PDA

View Full Version : First wrenching on the Ninja 250

GundamPilotX
09-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Fun, fun, fun!!!

My brother and I partially dismantled the Ninja last night to do the 3,000 mi. service on it. We checked a hundred things on the list in the owners manual, did a general lubrication, changed the oil and oil filter, and changed the spark plugs (which required taking off the side covers and tank). All in all, a VERY educational experience, and he and I got to boot our S.O.'s out to spend a couple of hours in the garage by ourselves. It was very relaxing.

A couple of points of interest:

1. I should have thought to run the tank dry before we had to take it off. It wasn't that heavy, it just would have been easier if it was empty to begin with.

2. The tolerances are TIGHT in there...they don't waste any space on those things. Be sure to have a GOOD assortment of tools, socket extensions, magnets for when you inevitably drop crap into places your hands won't reach, etc.

3. You're supposed to run the engine awhile before you take the oil drain plug out. I did, but maybe i shouldn't have run it as long as I did....THAT SHIT IS HOT.

4. Read the manual carefully--it helps immensely.

Justin

TBeck2000
09-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Very good points. Since I bought my bike, I have noticed how tight everything is put together. I used to think that my Toyota MR2 was a tight squeeze to work on, but it's nothing compared to a motorcycle. Always gives you an opportunity to get more tools to reach everything.

yossarian
09-08-2005, 01:27 PM
My bike was made to wrench on... its so awesome, especially when you consider how often it needs it. I never thought I'd have a bike easier to work on than my MR2 (sn Nik on mr2oc.com), my old honda elite was a pain...

Derick
09-08-2005, 01:54 PM
use an air ratchet or power ratchet to get the oil drain plug outta there, it IS hot!!