PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a car battery charger on my MC battery?

sorny
08-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Or will it push too much amperage and damage it?

midknyte
08-30-2005, 03:10 PM
No, you should not. You are correct, it will push to many amps at it.

You can safely charge and maintain a motorcycle battery with battery tender designed for bikes.

It will also come with a "pigtail" (wires ending in a charging dongle) that you can affix to your battery and route to to a convenient spot on your bike so you can plug it in whenever you are not riding.

sorny
08-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the tip. I WAS going to try it anyways, but now I don't think I'll destroy my nice $45 battery ;) Wonder if I can get a MC battery charger at Wal*Mart? I'm out in the middle of nowhere and that's about my only option besides ordering.

sorny
08-30-2005, 03:15 PM
Oh, whats the best amperage for charging a dead MC battery? Not for storage or to trickle charge, but just charging up to ride?

midknyte
08-30-2005, 03:40 PM
The afformentioned trickle charger will fully charge a motorcycle battery.

It should do so in a couple of hours, certainly overnight.
The one that I have has an indicator LED that goes from Red to Green when charged.

They only cost about $35 (or less) and will pay for itself in the battery that you
do not ruin...

midknyte
08-30-2005, 03:42 PM
Dunno if you would have thought to try, but look for one at a Harley Davidson shop.
They're all over and they keep them in stock (I always see one there...).

sanglant
08-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Depending on the charger, you can charge an MC battery with a car charger. I've done it with mine several times, but it has a selectable charge range. If you were careless and used the high amp range, Midnyte is dead on right, you'll blow the battery. On the low amp range (5 max on my charger) it works just fine. If you do this, bear in mind that an MC battery will charge much faster than a car battery, and you need to keep a close eye on the charge condition if you don't have a "smart" charger. Don't ever use the "start assist" mode on a bike.

12B-riding
08-30-2005, 04:37 PM
I bought mine at Wal Mart. It is a trickle charger for Motorcycle batteries. When deciding to replace mine it said not to charge it faster than 10% of the amps on the battery. My charger charges at 1.5 and it took 10 hours to fully charge a brand new battery. It has the cool little maintainer with it as well so I can hook up and charge whenever I need it and has the same led light that indicates when it is fully charged. If you use a car charger it will make your battery overcharge resulting in voltage regulator failure, battery death, and or the battery exploding while charging. It should never get too hot when charging. Hope this helped someone out there! :)

subvetSSN606
08-30-2005, 06:36 PM
Depends on the charger. Some are versatile and can be used for cars as well as motorcycles and lawn mowers.

Important part is that it has a low amp setting (2 amps is plenty low enough), and it's best if it has a fully automatic setting. Charging on the manual setting requires close monitoring to avoid overcharging.

Tom

HotFix
08-30-2005, 07:17 PM
My shop manual suggests 1.5A for a dead battery, but says 2A is fine.

I never bother. If my battery dies, I just pop start the thing and ride for about 30 min. :)

sorny
08-31-2005, 08:15 AM
I bought mine at Wal Mart. It is a trickle charger for Motorcycle batteries. When deciding to replace mine it said not to charge it faster than 10% of the amps on the battery. My charger charges at 1.5 and it took 10 hours to fully charge a brand new battery. It has the cool little maintainer with it as well so I can hook up and charge whenever I need it and has the same led light that indicates when it is fully charged. If you use a car charger it will make your battery overcharge resulting in voltage regulator failure, battery death, and or the battery exploding while charging. It should never get too hot when charging. Hope this helped someone out there! :)

I bought this same charger last night! I was going to check out my dad's car charger and see if it had a low (2 amp) setting but I was at Wal*Mart anyways and saw this MC charger for $17.99 and thought Wow! Might as well get one. It's the kind that has the quick disconnects for the battery, like you and the other guys were talking about. I'll probably not use it though because I don't have a garage and that would mean my charger would be sitting outside, next to the house... probably a bad idea ;)

TBeck2000
08-31-2005, 08:25 AM
Here's the charger I own:
http://content.sears.com/data/product_images/028/71220/02871220000-dlv.jpg (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=AUTO&bidsite=&pid=02871220000&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes)
It's $30 from your local Sears.

GRYDE001
08-31-2005, 08:32 AM
I found mine at Auto Zone for $19.99.

sorny
08-31-2005, 10:18 AM
The one I bought at Wal*Mart was $17.99 and looks pretty similar to that DieHard, same layout anyways. Not a bad deal.. I expected to spend $40.