12-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Every time I see this thread, I always think...Yeah, but what about those pipe marks on my boot from H's cruiser?? (That'll teach me to borrow his bike again...LOL)

lil_bear
12-04-2005, 07:22 PM
I dont have boot marks on my pipes, but I do have residue from a plastic bag that burned on. Not a pretty smell, Any idea how to get that off?

mephibosheth
12-08-2005, 03:03 PM
I had the same problem with boot marks and my leather saddle bags melting on my exhaust. nothing else worked until a mechanic suggested getting a sharp razor blade and carefully skimming the melted rubber off. i tried it and worked beautifully! A lot of people don't know this, but chrome is a very hard metal surface and you won't leave scratches. It works!