PDA

View Full Version : TGPR 8-20-22 Wera race

mechdziner714
08-13-2010, 11:44 AM
I just signed up for Ed Bargy practice on Friday, anyone else?
Not real sure what I'll end up racing that weekend.
I'll be possibly maybe buying an SV and hoping to get some seat time on a 250 ninjer for the upcoming endurance race.

Oh LDS another reminder :heyyou:to get us registered for the Endurance race :horse:, if you need money or info let me know.

:biker::biker::biker::biker:

Any spektaters gonna show up?

Catt42
08-13-2010, 12:09 PM
We "may" be able to make friday with the Ninjer bikes :thumbsup:, since I can't take off the following friday to go to MotoGP. :nono2:

Karl_L
08-13-2010, 12:29 PM
We "may" be able to make friday with the Ninjer bikes :thumbsup:, since I can't take off the following friday to go to MotoGP. :nono2:

I'm in for the full weekend. I better get a room reserved. Anyone interested in splitting a room?

LoDownSinner
08-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Just found out I have to work that Friday. Stephen, do you want to take the Ninja down for Friday practice?

mechdziner714
08-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Yea I'll take it for sure, just need space to bring 2 bikes back that my truck cant quite handle. Possibly could handle just 2 bikes but there's gonna be a lot of other stuff. Any prep work needed on the 250? I'm lakin it this weekend but I could come over for some prep work next week.

Whats the hotel we stay at called?
I think Jan is planning on coming down Friday night, any chance she could ride w/ you guys from Nashville?

Is ProfHH coming?

Prof._HH
08-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Don't know if I'll be there yet. The new pay checks are kickin' in but I have to see how full the racing account is first. The new boss will be back Monday too - I'll have to work out days off with him. Should know for sure Tuesday. Cutting it close I know but that's the best I can do right now. I won't be there for Friday's practice. Hope to be there early eavening Friday.

Catt42
08-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Econo Lodge in Oxford, AL (http://www.econolodge.com/hotel-oxford-alabama-AL434?sid=LQSAi.5DRVtgSmG.8) <<< Link

Prof._HH
08-17-2010, 08:04 PM
It's just Mech. and me then? Karl - you gonna replate the 714 ninjette with your numbers and hang out with us?

LoDownSinner
08-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Stephen has the Ninjette. You guys work it out from there...

spotbeagle
08-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Ahh . . . do I miss racing my mini with WERA West. When life's curve balls work out I'll hopefully be back someday. I miss Sean and Evelyne too. I've had several WERA friends ask me to come out and volunteer to help with tech inspection or timing/scoring. I'm definitely thinking about it.

Karl_L
08-17-2010, 11:26 PM
It's just Mech. and me then? Karl - you gonna replate the 714 ninjette with your numbers and hang out with us?

Not sure what I'll get done. Stephen is looking into an engine that might be available in Nashville and I've been preparing the bike & everything I need to make that happen. If that works out then maybe I can swap engines at the track & run the ninjette schedule, otherwise I'll throw my gear in the car & come out & see what happens.

When are you planning on arriving?

BTW, I discovered that there is a screen before the oil filter. This is what I found.

http://karl-l.smugmug.com/photos/973781927_VaLNx-M-1.jpg

Catt42
08-18-2010, 05:39 AM
That does not look good at all.

Prof._HH
08-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Are you sure that's not a gutter cover to catch leaves in the fall?

I'm working 1/2 day Friday then heading out. It'll be late when we get there - 11:00 ish probably. I also have to work Monday so we'll be leaving Sunday right after my last race.

shonuff
08-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Karl, I think you found part of your problem.

mechdziner714
08-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Looks like main bearing peices. I would go ahead & yank it out. Its not probably not worth fixin when you can a used one for 400$, unless you wanna "build" one.

Just talked to the guy w/ motor & he is checking it out now and I will know in a couple of hours.

I plan to leave Thursday around 4pm and hope to make it in before the gate closes

Karl_L
08-18-2010, 11:10 AM
I agree, a replacement is a good option. Do you know if the engine has been refreshed or is it right out of the original bike? If you trust your guy & he says it's a good motor then that's good enough for me. Let me know how it works and & I can call with a credit card #.

mechdziner714
08-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Well its just a used motor from Greens Cycle Salvage (http://www.greenscycle.com/). My friend Tad proprietor of Bellevue Cycle gets stuff from him all the time and I understand he's a stand up guy. I've met him a few times as he makes regular trips here. I can ask about the mileage or your more than welcome to give him a shout. You dont see many of these motors with huge amounts of miles on them. If you want to freshen it I can look into that but it wouldn't be ready for this weekend for sure. My opinion is throw it and see what happens.

