PDA

View Full Version : "Looks too small for you, buddy!"

Missy B
04-11-2010, 12:35 AM
*sigh* and *eyeroll*

A local Honda dealership here had an Open House today where our motorcycle safety program had a booth so Cam and I covered a couple of hours at the booth. Guess where I found Cam? :mrgreen:

I pull out the (brand new) '08 CRF70 from its line and have him sit on it. As soon as he does, a salesman comes over and says, "Looks too small for you, buddy."

Now, I was ready to try to support this dealership. It's where we get our program bikes from (bought) and it's a family-owned business - and has been for years. Not sure why I haven't previously, but thought...Hmmm....should look into it.

Until bonehead salesman came over and said my 8 year old son looked too big for a CRF70. Not flatfooted. What an idiot. I still talked to him, maybe offered him a bit of an education.

"Oh, well, ok, that would probably be the perfect upgrade for him, then." Um hmm.

They want $1,530 for the new 08. They have a used 07 CRF70 that needs a rear tube (they will replace) for $995.
Hmmmm.

SoCal LabRat
04-11-2010, 06:38 AM
At least here you wouldn't have to worry about ownership issues. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see your face when the sales guy said that. :mrgreen:

Catt42
04-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Missy > :slap: < Sales guy LOL Don't mess with an informed mommy/RiderCoach...

wolfram
04-11-2010, 11:47 AM
They must be trying to unload that (slightly) used VFR gathering dust in the back of the store. Hey! He can see over the seat! It's perfect fit, and he won't get bored with it....

twizted1
04-11-2010, 05:36 PM
:crackup:

Don't worry Missy...I've got a KX85 sitting here now (it and cash for the YZ250F), Cam can ride it if you bring him this way! :twisted:

Missy B
04-11-2010, 05:48 PM
What do you all think about an 08 leftover priced at $1530? (MSRP $1699)?
Kinda leaning toward the 07 at $995, if it's not thrashed.

Missy B
04-11-2010, 05:49 PM
They must be trying to unload that (slightly) used VFR gathering dust in the back of the store. Hey! He can see over the seat! It's perfect fit, and he won't get bored with it....

This made me :crackup: .

twizted1
04-11-2010, 08:44 PM
What do you all think about an 08 leftover priced at $1530? (MSRP $1699)?
Kinda leaning toward the 07 at $995, if it's not thrashed.

If the 07 is in good shape....I'd go for it, Cam will probably not care which you get him as long as he gets one!!

shonuff
04-11-2010, 08:50 PM
If the 07 is in good shape....I'd go for it, Cam will probably not care which you get him as long as he gets one!!

this :thumbsup:

Missy B
04-11-2010, 09:16 PM
If the 07 is in good shape....I'd go for it, Cam will probably not care which you get him as long as he gets one again!!

Fixed that for ya. :mrgreen:

LoDownSinner
04-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Not to play the Devil's Advocate or anything, but the way dirt bikes are built today, the ability to flatfoot one actually does mean it's a bit too small...

Missy B
04-11-2010, 11:53 PM
...and he's not flatfoot on it.

LoDownSinner
04-12-2010, 12:15 AM
...and she's not amused by my comment. :crackup:

Kind of off the subject, but kind of not, but...

Satuday's Mini 50 class race at Tally was incredible. This little bitty guy, Caleb, was on a KTM 50. He stalled it on the start. The little guy can barely get one foot partway down on the ground. As he was kicking it, trying to restart, he fell over. The grid marshals ran over and picked it up and helped him get it started. By this time, the rest of the bikes were about halfway through the first lap. Caleb jumped on the bike and took off, ring-ding-ding-dinging as fast as that little orange smoker would go into turn one.

My comment when he got going? "Hmmmm... There goes a future Daytona 200 winner."

He won the race. :thumbsup:

Missy B
04-12-2010, 12:54 AM
I am amused. :mrgreen: I just haven't forgotten that lil speech you gave me years ago about wanting a bike I could pick up and handle out on the trails while highsided on rocks, ditches, etc. I wanted a KLR. You said get something smaller. I did, and I'm really glad I did because I've been in some situations with the XT that if I had had a KLR, well....who knows.

It remains the basis for picking something for Cam, too. Sure, if he was out on a track where he didn't have to worry about ditches, ravines, cactus, etc then I'd be less concerned about him flatfooting and unintentionally wheelie'ing a bike. As a matter of fact, we almost went with the KLX 110 but then we said something to him about accidentally goosing the throttle out on the trails and he might be in a world of hurt. He said, "Yeah, and I've done that before!"

So...I'm ok with getting him the CRF70 and having to get him another one in a year or two or whenever it turns out to be if he physically outgrows it.

twizted1
04-12-2010, 08:04 AM
I am amused. :mrgreen: I just haven't forgotten that lil speech you gave me years ago about wanting a bike I could pick up and handle out on the trails while highsided on rocks, ditches, etc. I wanted a KLR. You said get something smaller. I did, and I'm really glad I did because I've been in some situations with the XT that if I had had a KLR, well....who knows.

It remains the basis for picking something for Cam, too. Sure, if he was out on a track where he didn't have to worry about ditches, ravines, cactus, etc then I'd be less concerned about him flatfooting and unintentionally wheelie'ing a bike. As a matter of fact, we almost went with the KLX 110 but then we said something to him about accidentally goosing the throttle out on the trails and he might be in a world of hurt. He said, "Yeah, and I've done that before!"

So...I'm ok with getting him the CRF70 and having to get him another one in a year or two or whenever it turns out to be if he physically outgrows it.

:thumbsup:

That's the right mindset on it Missy! As long as he's still enjoying it, you can sell his old bike and get him a new (or new to him) bike and he'll be good to go!

mechdziner714
04-12-2010, 10:32 AM
You should see grown men racing 50,70,80 &100's in a parking lot.
Big guys on lil bikes (http://www.minimotard.org/)

Ironfish653
04-21-2010, 05:37 AM
You should see grown men racing 50,70,80 &100's in a parking lot.
Big guys on lil bikes (http://www.minimotard.org/)

LOL, that looks like a silly amount of fun.