PDA

View Full Version : One search every 30 seconds??

MikeInSLC
01-21-2005, 12:18 AM
I was doing a search, and when I tried to do a second, I got a message..." The administrator...allows...only one search every 30 seconds." or something along those lines....is this an intentional setting or an unknown default?? A bit annoying either way.

Derick
01-21-2005, 12:24 AM
its an internal setting. Too many sql queries per short period of time can really slow down performance

MikeInSLC
01-21-2005, 09:53 AM
I would see that being a problem if it's actually using SQL selects to find keywords....lousy approach to searching.

Oh well...I don't see me doing a whole lot of searching, but a new user coming here (especially after there are 10's of thousands of posts) and searching for info is going to have a hard time.

HotFix
01-21-2005, 12:55 PM
I have hit that error a few times. I like it. Too many times have I seen SQL query analyzer not showing the DB not keeping up with those 'searching pings'

AntiNazi
01-21-2005, 01:24 PM
I would see that being a problem if it's actually using SQL selects to find keywords....lousy approach to searching.

Oh well...I don't see me doing a whole lot of searching, but a new user coming here (especially after there are 10's of thousands of posts) and searching for info is going to have a hard time.
thats funny, thats assuming that n00bs actually use the search. anyone thats been on a forum for any amount of time knows thats a myth....

MikeInSLC
01-21-2005, 01:27 PM
I guess I'm projecting my use of a forum on others....when I first show up, I do a lot of searching ... especially when I'm looking for something in particular.

AntiNazi
01-21-2005, 01:31 PM
I guess I'm projecting my use of a forum on others....when I first show up, I do a lot of searching ... especially when I'm looking for something in particular.
you are a statistical anomally then... the forum i frequent the most has a the forum search bar on every page, a google search of the site on every page. and the search toolbar next to quick links and we still get the same threads to pop up every 2 weeks with a new author.....