Karl_L
08-18-2010, 11:43 AM
That's fine. I talked to Bob at SBC, he has a lot of experience inside these engines. He gave me a couple things to check on a used motor before installing.

Prof._HH
08-19-2010, 07:33 AM
Save me a pit spot guys. I'll see you Saturday AM.

Are one of you bringing a pop-up canopy (or two)? I can find one, if needed.

Karl_L
08-19-2010, 08:13 AM
You can use my canopy, looks like I won't be needing it.

Prof._HH
08-19-2010, 08:26 AM
What happened to the replacement engine idea? Are you still coming?

Catt42
08-19-2010, 08:38 AM
You can pick up an easy-up on your way through Nashville if you need to...

Karl_L
08-19-2010, 08:53 AM
It looks like the replacement needs a little work. I'm hoping to have it ready by the endurance race.

I'm coming Friday to hang out for the weekend.

Prof._HH
08-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Got our reservation made - the normal place was all booked - except for rooms with double beds so we're at the courtyard.

Anybody know a way to keep the well nuts on the windscreen from backing out on the trailer? On my way home from Nashville, the well nuts all backed out and my windscreen was against the gate. Would locktight hold them on?

Karl_L
08-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Duct tape? Silicone?

mechdziner714
08-19-2010, 09:48 AM
We are bringing a canopy, wouldn't hurt to have another.

Those well nuts are supposed to swell when the screw is tightened. If the hole is too big they wont hold. You can either put a regular nut & bolt on or get bigger well nuts. I have yet figured out a good way to make the hole smaller.

subvetSSN606
08-19-2010, 09:57 AM
I have yet figured out a good way to make the hole smaller.

That's what she said!

(Pardon the interruption... I couldn't resist!) :mrgreen:

Tom

Karl_L
08-19-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm bringing my canopy too. I'm just trying to decide if I want to drag the trailer just for the pit bike. I'll probably just toss the bicycle into the back of the exploder.

Those well nuts are supposed to swell when the screw is tightened. If the hole is too big they wont hold. You can ... get bigger well nuts.

Ask this guy: http://karl-l.smugmug.com/Other/Avatars/EnzGuy/95021467_HsreA-O.jpg

mechdziner714
08-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Bigger nuts will help you on the race track as well, up to a point.

Prof._HH
08-23-2010, 08:16 AM
How'd the rest of Sunday go?

Little sore today and the seam imprint on my shoulder is starting to fill in quite nicely.

Karl_L
08-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Sunday went pretty well. Since my bike was in parts (exposition) Kurt offered me his old gen Ninjette. I swapped out plates, took off his side stand & then went to registration. I had pre-registered but on Saturday I withdrew from all of my races. Luckily I was able to un-withdrawl from Clubman & ESS, I didn't even have to stand in line. Stephen signed up for the same races.

Practice sessions were fun. The first was just to get used to the unfamiliar bike. After the first I put my front sprocket on. It is 1 tooth down and that made a big difference. For much of the second session I was behind Stephen & Gary Gay on his new gen. I passed Gary on the inside in the 90s then passed Stephen going onto the back straight. Then Gary passed us both with about 4 SVs & a motard on his tail on the back straight. 7 or 8 of use went into the farmhouse turn together. The motard wasn't moving too fast and I went around him on the outside in turn 1. I was pretty surprised about that. It was a good session.

Clubman was first. We were at the back of course. I got a good start and Stephen didn't. I'm not sure how far back he was but he never caught me so I got a not last!

ESS was the opposite. He got a good start and I didn't. And my bad start lasted for 3 or 4 laps. I kept missing shifts, up and down, and had trouble getting my feet positioned on the pegs. Tired, dehydrated, unfamiliar bike, etc... I even gave some thought to coming in & calling it a day but then I started getting my coordination back. I never did catch up with Stephen & John but I did get to see an epic battle for next to last and next to next to last.

We were sorry you had to leave early. What time did you get home?

shonuff
08-23-2010, 08:46 AM
How'd the rest of Sunday go?

Little sore today and the seam imprint on my shoulder is starting to fill in quite nicely.

I sense there's a story hear. And that it probably involves replacing bike parts...

