PDA

View Full Version : What should I look for in a dirt / adventure boot?

asp125
04-02-2010, 09:51 PM
I know what to look for in street / race gear, but as a dual sport noob the street gear is not cutting it. Now with a gimpy ankle I am concerned with protection a well as support. A good thick repairable sole is I think, useful, what with jagged rocks and metal footpegs. What else? Height? # of buckles? Walking ability? Is Moose and Gearne any good compared to say Alpinestars and Fox Racing? Discuss..

LoDownSinner
04-03-2010, 12:09 AM
I used to be a staunch Alpinestars guy until they got so expensive. Now Thor seems to have the best boot for the buck.

Not long after I got the Thors, I was going around a guy who'd stopped on the trail. Pretty slow, 1st gear just kind of putting along, when all of a sudded my bike just stopped dead. I looked down and saw my foot had gotten wedged between the footpeg and a log. Didn't feel a thing, no pain, no injury, just stopped the bike. Good stuff!

twizted1
04-03-2010, 08:35 AM
+1 on the Thor's I've gotten a pair that I love. They've taken forever to break in, but now that they're broken in they're great! Good protection and good value.

wolfram
04-03-2010, 02:04 PM
I know what to look for in street / race gear, but as a dual sport noob the street gear is not cutting it. Now with a gimpy ankle I am concerned with protection a well as support. A good thick repairable sole is I think, useful, what with jagged rocks and metal footpegs. What else? Height? # of buckles? Walking ability? Is Moose and Gearne any good compared to say Alpinestars and Fox Racing? Discuss..

Yeah, which boot? I just took a quick look at Newenough, got a case of boot overload. I'm just not sure what I'm looking at- for dual-sport riding, a calf-high boot? Are they armored? Waterproof or not? Lots of buckles and widgets? I'd really rather not look like a bondage guy or a Power Ranger wannabe, but if that's what it takes to get the foot/ankle support and impact/rash protection... :shady:

asp125
04-03-2010, 04:44 PM
I hadn't selected a brand, I was thinking about the A* Tech 3's but now that I'm looking at the NE site, the Thors look pretty good too. Funny they don't have half sizes though.

wolfram
04-03-2010, 05:55 PM
+1 on the Thor's I've gotten a pair that I love. They've taken forever to break in, but now that they're broken in they're great! Good protection and good value.

Mmmm, which Thors? They look like the right boot, and not too expensive. I can't justify spending $400 on a pair of boots. Anyone know about boots from Moose or Fox Racing? Saw a very negative review on Moose on one site...the guy's boots came apart on his first ride- ?!

Missy B
04-03-2010, 06:53 PM
We mostly have cheap O'Neal's for outfitting the whole family but Cycle Gear recently had pink/black Thor boots on sale for our daughter. She couldn't do without them (girl has to be fashionable on the trails ya know). Because of the sale, they were only $20 or so more than the O'Neal's so we bought them for her.

She said they are WAY more comfy than the O'Neal's, which isn't much of a stretch, but...LOL.

I do wish the O'Neal's didn't have plastic buckles, but...they have definitely served their purpose over the 5 years or so we've been using them...and outgrowing them and buying new ones for the kids. LOL