Prof._HH
08-23-2010, 08:53 AM
We got back around 10:00. Thanks to the help I got Sat. night, I'm pretty sure I could have run the races. My head/heart just wasn't in it. Figured discretion was the better part of valour. I have a couple bent things to put back but it's pretty minor. The upper stay held up to the highway. I'll get it apart in the next couple weeks to get the body straightened out.

I'm pretty happy with the overall result. When I unloaded I ran pretty consistent 1:27 - 1:28. The last 10 laps I ran were in the 1:16-1:17 range. Can't be too disapointed with dropping 10 seconds in 3 sessions. The left of the rear tire is pretty chewed up now. May be time for new rubber. I have to really work on body position. I think I was just leaned over too far when I got back in the gas.

Karl_L
08-23-2010, 08:58 AM
I didn't look at your race lap times, that's huge!

shonuff
08-23-2010, 09:03 AM
that's huge!

That's what she said! :crackup:

I now return you to your regularly schedule thread.....:smug:

Prof._HH
08-23-2010, 09:35 AM
I sense there's a story hear. And that it probably involves replacing bike parts...

Saturday was a drink from the firehose day. I was picking up new stuff every time I went through a turn. My times were getting better and I was feeling more comfortable taking turns faster than I'd tried before. Anyway, I'd just come out of 2 90 degree right hand turns and was heading for a big sweeping left. George passed me just before the entrance to the turn so I got in line behind him. My knee went over the apex cone and I started to give it a little gas. Got a huge wobble from the rear end. Next thing I know, the bike is upright heading for the rumble strips on the outside. I rode through the grass a few feet and went over on the left side. My shoulder hit pretty hard - stamping the seam and padding impression in my arm. The damage wasn't too bad. One of the arms on the upper stay broke and the shift lever broke.

Unfortunately, there was a rider on my right who got collected in the mess. He was one of the kids on a mini. After my heart rate got closer to normal, I found him and talked to him and his mother. He was cool - wish I could remember his name now. He rode a sand colored #82. Anyway, he could have been pissed about the old dude that took him out - not so much. He did get back out on Sunday - glad I didn't end his weekend.

I've heard a few comments from some other riders in my sessions. Basically, I'm still not off the seat far enough. I think I had the bike over so far the rear end was barely hanging on. Just a little throttle and it broke loose. I'm not sure what happened after that. I made a series of mistakes that put me in the grass - probably chopped the throttle, probably looked at the bike on my right, probably looked at the cones I didn't want to hit and finally, gave up the fight in the turn. I should have pulled the bike back into the turn no matter where I was on the track. It's easy to say that now but things happen so fast. In less than a second, you're rolling through the grass.

shonuff
08-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Glad to hear to walked away from it and the bike sounds like it faired pretty well also.

Catt42
08-23-2010, 11:51 AM
James sorry to hear about the spill. Glad you are relatively OK. Now go get new tires, do NOT take those on the track again.... :nono2::nono2: :thumbsup:
We hated to miss a Tally round, but its cool to hear the stories

Karl_L
08-23-2010, 12:06 PM
We hated to miss a Tally round, but its cool to hear the stories

We hated you to miss it too :) It was a good weekend but just not the same.

mechdziner714
08-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Yup we and many others missed you guys a lot this weekend. Like George said it was a F*cking great weekend, only thing that would made it better if You and Dewayne had been there. Logan raced the RC51 and did real well, got a 2 or 3rd place finish.

Watching Hayden Gillum (sp?) was very intense. I had heard the kid was fast but holy crap he smoked the field. He was doing an endo into the Farmhouse turn almost every lap. The older Gerloff kid wasn't too far behind him doing the leg dangle thing.

The ESS race was probably the most fun I've ever had. Got a killer launch but the experts & new Gens guys checked out after the 90's. That left the 3 older gen bikes in the back to battle each other(John, Karl, & myself). On lap 3 or 4 I looked over my shoulder on the back straight to see John about 16" off my 5 o'clock. He and I swapped positions 3 or 4 times. You could tell the 3 of us were pretty evenly matched because any tiny mistake would result in a pass. Unfortunately Karl got a slightly bad start and was too far back to join us. There was no way in hell either one of us was gonna back off til the checkers came out. I ended up passing John in the 90's on the last lap and taking not last or not next to last place. I'm still high from it. Gonna need another fix soon.

Karl_L
08-23-2010, 01:29 PM
On lap 3 or 4 I looked over my shoulder on the back straight to see John about 16" off my 5 o'clock. He and I swapped positions 3 or 4 times.

I had a good seat for that show. I was cheering for you when you got him on the last lap!